Starting out. Badly.

by Unknown

Back to Survival Guide.

Unknown2011-01-06 01:10:19
I've recently started a character here after having played Imperian a fairly long while ago and just like with any previous attempts to test the water with IRE games I feel blind, deaf and dumb. Worse than when I first tried any MUD, because I didn't have any expectations and thought catching butterflies and kicking pixies was quite absorbing. So I decided on an Aeromancer and bought 1200 lessons. I've never bought credits before so I thought I'd just dive in and make a small purchase right away so that I'm obliged to get into the game and take my character seriously. This is where I reincarnated and accidentally picked Viscanti rather than Lucidian. I was gutted and amazed at my own stupidity but I decided to persevere, bought 70 (90 due to sale) credits and decided to work it up to 100 by selling some and then buying the city credits that were listed as on sale. The city credits weren't on sale, which is something to go in the "things I wish I knew when I was a newbie" - not to believe everything you read because for some reason people don't update things that might cause people to throw money away. So now I'm down 10 credits but have 30,000 gold, and I converted one credit so that I'd get the bonus achievement lessons.

So I have 79 credits, 1155 lessons and I'm a Viscanti Aeromancer. My skills right now consist pretty much of master Elementalism and up to Teleport in Planar. Bearing in mind that I'm about level 5 haven't really done anything, so I have plenty of lessons yet to gain from leveling and logging in, is it worth continuing this character or would I be better off just transferring the credits to a new one? Would I get away with playing a Viscanti Aeromancer and save 100 credits if I said that I do want to hunt and PvP to some extent?

Also, what would be the best client to use if I intend to learn and build my own system over an indefinite period of time? As it stands there seems to be a drought of systems to start off with since they either cost 65cr or their author has withdrawn them or is never around to get in touch with. I don't want zMud or cMud, they're what I used to use and they're bloated and unhelpful in the long run, so it's either Mudlet or Mushclient really and so far I've found Mudlet fairly unintuitive, but at the same time it seems a lot cleaner and faster than Mush. I couldn't even make a targeting alias when I tried it last because Mudlet wants raw code and regex, but then I've heard that Lua is a pleasant language to learn and if that's the case then it sounds like struggling with a bit of arcane code for a while would be worth the effort.

Hopefully I'm not a lost cause. blackeye.gif
Okin2011-01-06 01:25:19
Just as a quick note, have you completely disregarded continuing as Viscanti Aeromancer? You'll have a little difficulty bashing, and your PvP won't be great, and you'll face a lot of racism, but it might be fun. It's not an easy option at all, but I know of some people who've had a great time playing the outcast/victim of discrimination.

If that's not for you, reincarnation is definitely the way to go. You bought 1200 lessons, which can't be transferred, while 100 credits = only 600 lessons.
Siam2011-01-06 01:32:18
QUOTE (Zirnitra @ Jan 6 2011, 09:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... then buying the city credits that were listed as on sale. The city credits weren't on sale, which is something to go in the "things I wish I knew when I was a newbie" - not to believe everything you read because for some reason people don't update things that might cause people to throw money away...

I poked someone in Hallifax for this a long time ago, on an alt. I neither got a reply nor an updated CHELP scroll. I think it was due to me asking the wrong person about it? I hope it was that.

Anyway, I'm not sure on being a Viscanti aeromancer, but I think it's not healthy.

Are your credits bound already? Can lessons be transferred to another character? If so, maybe you could do better by starting another character with the proper race, that way, the credits and lessons could go into your character's skills instead of grinding and trying to make your way towards 100 credits. You do get 5 bound credits every 5 levels until level 70(or was it 75), so you can count those, too. Do bards, scholars, pilgrims, and commodity quests for gold, too.

As for clients and tinkering with them, you could always ask on the forums. A lot of people are willing to help!

EDIT:

Dang! I just saw the reply above. I suggest sticking with your character and making use of the bound credits you earn every 5 levels to buy a dagger.
Diamondais2011-01-06 01:47:20
Stick to the character, you'll make the bound credits you need for a dagger if you really want to change.

CODE
Level                             Bound Credits
-----                             -------------
10, 15, 20, 25                          5
30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 70         10
Rika2011-01-06 01:56:28
I reckon you should just stick with it until you get the 100 credits through whatever means.

Sure, viscanti will suck for PvP, but until you get a lot more levels, all you'll need to be doing is PvE. You're not going to be severely crippled for that, at least. By the time you get to the stage where you are ready for PvP, you should have got 100 credits through levels or otherwise.
Unknown2011-01-06 02:22:30
To answer your other question, stick with mudlet, it's a great client and user friendly.

