Wargames: Me vs Lilian

by Neos

Back to Combat Logs.

Neos2010-11-20 21:19:44
http://nogfx.org/logs/1347
I admit I only used like four afflictions, because I tend to not think and don't switch around enough.
Unknown2010-11-20 21:43:27
My advice: always log in color and always spell "vampirism" correctly.
Neos2010-11-20 21:51:33
QUOTE (Zarquan @ Nov 20 2010, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My advice: always log in color and always spell "vampirism" correctly.

I tend to forget to start logging, and the usually thing I use to log crashes mudlet every now and then. My problem, not mudlets. And I don't know html so editing it is difficult without help. Spelling doesn't matter. I use it just to have it there. I know what it should be. And I didn't post this to get advice. And when I put that echo in, it was a rush job, so I didn't take the time to check the spelling.
Rivius2010-11-21 16:51:46
Oh my goodness...I realized I wasn't apply poisons for some reason. Apparently I changed a variable and it all went fubar :|
Hehe...Had to heartstop out of that one...

I really wish this was in colour though sad.gif

You weave your illusion.
The bones of your right arm suddenly snap.

Here you made her apply mending, but you didn't really do anything otherwise...Not much of a useful illusion... The other ones at least seemed to throw her off herb balance.

Looks like a long annoying fight for the both of you, but you both seem to be tough cookies
Neos2010-11-21 16:56:01
QUOTE (Rivius @ Nov 21 2010, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh my goodness...I realized I wasn't apply poisons for some reason. Apparently I changed a variable and it all went fubar :|
Hehe...Had to heartstop out of that one...

I really wish this was in colour though sad.gif

Here you made her apply mending, but you didn't really do anything otherwise...Not much of a useful illusion... The other ones at least seemed to throw her off herb balance.

Looks like a long annoying fight for the both of you, but you both seem to be tough cookies

Once I find a logger that doesn't end up crashing mudlet on a simple mistake like clicking while it's logging, and once I understand html well enough to properly edit it, and also a logger that copies over all my echos and things not directly sent by Lusternia. Like my prompt.
I honestly don't know what are the best illusions to use, so I just threw a bunch of illusions into two tables and switch between them with each illusion being randomly chosen. Working on redoing them, but I honestly don't know the best illusions to use at this time.
Lilian2010-11-21 17:00:44
I sort of suck in general, so there's not much you can learn by fighting me...
Vathael2010-11-21 17:06:15
Tip: Don't spam in aeon.
Furien2010-11-21 17:24:04
You want to use illusions that will stack up with the combo you're using - 90% of the time, this illusion is going to be something related to an herb cure. Your primary goal is to extend the duration of your afflictions as long as possible - you want them to take the Illusion bait so your attacks will stick. Looking at your first combo:

Epilepsy - focus mind, kombu
Paralyse - focus body
PsychicVampirism - ego dmg
Illusion - Broken Leg

This doesn't have any good synergy. Focus body + eat kombu + apply mending. You disrupted 3 balances at once to little effect; each affliction was immediately cured. I'll elaborate on this in a moment, but another important point... I saw this:

! ! ! SUBSTRATUS OPEN ! ! !
! ! ! ID OPEN ! ! !

Unless you have to use Substratus first as part of the combo due to channel restrictions always use ID first. The balance time scales with your remaining ego - you don't want to stick it later on in the list and risk slowing it down. After two combos (you missed part of #2 due to stupidity) you stumbled and launched another combo as soon as you regained eq (but not your other balances). You generally want to avoid doing this, with a few exceptions. It may look different to you (log isn't in html) but I find it helpful to make your Superstratus channel echo/highlight the most colorful/unique of all the channels, because it's typically going to be the one that dictates when you're mobile again. Mine looks like this:

Nonstandard characters, uncommon and clashing colours (orange, cyan, magenta), symbols, kanji, whatever eye-drawing thing you need, it all helps.

Anyways: you stumbled through your balances again. Slow down! Wait for superstratus. If you lose it to stupidity, you'll realize something's wrong with your tempo when your colourful echo doesn't fire. Likewise, you're using a Beorc illusion - bad. Shyness is a mental aff, yes, but it also has a purgative cure, which most systems are going to use to cure it because it's faster and less important compared to herb and focus.

