Mudlet tip: set yourself a huge buffer

by Vadi

Back to Mechanic's Corner.

Vadi2011-01-31 02:20:47
Not many people know this, but you can change your buffer size (how many lines are stored in the buffer before they start getting deleted). In Mudlet, you can safely adjust this to a huge amount and... it'll work! won't lag you down any more at all, but you will have the advantage of having a huge buffer and being able to scroll back. Note though - if you're on a netbook or something that's really low memory, you might not want to do this. If you're on a computer with at least 1GB+ ram, then it'll be quite okay.

To do this, make a new script, and put this in it:
CODE
setConsoleBufferSize("main", 5000000, 1000)

You can change the 5 million lines to anything you'd like, but for a start, it whould be more than enough.

Enjoy!
Unknown2011-02-01 07:55:32
Thanks, that's really handy. I often want to check something after I've wiped my buffer by running round the basin, so now I can.
Fuyu2011-02-03 13:07:55
QUOTE (Vadi @ Jan 31 2011, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not many people know this, but you can change your buffer size (how many lines are stored in the buffer before they start getting deleted). In Mudlet, you can safely adjust this to a huge amount and... it'll work! won't lag you down any more at all, but you will have the advantage of having a huge buffer and being able to scroll back. Note though - if you're on a netbook or something that's really low memory, you might not want to do this. If you're on a computer with at least 1GB+ ram, then it'll be quite okay.

To do this, make a new script, and put this in it:
CODE
setConsoleBufferSize("main", 5000000, 1000)

You can change the 5 million lines to anything you'd like, but for a start, it whould be more than enough.

Enjoy!

squee!thanks!
Unknown2011-02-03 15:01:22
Thanks! I usually just go back and check the log, but sometimes it takes ages to load.
Vadi2011-02-03 15:30:51
QUOTE (Kayte @ Feb 3 2011, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks! I usually just go back and check the log, but sometimes it takes ages to load.

What takes long to load? Scrolling anywhere in it has been instant for me.
Unknown2011-02-03 15:34:12
QUOTE (Vadi @ Feb 3 2011, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What takes long to load? Scrolling anywhere in it has been instant for me.

I log in html and then use Firefox to look at stuff, sometimes it takes a bit for the log to open. Once it's completely loaded it's fine though. That's what I was referring to.
Vadi2011-02-03 16:24:20
Oh. Yeah. Within Mudlet, it's very fast.