Viscanti Bard

by Unknown

Back to Survival Guide.

Unknown2011-03-26 09:32:49
So I'm thinking of creating a new character after a long absence. I've always liked characters that appeared to be somewhat monstrous but really aren't on closer inspection (E.g. beast from x-men).

To that end, I'm thinking about a Viscanti in the cacophony guild, who's main focus will be on influence. I'd still like him to get into combat, but later on in his development, and even then mainly for self defence.

Just a few questions:
Is 12 charisma (Irontongue Viscanti) too low for a primary influencer?
Is Level 2 Village Influencing a big deal?
Are all the damage resistances of the Viscanti completely nullified by the elixir penalty, or is it manageable?

Also, how demonic looking are Viscanti really? are there general rules or can I veer as far as I want into the "I'm a monster" territory?

music.gif monster.gif music.gif
Arix2011-03-26 10:26:13
Not really sure. You will have a weighted +2 charisma from bardic presence. Also if you combine that with netzach, you should have about 15 charisma, which isn't terrible.
Unknown2011-03-26 11:15:13
Actually, I looked into Necroscream a bit more and found that one of the lower abilities give viscanti a +3 weighted charisma buff. With Netzach and Bardic presence that gives +6 weighted. Which (if I understand how the weighting works unsure.gif) ends up being around 16 charisma, which appears to be comparable to other races without buffs, but tankier. The only problem I foresee is having to constantly stop during influence battles to keep my song going, but I can probably live with that.

I suppose what I'm really worried about is the elixir penalty, which means I'll be unable to easily recoup ego in influencing battles, and possibly nullifies the aforementioned "tankiness" of the race.

Or am I better off going with something like a faeling, with naturally high charisma, and high dexterity (with acrobatics = high dodge?) and an elixir bonus to offset the lack of tankiness. Plus I can probably find some roleplay value in being a tiny weak little faeling in the big bag city of Magnagora. Basically the opposite of my original intended character direction, but I'd rather have a character thats functional than one with a high RP value. (but having both would be nice!)
Gleip2011-03-26 11:21:50
Since you're using Necroscream you should end up well enough. Of course Faeling is going to be a better influencer, but Faelings are OP like that.

16 charisma is more than enough for influencing. what I've heard is 13-14 being needed to avoid getting counterhits in influencing. And with a beauty blessing, you'll get 17 charisma even. So don't worry.
Gleip2011-03-26 11:25:56
Also, you can choose for yourself just how much into the monster territory you go. You need to maintain a humanoid shape, but looking like this

or this

is perfectly fine.
Arix2011-03-26 12:01:56
Viscanti are basicly the mutts, from what I understand
Gleip2011-03-26 12:04:37
They have their own "it's magic" excuse.

"Why do you look like a mishmash of Aslaran, Loboshigaru, Trill and Orclach?"

"TAINT!"
Unknown2011-03-28 05:54:39
I found around 16 cha as a Tae'dae quite sufficient for influencing. The main thing was getting at least two of the relevant influences to alternate (eg. Begging and Supplication for charity), and as many of the various other buffs as possible: oils, Dramatics, a beast with influence training, etc. They're minor, but there are so many of them that they all add up. And then setting up a few triggers to influence again on regaining EQ, until I won the battle, saved me from both counter-arguments and carpal tunnel.
Unknown2011-03-28 09:17:24
Psh, I influence with 15 charisma as a lucidian. Anything above 12 is fine, from experience.
Unknown2011-03-28 14:55:56
QUOTE (Alacardael! @ Mar 28 2011, 05:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Psh, I influence with 15 charisma as a lucidian. Anything above 12 is fine, from experience.

I've influenced as an unspecced lucidian (11 charisma) without seeing counterarguments, except when my connection's weak. Above 12 is best so that your ego is enough to take on targets for a decent amount of exp at your level.
Llandros2011-03-28 15:45:43
Influenicing for Irontongue Viscanti is not a problem. We get a +3 from vileblood, a + 2 from bardicpresence, a +1 from netzach if you take highmagic.

The village influencing is for revolts so that won't help you but the +2 in intimidation can help for mobs weak to that style of influencing.
Unknown2011-04-01 02:01:18
QUOTE (Gleip @ Mar 26 2011, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, you can choose for yourself just how much into the monster territory you go. You need to maintain a humanoid shape...

You know, I didn't even consider non-humanoid shapes, and now that you've told me I can't have one I can only think of non-human shapes! doh.gif

Still didn't address the elixir penalty, but I suppose I should just start playing and work it out as I go. I can always reincarnate later.