I would probably stick with your current character....although I wouldn't rule out issuing yourself about the accidental reincarnation, since your character is really young...it may not hurt to ask.

But if not, Viscanti won't be unplayable, and if you don't like the RP side of it, there's an ability pretty low in illusions called changeself that lets you appear as another race, so you could still RP as a lucidian.
Lilia2011-01-06 02:39:09
I've never actually seen any racism directed at citizens in Hallifax. If you're only level five, you should just keep playing, and see if you can make it work. There is an actual city credit sale going on now, if you want to try again.
Sylandra2011-01-06 02:56:38
QUOTE (thisismydisplayname @ Jan 5 2011, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I poked someone in Hallifax for this a long time ago, on an alt. I neither got a reply nor an updated CHELP scroll. I think it was due to me asking the wrong person about it? I hope it was that.

Credit sale is going on now, but quick question: what was the issue exactly? CHELP CREDITS? Newsposts were all in order, I do recall that much. I don't pretend to remember if I updated the CHELP or not.
Siam2011-01-06 03:00:46
QUOTE (Sylandra @ Jan 6 2011, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Credit sale is going on now, but quick question: what was the issue exactly? CHELP CREDITS? Newsposts were all in order, I do recall that much. I don't pretend to remember if I updated the CHELP or not.

PM sent!
Sylandra2011-01-06 03:31:26
QUOTE (thisismydisplayname @ Jan 5 2011, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PM sent!

Please and thank you. happy.gif
Shamarah2011-01-06 04:22:21
You know, I once accidentally reincarnated into the wrong race, and I issued myself and the admin changed it for me. It's probably worth a shot. Just ISSUE ME .
Unknown2011-01-06 11:25:38
We have other viscanti players in Hallifax! And yes, if you really want to, you can changeself and go around as a lucidian, and everyone will be none the wiser. wink.gif

I'm sorry your start seems to have been so rocky, but believe me, the Aeromancers are full of a lot of really fun and helpful people, so if you want to ask any of us that you see on GW for help, don't be afraid to. And if you ever see out of date scrolls (barring CHELP TRADES, cough cough) in CHELP or GHELP let me know and I will destroy the errors with great prejudice. Errors make me a sad Phoebus.

...I do vaguely remember someone asking me about if CHELP CREDITS was up to date while I was super feverish and sick as hell. If you did ask me and I didn't respond I am sorry, I probably thought you weren't real. blush.gif
Unknown2011-01-06 12:11:18
Thanks guys I have decided to stick with this character, if for no other reason than to have some integrity. I wasn't aware that bound credits from leveling counted towards artifacts so that's a great help but I just issued myself and I'm quietly confident that it will work out since other people have successfully done so themselves and, from what I've seen, people tend to be a lot more tolerant and friendly here than in Imperian, which is why I thought using the issue system would be very bad form.

I wouldn't have written off playing a Viscanti as Hallifax seems unique in that it is less of a "classic" polar organisation and has a more ambiguous mindset about these things. It might have been fun to play as a martyr to science by treating myself as a research specimen or a victim of a failed experiment but I'm not really confident enough to do that now considering what really attracted me here is the gameplay mechanics as well as the RP. I can't afford to end up not liking my character later on.

Thanks Phoebus, I'm really eager to get stuck in. The guild and the city seem really fun to be involved in and I feel like after all this time I've never really found a class or an organisation that really suits me. I've always found the roles too extreme, you're either a rotting necromancer who burps at people, a spiritual zealot who swears their free will to the light, a nature guardian who looks after all the trees or a monk who dedicates themselves to transcending any form of personal enjoyment. I like the way Hallifax seems to be built around the idea of independent thinking and self improvement, as if the player actually wanted to enjoy themselves. tongue.gif

It wasn't me who sent you that PM.
Daraius2011-01-06 15:21:15
QUOTE (Zirnitra @ Jan 6 2011, 07:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like the way Hallifax seems to be built around the idea of independent thinking and self improvement, as if the player actually wanted to enjoy themselves. tongue.gif

suspicious.gif

Unknown2011-01-06 17:32:08
QUOTE (Daraius @ Jan 6 2011, 10:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
suspicious.gif

Shh. Actually, funnily enough, we kind of are more open compared to other orgs in terms of what your character can have as a goal in life. laugh.gif You can do whatever you want, so long as it benefits the Collective and you aren't breaking any laws in the process. suspicious.gif Improve yourself, not for yourself, but for the Collective!