Help a noobling mage out!

by Unknown

Back to Combat Guide.

Unknown2011-03-03 18:34:32
So, this is my first time playing as a Mage (not counting alts).

Some very basic questions about demesnes:

Are demense effects on a 10 second timer?
How do you get all of the effects to hit at the same time other than the instant-all-meld-effects move? Because even when I use doafter, I can't seem to get the effects to timed together.
Let's say I pyrocast firewalls demesne. Does it mean that firewalls will follow me everywhere? Or do they pop up randomly around my meld? And do they last forever since they don't appear on the demesne effect list.
Is sleepmist supposed to have no visible tick message? Or just me being unobservant.
If I want to stagger my effects (say, firestorm so that I won't get two ablaze ticks), how long away should I stagger it?
So, break points for melds are rooms that are connected to the meld by only one other room? Unless there is no such break point, then all rooms in the meld are breakable?

Also, any tips and tricks for the noobling mage would be very much appreciated too. Thanls!
Fuyu2011-03-03 18:47:41
For the meld breaking, I usually just remember that every sticking endpoint is breakable. The exception would be circular areas where I can break anywhere within the circle itself.

I believe demesne effects are set at 10s universally? I tried setting everything that ticks every 10s to cast every 10s, while those that don't exactly have a tick time every 5s in between. It sort of worked.

I recall every meld effect has a description which indicates whether it is demesne-wide or only in your room and in the adjacent rooms. I believe all effets that are for room-and-adjacent-rooms move together with you.
Jayden2011-03-03 19:25:59
Some effects are on the tick and some of them fall off the tick. You should notice that they are hitting in two seperate groups.

Firewalls randomly appear in your demesne but go out after awhile.
Unknown2011-03-03 20:56:10
QUOTE (Caerulo @ Mar 3 2011, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How do you get all of the effects to hit at the same time other than the instant-all-meld-effects move? Because even when I use doafter, I can't seem to get the effects to timed together.

Do-after, or trigger casting it to your demense tic. This generally works better for Aquas and Aeros, though, since they have an effect that works on themselves, instead of only on enemies.

Let's say I pyrocast firewalls demesne. Does it mean that firewalls will follow me everywhere? Or do they pop up randomly around my meld? And do they last forever since they don't appear on the demesne effect list.

They're supposed to appear randomly throughout your demense, like rubble does for geomancers. They go out at the same rate that normal firewalls do.

If I want to stagger my effects (say, firestorm so that I won't get two ablaze ticks), how long away should I stagger it?

For firestorm specifically, I'd do it at 2s after the main tic (just after they're cured abalze and put frost back up), or 4s (when you've gotten psionic balance back from the attack that you did when the demense tic happened).

So, break points for melds are rooms that are connected to the meld by only one other room? Unless there is no such break point, then all rooms in the meld are breakable?

It's better to think of it in terms of unbreakable rooms, rather than breakable rooms. Any room that, if removed from the demense, would divide the demense into noncontiguous segments is unbreakable. See these diagrams:

CODE
----  : Can be Broken!
       |     |              : Cannot be Broken!
      -             : Room outside your meld!
CODE
-- Because this goes in a circle,
|           |  all of the rooms in the demense
       can be broken without splitting
|           |  your meld in two. As such,
-- you should not meld like this.
CODE
-- Because this goes in a circle,
|           |  but has a single room unmelded,
       only two points on the circle can
|           |  be broken at by other mages.
-- You should always meld like this.

Also, any tips and tricks for the noobling mage would be very much appreciated too. Thanks!

Go telekinetic as a pyromancer.
Always keep a close look at demense watch and demense sense.
If you haven't already, get realitycheck in discernment and chop in environment.
Check up on how saplings and illusionary terrain works.
Don't get killed.
Razenth2011-03-03 21:25:50
Don't go Telekinetic as a Pyromancer unless you want to be a lone wolf. Ask around your guild and you'll figure out why.
Lilia2011-03-03 21:30:06
Only people effected by it will see the sleepmist effect. You won't see anything to indicate that they were hit by it, but if your other demesne effects are hitting them, then sleepmist did too. Don't forget to put sleepmist up if you use the 'cast all effects' ability, and try to get it to tic with all the others, so they might not notice it.
Sylphas2011-03-04 00:29:02
I still find it annoying that the abilities to raise all demesne affects at once time them automatically, but faeconverge does not, nor can fae be timed via summoning delay, afaik.
Neos2011-03-04 00:47:10
QUOTE (Sylphas @ Mar 3 2011, 07:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still find it annoying that the abilities to raise all demesne affects at once time them automatically, but faeconverge does not, nor can fae be timed via summoning delay, afaik.

