Aetherpiloting techniques

by Daraius

Back to Survival Guide.

Daraius2010-11-05 15:33:24
So I really like aetherhunting, but I have very limited experience and training in piloting techniques. Right now I think I'm the only regular pilot in Hallifax, so I don't have many tutoring options. I'm hoping somebody can give me advice on efficient hunting.

Right now we only do gargantuans. I set two shockwaves next to a vortex, then say 'Siphon' when we're sitting on the vortex, and then fly to the other side of the shockwaves while the gargantuans (usually one or two) lurch towards us. I know this isn't the most efficient way to do it, but it's generally very safe. Plus, I don't know any other way. Any help would be appreciated.

Ship has 2050 hull, for what it's worth. 1 lightning diamonut, a wheel, antenna, and spider.
Anisu2010-11-05 16:02:52
QUOTE (Daraius @ Nov 5 2010, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So I really like aetherhunting, but I have very limited experience and training in piloting techniques. Right now I think I'm the only regular pilot in Hallifax, so I don't have many tutoring options. I'm hoping somebody can give me advice on efficient hunting.

Right now we only do gargantuans. I set two shockwaves next to a vortex, then say 'Siphon' when we're sitting on the vortex, and then fly to the other side of the shockwaves while the gargantuans (usually one or two) lurch towards us. I know this isn't the most efficient way to do it, but it's generally very safe. Plus, I don't know any other way. Any help would be appreciated.

Ship has 2050 hull, for what it's worth. 1 lightning diamonut, a wheel, antenna, and spider.

most efficient but hardest to pull of in terms of resources:
Dragons: 3 shockwaves in line or L formation (L is most efficient because your accuracy decreases with range), only trans aethercraft with high proficiency on turrets, empath with clarity, someone to hunt slivven right after destroying a dragon (the rest just continues hunting, if the slivven hunter is a monk, warrior or demigod they should be killing them fast enough to relock before the new dragon is destroyed).

General gist: draw, fly in shockwave, empath uses clarity, move out of the shockwaves and to the other side within 8 seconds. (only fly in a shockwave when the beast isn't in one, if you force your empath to use clarity a lot it will drain their willpower)

Less efficient but still pretty good:
Same but after each dragon everyone kills slivven

Most efficient when you can't handle dragons:
Gargantuans: 2 shockwaves (not really needed but makes it easier, also don't have to fly in to them so no clarity needed), as high trained combateers as possible, dedicated slivven hunter + having a crew that can kill slivven while locked in modules, rest don't stop to hunt slivven unless you are being overwhelmed.

General tips:
- Don't take people that demand certain positions they are not worth it and from experience end up slowing down your crew.
- Some people don't care much about the xp and are willing to hunt slivven in exchange for their IC wife/friend/child being on a module, while rare they are super awesome to have as you never have to stop aetherbattles
- Having a regular crew tends to help in being able to start quickly
- If you are manually piloting using macros regularly change the hand that uses the numpad as it really starts to hurt after 3 hours
- Listen to music or watch television. Reading isn't as good idea cause it is harder to split your attention
- If you find out someone is afking simply kill them and never invite them again, this prevents your ship from being imploded by admins.
Daraius2010-11-06 00:48:08
Where are dragons, anyhow? Astral? I don't think there are enough highly trained crew in Hallifax to handle them (yet!), in any case.
Lilian2010-11-06 01:11:09
Dragons are near the Void...which is yeah, near the astral vortex, though there are other spots.

Light cyan areas on this map -> http://wiki.lusternia.com/File:AetherspacePrime.png

(whisper) Trans aethercraft, high proficiency, level 1 crit rune, no life member willing to join your hunts...
Gleip2010-11-06 15:21:20
The area with dragons also got Scyllus... or whatever they're called.
Eritheyl2010-11-10 09:33:34
Dragons really aren't as big of a deal as people will lead on. Sure, I get my crews blown up a lot...but there's normally issues outside of my control behind each explosion, ahem. Reading over advice might help a bit, but the best way to see how it all works is to just try it. My first dragonhunt piloting experience was awful, and I'm pretty sure Lilian was there, for reference.

Also. You -could- swing it with only two of your gunners at trans, it just tends to make the progress painfully slow.
Anisu2010-11-10 15:08:40
QUOTE (eritheyl @ Nov 10 2010, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also. You -could- swing it with only two of your gunners at trans, it just tends to make the progress painfully slow.

In this case you will rack in more xp doing gargantuans. The main problem isn't get your ship blown up, in fact this is a very small factor. The main problem is that to make hunting dragons more worth it then gargantuans and tendrils you need a certain momentum.

You can even swing it with no trans combateers, the only ones that make dragon hunts possible or not possible is:
- the concentration of the pilot (both in movement and in keeping power up against karbs)
- the empath having clarity
- the ship having enough hull to take both the hit of a dragon and a karb at the same time
- siphoners that do not oversiphon
Daraius2010-11-13 03:39:16
Thanks much for the tips. It sounds like I'm pretty much doing all right already. I've got comprehensive records on everyone who's flown with me, so I tend to know who's reliable on which modules. One day, dragons!