Origami patterns

by Druken

Back to The Polling Place.

Druken2011-01-02 16:49:09
Dear Eventru and Co--

Here are the nouns we've amassed!

Dear Everyone Else--

The polls are multiple choice. Let us know which ones you REALLY want so that it'll be easier for Eventru and the Charites to determine each pattern's popularity.

EDIT: If a lot of options tie, or if we can't adequately determine the most popular nouns from any given category, we'll pair it down even further in another poll. Huzzah democracy.
Druken2011-01-02 18:34:31
Make sure to vote! This has an affect on all of you!
Diamondais2011-01-02 18:40:22
I don't know, for animals and birds it seems like Animal (animal shaped origami that resembles a Stag, cat, fox, bear, etc.) and Bird (bird shaped origami that resembles an Eagle, thunderbird, crow, etc.)would be enough so I chose those. Voted similarly for the most part, few other things I felt could have their own thing. I just see this getting horribly big and scary.
Sylphas2011-01-02 18:48:18
Using the more generic terms stills leaves with the situation they apparently want to avoid of having people probably try to refer to it by the animal. "A bird shaped origami resembling a thunderbird" is both redundant, and seems to contain three main nouns you could use. If we're going to introduce that level of possible confusion, we should just use "origami" by itself and go wild with designs.

Diamondais2011-01-02 18:56:25
QUOTE (Sylphas @ Jan 2 2011, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Using the more generic terms stills leaves with the situation they apparently want to avoid of having people probably try to refer to it by the animal. "A bird shaped origami resembling a thunderbird" is both redundant, and seems to contain three main nouns you could use. If we're going to introduce that level of possible confusion, we should just use "origami" by itself and go wild with designs.

Well, I feel that origami would be the best term, but I don't think they're allowing that. tongue.gif
Unknown2011-01-02 20:23:35
I voted both for specifics and generics... though I understand the desire not to complicate nouns...I really would like to see origami also as a main noun :/ I'm likely exaggerating but, I'm just afraid things might go along the lines of 'an origami animal reminescent of a moose' 'a white origami mandala symbol' or ' a dusky purple origami crow bird....thunderbird bird, phoenix bird, two-headed eagle bird ' 'a turquoise origami bird resembling an elemental hummingbird' etc.
Lilia2011-01-02 20:39:36
Rather than the ambiguous 'symbol', I think we should go with medallion. There's even a nifty modular version.
Unknown2011-01-02 21:48:59
Actually, if we can target EMPTY, why not ORIGAMI? 'Empty' isn't a noun either...
Lilia2011-01-02 22:10:56
QUOTE (Caerulo @ Jan 2 2011, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, if we can target EMPTY, why not ORIGAMI? 'Empty' isn't a noun either...

You can target ORIGAMI, it's just not the main noun of the design.
Druken2011-01-03 01:24:34
Make sure you vote! The second, final poll will be up tomorrow morning! I'll be taking the five top picks from each category.
Xiel2011-01-03 01:38:15
Go go all-encompassing nouns go! wub.gif the aesthetically pleasing image of 'an origami rose blossom' over 'an origami rose flower'. Same with the symbol! Woo origami symbols of .

Pity we don't have an animal noun. Could just make 'a flailing turtle origami animal' than the limiting turtle singularity, but I chose turtle anyways. happy.gif
Talan2011-01-03 01:43:53
Xenthos and I were in the city this weekend and found some inspiration for your origami making and thought we'd share!

Some more pics here - pretty nifty. They do this every year, apparently they started folding in July!
Xiel2011-01-03 01:50:40
I see...several origami dinosaurs. dazed.gif
Diamondais2011-01-03 01:56:14
QUOTE (Xiel @ Jan 3 2011, 01:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, we do have allisaurs (spelling is probably off) at least on one of the aetherbubbles.
Xenthos2011-01-03 02:00:56
QUOTE (Xiel @ Jan 2 2011, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There was a guy there folding more origami-beings, too, and showing others how to do it. Quite exciting.

There were also origami penguins, origami nests, horses, birds, frogs, and more (these are shown in the picture as well, though I'm not sure if the penguin has been captured)!