Thanks for the advice everyone!
Xenthos2011-04-01 02:20:07
QUOTE (Raikin @ Mar 31 2011, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know, I didn't even consider non-humanoid shapes, and now that you've told me I can't have one I can only think of non-human shapes! doh.gif

Still didn't address the elixir penalty, but I suppose I should just start playing and work it out as I go. I can always reincarnate later.

Humanoid != human. In Lusternia it is referred to as the 'star god' kind of shape. Head, two arms, two legs. It can be short and stubby (ie gnomes), it can be huge and furry (tae'dae), it can be lizards or birds or all manner of things. Even furrikin fall into this general category, with hands and feet, despite nobody considering them anywhere near human.

All mortals in Lusternia need to have a head, hands, and feet. It's enforced by the combat system, even. I'm not sure what you're considering 'non-human' shapes at this point but I think you're being too restrictive, unless you are wanting to be a rabid deer with only hooves or an angsty teenage rock. In that case you may have some difficulties.
Llandros2011-04-01 03:01:23
QUOTE (Raikin @ Mar 31 2011, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The elixir penalty is noticable when you're at higher levels but one of our constructs has a + 1 sip bonus so it makes it not so bad
cyro2011-05-14 15:40:26
Being mainly a Paladin from Celest, I've seen my fair share of Viscanti.

Viscanti are basically the regular races (human, igasho, krokani, orclach, etc.) that have been excessivly touched by the taint. Staying near this, the taint can manipulate the body in many ways. You COULD technically look like a regular human with pink to jet black skin, or you could look like a HUGE FIRE BREATHING WINGED DRAGON DEMON ZOMBIE UNDEAD THINGY!!!!!!!!!!! dazed.gif
With Viscanti, you can be pretty much anything you want. I know one person who put a mask over their face, and when they wanted to talk, the emoted writing on a slate. It was very creative.

BUT BE WARNED: VISCANTI ARE REALLY ONLY ACCEPTED IN MAGNAGORA, SO IF YOU WANT TO LEAVE, YOU'LL PROBABLY HAVE TO REINCARNATE!!!!!!1

Just have fun when making your character and be creative. Since your in Magnagora, make your character something from out of the deepest, darkest, most disgusting, nightmarish, corner of your mind...

...Like when your 100,000 lb mom thinks that it would be nice to go to the pool in a two piece bikini... twitch.gif wtf.gif whatthe.gif blackeye.gif
Xenthos2011-05-14 15:45:06
There are occasionally Viscanti in Glomdoring, and I can't see Hallifax or Gaudiguch being too overly concerned with them...
Unknown2011-05-14 15:50:57
Viscanti are pretty much everywhere...they're just not too common outside of Magnagora.
Diamondais2011-05-14 15:53:01
And unwelcome only in Celest and Seren, not to say you couldn't be one there, it's just unwelcome. tongue.gif
cyro2011-05-14 16:01:59
Actually, in Celest you are required to reincarnate from Viscanti. At least, in the Paladins, you're required to.

/----------------------------------------------------------------------\\
| ~Viscanti~ |
|----------------------------------------------------------------------|
|
|If you are a Viscanti and you have joined the ranks of the Paladins,
|there are some things that you must know.
|
|Viscanti Paladins will never be Knighted. They will never achieve the
|Rites of Transcendance or become a full member of an Order of
|Knighthood. Viscanti who join the Paladins must truly want to serve
|the Light, and that is just what they will do. They will serve. All
|ranks a Viscanti may achieve are subordinate. They must -always- obey
|the Orders of superiors, and they will never advance beyond that
|point. The highest rank a Viscanti may achieve is Squire, as listed
|in GHELP RANKS.
|
|No Viscanti may achieve the rank of Captain or Marshal, nor any Archon
|position.
|
|The Viscanti are beings of the Taint. They may wish to serve in the
|Paladins and aide the Light, but if they choose to hold on to the
|trappings of their tainted existence rather than reincarnate at the
|Portal of Fate, then they are beneath true followers of the Light.
|When the time comes, when all other Taint has been eradicated, as is
|our mission, we will still not have won. Not while the Viscanti still
|exist tainted and uncured.
|
|To be a Viscanti Paladin is to sentence yourself to death at the end
|of this war. Have no illusions otherwise. If a means is discovered to
|cure the Taint, it will be used, but if not, when it comes down to the
|end, you will be slain and your ashes will be scattered to the winds.
|If you truly wish to serve the Light with the Taint flowing in your
|veins, this is your fate, and you will accept it piously or you will
|never serve in the Paladins.

I was very sad when I read this. It's a guild scroll from the Paladins. I like the idea of a Good Viscanti cry.gif
Diamondais2011-05-14 16:08:46
It just says you wont be able to attain the same rank as if you were another race, Viscanti are second class in Celest and sure, you could do it (people have) but you have to deal with the consequences of it. Same with being Elfen or Merian in Magnagora.