And then you stumbled through balances again ahhhhhhh wait for superstratus before you attack. You use a feoh rune illusion - this is a solid illusion. But your random psyvamp out of nowhere had no synergy at all. Again, wait for balance. Then you balance stumbled again - I'm just going to stop pointing it out now. Nyd illusion is bad - sensitivity is easily cured for purgative balance. Avoid.

Okay, just scrolling through this log, I can see why you think telepathy sucks: you're just blanketly doing it wrong, sorry.

I noticed this as well:

Healspring, Needlerain, Stillwater, Jellies, Icefloe, Tsunami, Typhoon, Currents will tick in 5 seconds.

This echo is good. Aquamancer is more TP-friendly than other demesnes because of its reliable stun and the paralysis that comes with it. I don't know how coloured that is, but I'd change it:

<< DEMESNE HITTING IN # SECONDS >>

It doesn't need to be a long list. Keep it simple. Make it some unique colour you don't ordinarily use in your echoes, so it's distinct from everything else. When you see that colour flash by, you'll know what it means.

Protip: If you set up your demesne effects by default (aquacast needlerain demesne for example) you can just use Flashflood to reset them all up into the 1,000 range. Saves you time and stops the enemy from being able to interrupt you.
Neos2010-11-21 17:32:54
QUOTE (Furien @ Nov 21 2010, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You want to use illusions that will stack up with the combo you're using - 90% of the time, this illusion is going to be something related to an herb cure. Your primary goal is to extend the duration of your afflictions as long as possible - you want them to take the Illusion bait so your attacks will stick. Looking at your first combo:

Epilepsy - focus mind, kombu
Paralyse - focus body
PsychicVampirism - ego dmg
Illusion - Broken Leg

This doesn't have any good synergy. Focus body + eat kombu + apply mending. You disrupted 3 balances at once to little effect; each affliction was immediately cured. I'll elaborate on this in a moment, but another important point... I saw this:

! ! ! SUBSTRATUS OPEN ! ! !
! ! ! ID OPEN ! ! !

Unless you have to use Substratus first as part of the combo due to channel restrictions always use ID first. The balance time scales with your remaining ego - you don't want to stick it later on in the list and risk slowing it down. After two combos (you missed part of #2 due to stupidity) you stumbled and launched another combo as soon as you regained eq (but not your other balances). You generally want to avoid doing this, with a few exceptions. It may look different to you (log isn't in html) but I find it helpful to make your Superstratus channel echo/highlight the most colorful/unique of all the channels, because it's typically going to be the one that dictates when you're mobile again. Mine looks like this:

Nonstandard characters, uncommon and clashing colours (orange, cyan, magenta), symbols, kanji, whatever eye-drawing thing you need, it all helps.

Anyways: you stumbled through your balances again. Slow down! Wait for superstratus. If you lose it to stupidity, you'll realize something's wrong with your tempo when your colourful echo doesn't fire. Likewise, you're using a Beorc illusion - bad. Shyness is a mental aff, yes, but it also has a purgative cure, which most systems are going to use to cure it because it's faster and less important compared to herb and focus.

And then you stumbled through balances again ahhhhhhh wait for superstratus before you attack. You use a feoh rune illusion - this is a solid illusion. But your random psyvamp out of nowhere had no synergy at all. Again, wait for balance. Then you balance stumbled again - I'm just going to stop pointing it out now. Nyd illusion is bad - sensitivity is easily cured for purgative balance. Avoid.

Okay, just scrolling through this log, I can see why you think telepathy sucks: you're just blanketly doing it wrong, sorry.

I noticed this as well:

Healspring, Needlerain, Stillwater, Jellies, Icefloe, Tsunami, Typhoon, Currents will tick in 5 seconds.

This echo is good. Aquamancer is more TP-friendly than other demesnes because of its reliable stun and the paralysis that comes with it. I don't know how coloured that is, but I'd change it:

<< DEMESNE HITTING IN # SECONDS >>

It doesn't need to be a long list. Keep it simple. Make it some unique colour you don't ordinarily use in your echoes, so it's distinct from everything else. When you see that colour flash by, you'll know what it means.

Protip: If you set up your demesne effects by default (aquacast needlerain demesne for example) you can just use Flashflood to reset them all up into the 1,000 range. Saves you time and stops the enemy from being able to interrupt you.

