Poisonists

by Unknown

Back to Mechanic's Corner.

Unknown2010-12-15 15:58:14
What do all you poisonists do for automating the tracking/extracting of poisons? Do you II capture and loop on numerical IDs? Do you extract and put it in your pack? Do you keep track of keg numbers for your shop(s)?

Other trades seem more straightforward on how to make them work with a scripted module of some sort, but I'm curious to know how others deal with poisons.
Unknown2010-12-15 16:13:47
Put away all your personal kegs before extracting, and make sure your shop or whatever only sells kegs of poison (not vials).

Get
extract into keg
drop creature;extract into keg
repeat previous step as able
drop keg

Inelegant, but efficient.
Unknown2010-12-15 17:09:25
That's basically what I do, except I stick the dead things in my pack. The jeweled scorpions are a little bit of a challenge to separate out, and I'm looking for ideas on how to make a little smarter solution to handle not only shopkeeping but also extracting a few vials full for people on the spot.
Unknown2010-12-15 18:49:10
QUOTE (Zarquan @ Dec 15 2010, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's basically what I do, except I stick the dead things in my pack. The jeweled scorpions are a little bit of a challenge to separate out, and I'm looking for ideas on how to make a little smarter solution to handle not only shopkeeping but also extracting a few vials full for people on the spot.

Oh. Yeah, I don't really have much advice there. I sorcel-glass all my vials, so I don't need to be bothered with gem-type recognition getting confused that way, but that's not practical for everyone.
Xenthos2010-12-15 22:38:36
QUOTE (Zarquan @ Dec 15 2010, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What do all you poisonists do for automating the tracking/extracting of poisons? Do you II capture and loop on numerical IDs? Do you extract and put it in your pack? Do you keep track of keg numbers for your shop(s)?

Other trades seem more straightforward on how to make them work with a scripted module of some sort, but I'm curious to know how others deal with poisons.

I actually have a little bug-report filed which may help out with extracting of poisons into shop kegs, at least, if it gets fixed (it's currently classified). I am hopeful at least.

Currently I am just picking up all my poison kegs and type out EXTRACT CREATURE INTO keg#. While recovering balance, I then do PUT CREATURE IN PURSE;EXTRACT CREATURE INTO keg#.

At some point here I plan to set all my shop kegs up in a list variable so I can create a little system script to do it, along with a variable of creatures that contain poisons. Then I can do poisonharvest X, it will do a lookup check on X to see what kind of poison, then do a lookup check on that poison's keg #. Then it will just add to my balance queue "put X in purse, extract X" until I get the "you hold no 'X'" line, at which point I will have it pull all the corpses out of the purse.

Then manually POISONHARVEST Y to start the process over.

The most annoying part so far is having to pick up the shop kegs to do anything with them, though. As for individual vials, I usually take the corpses, stuff them into my kegs, then just refill their empties from my kegs.
Unknown2010-12-15 23:21:31
Seems reasonable enough.

I like refilling vials straight from the extraction because the gloves give more sips.

I'll have to work on the lookup table thing, and it still won't help with the scorpions, unfortunately, so I'll just have to manually separate them out on the floor or something first.

Thanks for the feedback.
Raeri2010-12-15 23:40:53
Extract into the vial and then pour it into the keg?
Xenthos2010-12-15 23:44:31
QUOTE (Raeri @ Dec 15 2010, 06:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Extract into the vial and then pour it into the keg?

I believe that the keg gets 2 vial fills if you extract into it with gloves, but then if you try to put it into a vial only one of those goes into the vial (for 50 sips) whereas if he did it directly into the vial it would have 100 (and last twice as long).

That's my understanding of the comment at least.
Unknown2010-12-16 00:01:01
Well, it's more than that, too. I'm pretty sure extracting into a vial at trans poisons with gloves yields 110 applications or so (and IIRC, extracting into an artifact vial is 161 applications... apparently it tops off at that amount).
Lilian2010-12-16 01:30:03
QUOTE (Vendetta Morendo @ Dec 15 2010, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, it's more than that, too. I'm pretty sure extracting into a vial at trans poisons with gloves yields 110 applications or so (and IIRC, extracting into an artifact vial is 161 applications... apparently it tops off at that amount).

No, no it does not. Only 100 applications. I...don't know why. Alchemists get bonus sips, why no love for poisonists :<
Unknown2010-12-16 02:41:21
QUOTE (Lilian Ama'Rua @ Dec 15 2010, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, no it does not. Only 100 applications. I...don't know why. Alchemists get bonus sips, why no love for poisonists :<

Ah, it'd been so long since I extracted into a vial that I had forgotten. I wonder where these extra sips Iasmos is talking about came from, then? Or is it more to save on vials by having 100 apps in one vial instead of having people refill two vials of 50 apps? Because you still get two vials worth if you extract into the keg.
Unknown2010-12-16 02:49:32
That's all I meant, yeah. Fewer vials for the same sips. It'd be nice to get the extra 10, like the alchemists.