Moving (again) to another guild, or to a lack thereof

by Raeri

Back to Combat Guide.

Raeri2011-03-15 11:21:15
Hi everyone! So, my last such post was over a year ago, and since I got lots of helpful comments and advice that time (much wub.gif to you all!), I decided to try again (or at least help me think/plan it through better). So here we go (long post I know, but please feel free to critique my thoughts and views)!

So, first the basics (though most of you probably know me IG!) - I'm currently in Serenwilde as a Tae'dae(I will be staying Tae'dae regardless of what happens) Spiritsinger (guild has been totally awesome <3). Since my last topic, I have learned that having to deal with love potion with a balance penalty is a lot more annoying than rebounding, that robes makes me feel a lot squishier than plate (though how much of that had to do with weapon stat changes, I don't know), and I (OOC me) apparently need to change things up or I feel stagnant sad.gif . Anyhow, since I hear that monks have apparently changed from being the one-macro autokata machines they once were, I'd like to give them a try dazed.gif .

So with me wanting to go to a monk guild, this naturally means Shofangi, and herein lies my issue: I like Serenwilde, and don't really want to be migrating elsewhere. However, for Primaries, I find myself not overly excited with the Shofangi primary-spec RPly and prefer the thematic flavour of Ninjakari combat/weaponry (but again, don't want to be moving permanently away from the Wilde until Ackle returns one day). In terms of Secondaries, it's fairly equal given that Harmony seems to be better in bashing/combat with the regen and the passive effects, but I also find myself drawn to the utility usefulness of Stealth's Veil/Awareness/Deepcover/Waylay. My preferred Tertiary is Psychometabolism, and I will unlikely be able to rune myself up to any real extent. Alas, if we could only pick and match skillsets! (I'm assuming power needed for Psymet and Harmony/Stealth are (Any) type, please correct if I'm wrong unsure.gif )

I'm planning to take Highmagic for GreaterPentagram support so I can be helpful in groups, so will need to switch tradeskills from Herbs to something else - is there anything better than Tailoring(splendours) trade-wise?

I did consider the other monk guilds, but they're much, much more power-reliant, so moving back to Seren probably isn't an option. Comments to the contrary would be helpful too, so feel free to disagree! :3

My questions essentially come down to this:
1. Is it worth the trouble and possible subsequent fallout(if any) by moving to Mag/Ninjakari for a few IG years to learn skills and some of their culture (I've been curious!), then taking it and moving back to Serenwilde with the skillsets albeit without the correct Nexus Power (I'd be productive during my time there of course, so it's not just a skillgrab-and-run, but I assume I'd be enemied to their guild for doing this?) -
2. Would I be better off just being a Shofangi if I want to be a monk in Serenwilde, since I would still have access to Moonhart Nexus Power, and just give up on playing with my preferred skillset?
3. Which non-Shofangi monk guild is the least power reliant, and keeping all the above in mind, which monk guild overall would be the most tae'dae-friendly (esp. after all these recent changes to monks)?
4. If I leave and return, am I able to redo the orgbix quest chain to get one again? (I'm guessing it poofs when you leave the org)
5. Is my train of thought here a stupid idea? .__.;

I'm not in a particular rush to do this, since I'm waiting on some stuff that need to be done before I do any moving, so any thoughts on this (even if its to tell me that it'll never work) will be appreciated. Sure, I suppose it's a potentially convoluted path, but then again - what's life without some whimsy, eh?
Diamondais2011-03-15 11:54:46
Well, you could probably do all this, but it would be hard, especially since you'll probably be grilled harder about why you want to join than usual because you brought it up here (intentional or not).
Arix2011-03-15 11:56:16
I should tell you to carefully consider all your options before you change guilds/orgs/whatever. I should point out that one must remember the loss of lessons and take the possible requirement of a credit purchase into account. I REALLY should point out that being in one org with skills from another will possibly earn you enemy status or grief from just about anyone whose lung capacity exceeds their IQ. I should tell you to consider all these things, but since most of the time I don't even consider them, it would be hypocritical. Just use common sense and try not to let the wanderlust get to you. My name is Arix, and I am a guildhopper.
Nayl2011-03-15 14:26:35
Hello,
My name is Nayl, and I'm a guild-hopper.
I've been all archetypes, and on average. 1.75 Guilds of each. If you are not enjoying the situation your in, then move.
If it's simply because you are bored, consider why you're bored.
Ircria2011-03-15 14:54:26
2. Would I be better off just being a Shofangi if I want to be a monk in Serenwilde, since I would still have access to Moonhart Nexus Power, and just give up on playing with my preferred skillset?