As I said, I don't know the best illusions, just grabbed a bunch of lines. I do the list to remind me what effects are missing. At full effects it's not the list. And I don't think Telepathy sucks, I love the skill, why I chose it. And since I didn't really have anyone teaching me the best illusions and combos I had to learn by myself and that's why I fumble around.
Furien2010-11-21 17:34:53
Lilian:

lol heartstop, I was wondering how long it was going to go on, but anyways:

I didn't see you use any of your power attacks. I think for BCs it's Crush. I didn't see Neos parrying or stancing at all, really - you could have gotten him and came close a few times, but your relative newness to the Warrior class hindered you. I can't claim to be anymore experienced outside of 'I repeatedly had my ass kicked by Vathael and/or Thoros in the past' but I learned a few things from them:

1. I don't think your mantakaya will get you very far, but I'm not sure how much Discipline Neos has. It'll work as a temporary way to bypass parry/stance when they're not prone, though. Dulak, senso, chansu (when going for crushwindpipe) and calcise are all solid venoms.

2. Use maneuvers. You were getting bloody noses where broken noses would have helped more (which they always will due to stun), you were shattering his jaw (relatively useless) when you could have been fracturing his skull (very useful - herb cure, arnica, stopped by slickness due to apply, which causes a stupidity-like effect that may (?) stack with dulak). You were getting him in range of CrushedWindPipe all through the fight and even almost killed him with it a few times, you probably could have pulped or crushed twice and landed a BashBrains instakill.

3. Good try using the Aeon. It's a solid strategy, but when you're in a passive-curing demesne you're probably better off just sticking to your weapons.
Furien2010-11-21 17:36:33
QUOTE (AquaNeos @ Nov 21 2010, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As I said, I don't know the best illusions, just grabbed a bunch of lines. I do the list to remind me what effects are missing. At full effects it's not the list. And I don't think Telepathy sucks, I love the skill, why I chose it. And since I didn't really have anyone teaching me the best illusions and combos I had to learn by myself and that's why I fumble around.

I can export my combos for you (Mudlet) if you find me ingame. I keep my aliases commented with assorted reminders/tips to help, too.

(I was the last guy to give you advice on this, probably, so I shouldn't be too hard to find.)

edit: Also, you didn't use Phantoms or Claws or Reality. All of these will help immensely when you have proper technique down.
Lilian2010-11-21 17:38:17
QUOTE (Furien @ Nov 21 2010, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lilian:

lol heartstop, I was wondering how long it was going to go on, but anyways:

I didn't see you use any of your power attacks. I think for BCs it's Crush. I didn't see Neos parrying or stancing at all, really - you could have gotten him and came close a few times, but your relative newness to the Warrior class hindered you. I can't claim to be anymore experienced outside of 'I repeatedly had my ass kicked by Vathael and/or Thoros in the past' but I learned a few things from them:

1. I don't think your mantakaya will get you very far, but I'm not sure how much Discipline Neos has. Dulak, senso, chansu (when going for crushwindpipe) and calcise are all solid.

2. Use maneuvers. You were getting bloody noses where broken noses would have helped more (which they always will due to stun), you were shattering his jaw (relatively useless) when you could have been fracturing his skull (very useful - herb cure, arnica, stopped by slickness due to apply, which causes a stupidity-like effect that may (?) stack with dulak). If you were getting him in range of CrushedWindPipe, you probably could have pulped or crushed twice and landed a BashBrains instakill.

3. Good try using the Aeon. It's a solid strategy, but when you're in a passive-curing demesne you're probably better off just sticking to your weapons.

I was using crushes...most head-attacks were crushes...
Furien2010-11-21 17:48:16
QUOTE (Lilian Ama'Rua @ Nov 21 2010, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was using crushes...most head-attacks were crushes...

Were you? Most of what I saw were simply strikes.

With a focused look, Lilian strikes at you with a hammer of blackened iron.

It's been awhile since I ever fought a bonecrusher, so that might be crush's message.

Even then, you want to mix up your crushes with SMITE DOWNs. This'll help you land broken noses and fractured skulls. SMITE UP might have some applications, too (don't laugh at me if I'm wrong Vathael :< ), but generally you'd have had an easier time simply mixing it up with SMITE DOWNs and cooperating with the RNG. You'll really want that stun + stupidity to get ahead of them.