It's not all effects, just the majority of them.
Esano2011-03-04 01:00:21
QUOTE (Greleag @ Mar 4 2011, 07:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do-after, or trigger casting it to your demense tic. This generally works better for Aquas and Aeros, though, since they have an effect that works on themselves, instead of only on enemies.

Casting it the moment you see the effect tick won't work.

Depending upon your skill (including TFs, artifacts, etc) your demesne effects last a specific length of time, as viewable on DEMESNE. When this hits a multiple of 10 (ie the last digit is 0) the effect ticks. So if you want to cast off pre-existing effects (to repair times screwed up due to latency, or add effects you skipped for whatever reason) you need to know what that final digit is right when you cast it. Just stack GEOCAST N DEMESNE; DEMESNE.

Then perform a little bit of mathematics. Let's call the final digit on cast your delay (as it's the delay between casting it and it ticking). Pick the effect that you're timing everything against (pick an effect that you can see a message for if possible) and look at its timer. You want to cast when its last number is equal to your delay, so you wait 10 - delay seconds from when it ticks to cast.

QUOTE (Greleag @ Mar 4 2011, 07:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They're supposed to appear randomly throughout your demense, like rubble does for geomancers. They go out at the same rate that normal firewalls do.

Rubble isn't random. It appears in all exits in all rooms where the effect can tick (ie in the geomancer's room or adjacent) where someone is standing on tick. Stonewalls act like you said, though - you geocast stonewall demesne, can't cast it if there's a single stonewall anywhere in your meld. It'll drop stonewalls on random exits throughout your meld.
Shamarah2011-03-04 05:49:39
QUOTE (Sylphas @ Mar 3 2011, 07:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's no benefit to timing fae anyway...
Sylphas2011-03-04 05:50:37
QUOTE (Shamarah @ Mar 4 2011, 12:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's no benefit to timing fae anyway...

This just annoys me more, because making it work like that wouldn't even offer any sort of combat edge.
Unknown2011-03-04 13:36:30
Thanks for all the answers!

And, laugh.gif I'm a Dreamweaving Pyromancer, and not intending to change that. happy.gif

The timing trick sounds good, but unfortunately, Pyromancy doesn't have any effects that tick when no enemies are present, but sounds like a good tip if Pyromancy ever gets a ally effect.

Some more questions:

Is it possible to time dreamweaving motes with meld effects?
How does Mirage in Pyromancy differ from Mirage in Phantasms? Do the effects stack?
For Chop, other than forged axes, are there any generic axes which I can use? Or do I have to find a forger to make me a cheap axe or something?
Unknown2011-03-04 13:54:45
Dreamweaving's no TP/TK, but I find it very nice and useful. Sleepmist, narcolepsy, and deepsleep all contribute to sleep and tiredness, which is like autoprone. Memoryloss (active) is like, 4 seconds of blackout, 2 seconds when embedded (passive). Of course, I am a druid, and druid melds are different from mage melds...

EDIT: Upon further testing, memoryloss' blackout is actually 8/4, rather than 4/2.
Jayden2011-03-04 13:55:46
QUOTE (Caerulo @ Mar 4 2011, 08:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for all the answers!

And, laugh.gif I'm a Dreamweaving Pyromancer, and not intending to change that. happy.gif

The timing trick sounds good, but unfortunately, Pyromancy doesn't have any effects that tick when no enemies are present, but sounds like a good tip if Pyromancy ever gets a ally effect.

Some more questions:

Is it possible to time dreamweaving motes with meld effects?
How does Mirage in Pyromancy differ from Mirage in Phantasms? Do the effects stack?
For Chop, other than forged axes, are there any generic axes which I can use? Or do I have to find a forger to make me a cheap axe or something?

Pyromancy mirage makes all rooms appear as "a burning desert". Phantasms mirage terrains your hole demesne at once
I do believe imbeded motes and runes are on a seperate timer
The axe doesnt have to be a masterweapon one to chop
Unknown2011-03-04 14:07:56
Wow, Mirage is kinda... strange.

"Your demesne is 10 rooms in size and is centered at a burning desert."

Sure, that's helpful when every single room of my meld is called 'a burning desert'. laugh.gif
Unknown2011-03-04 19:21:54
Ideally, the mage and their allies would be able to see where they were, but that's for a later report, I guess.
Ilyssa2011-03-04 21:48:53
You can either get an axe that is one-handed and costs 30 comms, or a masterweapon one that costs 400, is two-handed, and is a bit faster. Some people opt to. confused.gif