Logging

by Unknown

Back to Survival Guide.

Unknown2011-01-14 13:10:18
I don't know how many other people out there log... I personally only do combat logs, but for those in positions of power; do you log everything for reference?

I mean, I do record major changes, events, decisions, and ideas - but is this enough? Should I be so stressed out over my -lack- of logs?
Unknown2011-01-14 13:17:50
I haven't set it up in mudlet yet but I had a trigger in cmud that started logging when I logged into the game.

Mostly it was because I would forget to turn logging on when something was happening that needed to be logged. And you never know when you'll get jumped.
Unknown2011-01-14 13:20:58
QUOTE (Deschain @ Jan 14 2011, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I haven't set it up in mudlet yet but I had a trigger in cmud that started logging when I logged into the game.

Mostly it was because I would forget to turn logging on when something was happening that needed to be logged. And you never know when you'll get jumped.

My problem with starting now is that I didn't start logging from a significant time, and I've missed so much in terms of logging things and it just doesn't seem right to start now when nothing significant has happened.

I should have started when I became Archmage, damnit! Now it just... gah. dry.gif
Daraius2011-01-14 14:21:50
I log every conversation I think is important to my character's development. suspicious.gif Oh, and just about every ministry-related letter I write or receive.

I'd say go ahead and start logging whatever you want, regardless of whether now is a significant time or not. If anything comes up, you can just say your earlier records were destroyed, stolen, waterlogged (ha!), etc. I mean, not everyone can be expected to have the clerical skills of a Hallifaxian bureaucrat.
Unknown2011-01-14 14:27:58
I log everything, all the time. You never know to what you'll want to refer back later. (Okay, I could cut the harvesting spam, maybe.)
Unknown2011-01-14 14:34:23
Yeah. Log everything and learn to grep. smile.gif
Kiradawea2011-01-14 14:45:21
I barely log anything! halo.gif
Diamondais2011-01-14 15:39:54
I log events I am directly involved in, or special events that I help host in the guild/city/commune. Generally though, I don't, I can't usually remember to.
Unknown2011-01-14 20:41:22
Okay! Made a quick log today, basically like a journal, honors'd myself, showed score, showed stat, major things I've done, the god I follow and why, and dates for things. From here I'll be logging consistently. After all, not much happened in Aeral's life until she was involved in the Meliashmora.

I'm glad I have a ton of combat logs from before, though. smile.gif

QUOTE (Daraius @ Jan 14 2011, 10:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I log every conversation I think is important to my character's development. suspicious.gif Oh, and just about every ministry-related letter I write or receive.

Me too.

QUOTE (Zarquan @ Jan 14 2011, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I log everything, all the time. You never know to what you'll want to refer back later. (Okay, I could cut the harvesting spam, maybe.)

How long have you been logging? Like, was there a point in time when you started after your character was made, or did you start from the beginning?
Unknown2011-01-14 21:01:06
You seem to be stressing out a lot that somehow if you start logging now something bad will happen because you weren't logging everything before. You shouldn't be stressed out over a lack of logs because there is absolutely no way to obtain a log of the past. I don't think most people started logging as soon as they made their character, unless they had experience from another character and new they would want them. I didn't really start logging until I started learning PvP stuff, since information (or the lack of information), is the number 1 reason you will win or lose.

I say start logging everything, just in case there ends up being something you want later.
Unknown2011-01-14 21:07:54
QUOTE (Deschain @ Jan 14 2011, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You seem to be stressing out a lot that somehow if you start logging now something bad will happen because you weren't logging everything before. You shouldn't be stressed out over a lack of logs because there is absolutely no way to obtain a log of the past. I don't think most people started logging as soon as they made their character, unless they had experience from another character and new they would want them. I didn't really start logging until I started learning PvP stuff, since information (or the lack of information), is the number 1 reason you will win or lose.

I say start logging everything, just in case there ends up being something you want later.

I don't have any logic, but it's just one of these things that I've meant to start for months and always forgot to, so I didn't... and yes it's ridiculous to stress out over it but somehow I do.
Lehki2011-01-14 21:09:38
I never log anything. I just occasionally copy my buffer when my system is acting stupid.
Rivius2011-01-14 21:14:32
I log before every fight, and occasionally when I'm having conversations with Lord Hoaracle. Other than that, I try to save space heh
Unknown2011-01-14 21:16:59
I've been playing for six years, but I've only got logs from the last couple years. When I move systems, sometimes things get lost.
Ssaliss2011-01-14 21:33:43
I'm one of those that log everything. So far, my logs are up to about 3GB. Although I haven't compressed the last half year worth of logs yet, which take up about 2.7GB...
Calixa2011-01-14 22:56:35
I log everything. Because most of the times I needed logs, it was from things I wouldn't have logged.
Ssaliss2011-01-14 22:58:41
QUOTE (Calixa @ Jan 14 2011, 11:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I log everything. Because most of the times I needed logs, it was from things I wouldn't have logged.

Ditto. Tells from various people especially. Or hints on where to find that elusive mob you just need to find again.
Calixa2011-01-14 23:02:15
If you are cramped for disk space, raw text logs are your best bet. Personally, I log in html though. If it really gets too big, you can always purge things older than like a year or something.
Ssaliss2011-01-14 23:06:28
And don't forget to compress them. When it comes to text, that saves a lot of place. My entire log library of 2008-201007 is only about 350MB.
Unknown2011-01-15 00:02:50
QUOTE (Calixa @ Jan 14 2011, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you are cramped for disk space, raw text logs are your best bet. Personally, I log in html though. If it really gets too big, you can always purge things older than like a year or something.

I prefer logging in html. All of my old combat logs are .txt, but they're so hard to work with.