I don't know what combatstyle you were using at the time, but last I heard the best choices were Concentrated or Lightning.
Shamarah2010-11-21 18:00:36
Crushes are observed by the modifier in the second sentence, eg. "With a focused look, Lilian strikes at you with a hammer of blackened iron. Your left thigh bone is crushed and shatters under the force of the blow."
Vathael2010-11-21 21:32:41
QUOTE (Furien @ Nov 21 2010, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's been awhile since I ever fought a bonecrusher, so that might be crush's message.

Even then, you want to mix up your crushes with SMITE DOWNs. This'll help you land broken noses and fractured skulls. SMITE UP might have some applications, too (don't laugh at me if I'm wrong Vathael :< ), but generally you'd have had an easier time simply mixing it up with SMITE DOWNs and cooperating with the RNG. You'll really want that stun + stupidity to get ahead of them.

I don't know what combatstyle you were using at the time, but last I heard the best choices were Concentrated or Lightning.

not so much on the smite ups. Don't remember exactly what I did for maneuvers but I had 2 different smite down macros for two different attack styles, one was just straight breaknose/breakchest/bashbrain/mantakaya spamming and the other was like one maneuver with fracturedskull/breaknose/breakchest and the other with blackeye/breaknose/breakchest and I think I used charybdon/mantakaya on this attack, charybdon for some hidden stupidity and mantakaya for the normal smite train spamming. Another tactic was hit with blackeye and hide burstorgans behind the blackout. I never really messed with that because stun/mantakaya and mangle/windpipe whoring was much easier, though Ceren used it quite a few times.
Lilian2010-11-21 22:14:20
QUOTE (Furien @ Nov 21 2010, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I generally use lightning combatstyle...I hit a lot of reboundings in that fight since I didn't have rebound highlighting (which I now do) and tried to spam my bashbrain maneuver with senso when I saw the windpipe being crushed (also didn't have that highlighted, now I do...)

I cannot code, so I am stealing notes from what Rivius gave me for stancing/parrying >_>

I'm generally clueless about fighting, even with all the advice I get from even unexpected peoples. I try to follow clhelp bonecrushertactics as well... I have started to try use smite more, but it gets parried/stanced a lot :/ What is the RNG?

I heartstopped because I had no willpower (0wp) and could not fight anymore.

EDIT: General frustration also makes me very terrible and think badly. And rude, I hate to admit.
Vathael2010-11-21 22:18:51
DO NOT USE COMBATSTYLE LIGHTNING.
Furien2010-11-21 22:26:45
QUOTE (Vathael @ Nov 21 2010, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DO NOT USE COMBATSTYLE LIGHTNING.

Welp, that explains that.

QUOTE (Lilian Ama'Rua @ Nov 21 2010, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I generally use lightning combatstyle...I hit a lot of reboundings in that fight since I didn't have rebound highlighting (which I now do) and tried to spam my bashbrain maneuver with senso when I saw the windpipe being crushed (also didn't have that highlighted, now I do...)

I cannot code, so I am stealing notes from what Rivius gave me for stancing/parrying >_>

I'm generally clueless about fighting, even with all the advice I get from even unexpected peoples. I try to follow clhelp bonecrushertactics as well... I have started to try use smite more, but it gets parried/stanced a lot :/ What is the RNG?

I heartstopped because I had no willpower (0wp) and could not fight anymore.

EDIT: General frustration also makes me very terrible and think badly. And rude, I hate to admit.

Your smites will hit best after a successful leg knockdown. Any hit that scores mantakaya would help too.

RNG is the random number generator/god. Rumour has it that ritualistic genuflection and virgin sacrifice can give you a slightly better chance of scoring the wounds you're looking for, but to the dismay of virgins everywhere this has not been confirmed or denied either way!

With your basic technique/tactics improving, you might want to start expanding on those echoes. Make one for everyone affliction you use in your maneuvers, that way you can track their wounding progress as you go. Highlighting salve applications might help too.
Rika2010-11-21 22:35:42
The best combatstyle to use in most situations is no combatstyle. Aggressive and concentrated have their uses, but not in this situation. Lightning, as Vathael suggests, is useless, in every situation.
Vathael2010-11-21 22:50:16
Most applications, I generally always used combatstyle aggressive either hunting or pvping against robes or in groups. Vs warriors I generally switched to concentrated for that extra wounding, as little extra as it may be.