Well, you could go either way on that. You could be in another monk guild in Serenwilde, but I'm sure most monk guilds(if not all) have issues with that kind of thing. Now, as for power, I'm not quite sure if it works when you're a a part of another organization, but there is always energylink in aethercraft and, should you go psymet, bodyfuel.

3. Which non-Shofangi monk guild is the least power reliant, and keeping all the above in mind, which monk guild overall would be the most tae'dae-friendly (esp. after all these recent changes to monks)?

Just from glancing over the Wiki, all of the non-shofangi monk guilds seem to be equal in power usage. However, it also depends on how the particular person fights and the strategies associated with the skillset. As for tae'sae friendly, I would have to place Ninjakari as your worst possible choice(due to the fact that their grapples are hard enough to pull off as a speed race) and your best choice as a Nekotai(Thul. Need I say more?), with Tahtetso somewhere in between.

4. If I leave and return, am I able to redo the orgbix quest chain to get one again? (I'm guessing it poofs when you leave the org)

It does poof and I believe you can redo it.
5. Is my train of thought here a stupid idea? .__.;

No, we all have urges to move once in a while. However, I will tell you that you might want to look beyond the surface and figure out -why- you want to move, why you are bored, and what each guild has in store beyond combat.

Now, on the topic of trades, splendour robes are quite useful. So is a tiergem(<3 the scry), or honestly anything... (But who am I kidding? Combatant? Take the robes)

Also, if anything in this makes absolutely no sense or is incorrect, poke me. I'm still half-asleep and what I write is often semi-stupid when I am in this state.
Asmodea2011-03-15 15:27:22
First of all. How dare you want to leave my guild you scruffy bear you!!! *roar*

Anyways, as someone who has skipped along a few guild roads, I deeply urge you to do what you feel like, don't just join some guild because someone suggested it, or you MIGHT be better off. I did that and lasted in a guild for less than a week.

As a monk, you can choose between linked forms or freehand them, there are also very few skills that require Nexus Specific power, I think Ninjakari have like two skills, both of which I rarely see used if at all, so you should be safe there, and psychometabolism can be used with any power. If you rejoin Serenwilde, you can still link to the Mother for power and use that for any skills you like besides the ones which are nexus specific to the Megalith, which none are in Psychometabolism, Acrobatics or Stealth, so power isn't an issue at all.

The Flame will disappear along with the honours line when you leave the Commune, but you can start all over again if you choose to go back.

Unknown2011-03-15 16:22:50
Just as an aside, I'm pretty sure ninjakari can't work with a level 3 speed penalty.

Blame the people who stuck a key skill for locks on a grapple ender. Terrible idea.
Janalon2011-03-15 22:12:58
Tae'dae high magic, psymet monk?

Reminds me of someone I once knew: http://forums.lusternia.com/index.php?show...c=19174&hl=

The current Nekotai Oothai gets way out of hand with added strength.

No monk-hate please. Already envoyed for an Oothai nerf (REPORT 517).
Sylphas2011-03-15 23:19:24
Per the Oneroi, epic quests can be redone as many times as you want, with the possible but likely exception of quitting the org, getting back in, and doing it over and over for the power. I somehow don't foresee that being a problem.
Unknown2011-03-16 13:57:00
My name is Zayden, and I am a notorious org hopper. Hallifax (Institute), Celest (Celestine, Paladin), Serenwilde (Serenguard, Shofangi), Magnagora (Ninjakari), Celest (Tahtetso), Glomdoring/Gaudiguch (Nekotai), now rogue. Only skill I've kept through it since Paladins? Herbs.

Honestly, because I get bored of playing Aeral a lot of the time, I guild/org hop on Zayden. I LOVE the Ninjakari/Nekotai guildset, though. Stealth is just... awesome.
Kiradawea2011-03-16 14:40:03
If you has patience, you could try waiting for the Halli or Gaudi monks.

