Google has failed me

by Riluna

Back to Mechanic's Corner.

Riluna2011-03-27 00:49:02
I'm trying to learn one of these coding systems/languages/whatever you call them.

I've learned a few commands in most of the common clients out there now, but I'm trying to find information that'll help me learn one more extensively, so I can customize stuff so it works a little better for me. I don't care what client/language it requires, so long as there's resources I can find somewhere to learn it.

So far, the most extensive information I've found is for lua. However, I can only find one of two things. First, the "simple" tutorials are so above my knowledge level that it requires hours of explanation to even begin for me. I'd prefer to start pretty basic, to learn it thouroughly enough to accomplish whatever, but those guides that start at the "beginning" (whatever that means) seem to teach things that have no relevance to scripting. At the end, I learned enough to make a program to balance my checkbook and do basic maths and such, but not setting up any aliases or triggers or anything.

Anyone have any advice, or any resources that could help?
Vadi2011-03-27 01:12:56
Sylphas2011-03-27 01:25:17
QUOTE (Riluna @ Mar 26 2011, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm trying to learn one of these coding systems/languages/whatever you call them.

I've learned a few commands in most of the common clients out there now, but I'm trying to find information that'll help me learn one more extensively, so I can customize stuff so it works a little better for me. I don't care what client/language it requires, so long as there's resources I can find somewhere to learn it.

So far, the most extensive information I've found is for lua. However, I can only find one of two things. First, the "simple" tutorials are so above my knowledge level that it requires hours of explanation to even begin for me. I'd prefer to start pretty basic, to learn it thouroughly enough to accomplish whatever, but those guides that start at the "beginning" (whatever that means) seem to teach things that have no relevance to scripting. At the end, I learned enough to make a program to balance my checkbook and do basic maths and such, but not setting up any aliases or triggers or anything.

If we can match times and you have skype/ventrilo I can give you crash course in programming with a focus on IRE MUDs.
Ilyarin2011-03-27 08:19:34
I can also try to help if we can match times. smile.gif
Ircria2011-03-27 20:53:17
QUOTE (Riluna @ Mar 26 2011, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Depending on which client you are using, documentation is usually out there. Vadi's earlier link for Mudlet will work if you use that. The MUSHclient documentation(here with a script function directory here) is also highly detailed, and does(if memory serves) go over basic lua functions. Also, I would take a look at the PiL book(Programming in Lua, here) for basics.

Also, if you need any help with any code or scripts, feel free to contact me in game or out(Skype is a.konnen) (This goes for everybody. If you need help, feel free to ask me in game or over Skype.). I'm familiar enough with both clients to be able to provide some support with scripting(though am far more familiar with MUSHclient).

If you need help and cannot get ahold of anybody to help you, I also recommend the MUSHclient or Mudlet forums(depending on what client you use. Links are http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?bbsection_id=1 and http://forums.mudlet.org/ respectively. There are also Mudlet and MUSHclient help threads in the Mechanic's Corner section of the Lusternia forums.