SMM++

by Unknown

Back to Mechanic's Corner.

Unknown2011-03-30 14:40:46
While I was wandering away from Lusternia and playing a beta for a new MUD, I discovered a client called SMM++ (an admin there recommended it to me since I'm mentally handicapped have no sense of direction.). Been trying to compile it in Linux ever since, since it has a nice mapping feature that I find other clients lacking. Any help here? It's being very difficult to compile. X_X The problem being it requires tcl, and it's just being... gah. I went in and edited the makefile accordingly, but it's now saying tcl doesn't exist when I know it's installed, or at least it says it's installed even if I can't find it. If anyone who's far more pro than I am at Linux could help me, I'd wub.gif you forever.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/smm/

If it seems impossible, has anyone got any real experience with the CMUD mapper? Is it better? I'm not looking for a client for a combat system, just for exploring/mapping that may eventually evolve into coding.
Vadi2011-03-30 18:26:11
Mudlet's mapper would be easier to get to work than a program from 2003 :\\
Unknown2011-03-30 18:53:01
QUOTE (Vadi @ Mar 30 2011, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mudlet's mapper would be easier to get to work than a program from 2003 :\\

Aye, but I want to use SMM++ both for some mapping within Lusternia and some for Cardea. I'm under the impression that the mapper for Mudlet works with pre-made maps and can't be added to. I'm looking for a mapper that will map room by room without the use of the map command.
Vadi2011-04-02 14:00:41
Yeah, it can do that now. Just the mapping script doesn't include alises for it, but things like createRoom and etc are all there - some people are using it to make their own maps.
Unknown2011-04-02 18:37:54
QUOTE (Vadi @ Apr 2 2011, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, it can do that now. Just the mapping script doesn't include alises for it, but things like createRoom and etc are all there - some people are using it to make their own maps.

Ah, ok. I was using old Linux Mudlet forever. I'll experiment. Thanks!
Unknown2011-10-30 21:29:26
I've been using SMM++ for ages, and even though it hasn't been updated/supported for years it's still the best MUD client that I've ever found/used.

Just a few install notes...

First off, SMM++ is written in TCL/ITK which is a scripting language, so there is no compiling required.

In Linux (or BSD), you need to install tcl, itcl, and itk. Back when SMM++ was written, there were two separate binaries, wish and itkwish. In more recent versions of tcl the wish binary handles both. You therefore need to do the following.

Locate wish with the which command...

raw@nemesis:~$ which wish
/usr/bin/wish

CD to the location...

raw@nemesis:~$ cd /usr/bin
raw@nemesis:/usr/bin$

Create a soft link for the wish binary called itkwish...

raw@nemesis:/usr/bin$ ln -s wish itkwish

After doing that, follow the install notes and the client should start perfectly fine.

In windows, you need to install ActiveTcl to be able to run SMM++. I have found that the best version of ActiveTcl to use is version 8.4.15. It can be downloaded from the following link: http://dmon.org/down...86-threaded.exe

Hope this helps someone.

It's funny that you mention mapping for Cardea as I'm part of that project ;). In fact I'm probably the admin who mentioned it to you. I'm Aeon, so come find me if you're still interested in using SMM++ and need further assistance. I noticed that it's not working 100% with Cv3 yet. You can connect with SMM++ and issue single commands, the problem comes when you try to issue multiple commands at once by separating them with semicolons. SMM++ doesn't perfectly follow proper telnet protocol. I'll have to adjust Cv3's input handling to take this in to account (as I've seen other clients with the same issue and we want to support as many as possible). I hope to have the text handling modified in coming weeks. I've already had success adapting SMM++'s auto mapper to work with Cv3.

Cheers.
Unknown2011-10-31 01:16:51
rawdmon:

It's funny that you mention mapping for Cardea as I'm part of that project ;). In fact I'm probably the admin who mentioned it to you. I'm Aeon, so come find me if you're still interested in using SMM++ and need further assistance. I noticed that it's not working 100% with Cv3 yet. You can connect with SMM++ and issue single commands, the problem comes when you try to issue multiple commands at once by separating them with semicolons. SMM++ doesn't perfectly follow proper telnet protocol. I'll have to adjust Cv3's input handling to take this in to account (as I've seen other clients with the same issue and we want to support as many as possible). I hope to have the text handling modified in coming weeks. I've already had success adapting SMM++'s auto mapper to work with Cv3.

Cheers.

Yeah. I'm fairly sure it was you. I played as Aera/Aeral on Cardea v2/3. I use Mudlet mainly but I do still have SMM++, I just never was able to really get it working on Linux due to the total lack of support/info.

Also, this is massive thread necroing. :P