Although be warned. All monk guilds require their own org flavour of power to be able to use Boost. If you have the wrong combination of Org and kata spec, you will not be able to reach level 6 momentum.
Unknown2011-03-16 15:48:59
Don't hold your breath for monk guilds for the new cities, though (not to mention bard guilds). We don't have enough people to support 30 active guilds. sad.gif

Anyway, while Harmony is awesome for bashing and all, Stealth is just way more classy. Also, if Gaudiguch and Hallifax get their monk guilds, Hallifax will probably get Harmony and Gaudiguch Stealth (they've supported kephera and illithoids, respectively, I think).
Unknown2011-03-16 16:58:24
You know what'll block your move to Mag and then back to SW plan? Saying so on forums.

This just reminds me of that big hubbub with Halli asking for someone to take Shofangi skills.
Unknown2011-03-16 17:50:37
Also, Stealth and Ninjakari/Nekotai are teachings of the illithoids (G.M. Scorpion, in the case of Nekotai). So...RP that in anti-Taint anti-Soulless anti-illthoid Serenwilde would be, well, interesting.
Unknown2011-03-16 20:09:23
I can tell you that Ninjakari have a policy in place to hunt down anyone that takes their teachings and leaves.
Shamarah2011-03-16 20:23:49
QUOTE (Sahmiam Mes'ard @ Mar 16 2011, 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can tell you that Ninjakari have a policy in place to hunt down anyone that takes their teachings and leaves.

What? How on earth do you effectively "hunt down" anybody in Lusternia? That policy doesn't even make sense.
Kiradawea2011-03-16 22:45:42
License to grief.
Unknown2011-03-16 23:54:40
Not to mention that as much as we're all horrible RPers because of current alliances, no one's actually gone so far as to take illithoid skills in an Illithoid hating commune yet.
Unknown2011-03-16 23:59:50
QUOTE (Sojiro @ Mar 16 2011, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not to mention that as much as we're all horrible RPers because of current alliances, no one's actually gone so far as to take illithoid skills in an Illithoid hating commune yet.

Ninjakari still hunt people killing illithoid. Lehki and I have fought it out a few times in UV. Although we give courtesy warnings.
Raeri2011-03-17 10:34:54
Thanks everyone for your input wub.gif! I think I will go Shofangi for what sounds like epic regen, and so I can be the Serenwilde counterpart to the other two tae'dae monks that I know of (Thul of Glomdoring, and the ur'Winnae of Magnagora - wonder what happened to them, haven't seen them around lately, especially since the tae'dae speed nerf last racial review - any other active tae'daes at all I don't know about? Have seen Jinto wandering around though, which is always cool wub.gif ). And to avoid having to mangle RP around too much :/

So, skills. I'd like to minimize lessons lost in the skillpool transfers (and to be honest, that tangled mess that is transferring from pool to pool makes my head hurt) so I'll put what I *think* is the optimal path and see if anyone can either confirm or come up with a better one. Last time I did this I shifted lessons the wrong way and ended up having to spend a hundred or so extra lessons sad.gif

Relevant skills:
CODE
Common Skills         Rank           Pool
-------------         ------------   ------------
Lowmagic              Transcendent   Arcana
Dramatics             Gifted         Performance
Aethercraft           Adept          Mysticism

Trade Skills          Rank           Pool
Herbs                 Virtuoso       Communion

Guild Skills          Rank           Pool
Hunting               Transcendent   Communion
    Ecology
Music                 Transcendent   Performance
    Wildarrane
Acrobatics            Master         Fitness

Target pools are:
Kata/Shofangi(Melee)
Harmony(Communion?)
Psionics/Psymet(Intellect?)
Highmagic(Arcana)
Tailoring(Artistry?)

To minimize losses, I'm guessing I should be doing:
Acrobatics into Fitness, transfer into sister pool of Melee, then put into Kata
Music/Wildarrane into Performance, put into Dramatics
Hunting/Ecology into Communion, put into Harmony? (Someone confirm Harmony is Communion pool? lusterniawiki still says Empathy)
Herbs into Communion, put into Harmony? (Am I going to have some left over? If so, where should I move those?)
Lowmagic into Arcana, put into Highmagic
Try to fill the rest (i.e. Tailoring, etc) with empty/unaligned lessons?

I get the feeling I'm going to be sad when I actually go calculate lessons lost and how much more lessons I have to throw in an attempt to Trans these.