m&m beta

by Vadi

Back to Mechanic's Corner.

Vadi2010-09-20 17:53:49

Hi!

m&m is now publicly available in beta!

You can view the full features page here; tl;dr version is: public system, runs on Mudlet, cures well, fast, easy to use, 100% customizable priorities, built to be scripted with, choke curing, 60cr.

Big thanks to: Arte, Asmodea, Catarin, Esano, Hadrian, Iasmos, Janalon, Lawliet, Lehki, Marsali, Melville, Sadie, Shuyin, Siam, Sidd, Svorai, Talan, Xenthos, Yuzuki & all the early-early betatesters & everyone else who helped in the smallest of ways.

Unknown2010-09-20 18:04:08
Any form of the word "priority" seems to be your bane. biggrin.gif
Vadi2010-09-20 18:11:23
<.<
Calixa2010-09-20 19:23:01
I'm interested in reviews from beta testers, focusing on both the good and the bad.
Faymar2010-09-20 20:07:24
Under requirements in the Feature page you wrote eat cohosh to cure insomnia, I am assuming you mean eat merbloom and that's from another mud.
Vadi2010-09-20 20:51:00
Thanks, fixed.
Unknown2010-09-20 21:25:29
I'd be interested in testing this and providing suggestions for improvement, but I have zero intention of paying for it. Not because I'm a cheap bastard, but because I already have a high-quality system.

That said, best of luck.
Janalon2010-09-20 21:37:16
QUOTE (Calixa @ Sep 20 2010, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm interested in reviews from beta testers, focusing on both the good and the bad.

I'd be happy to share my general observations, though I don't know what it would be worth as a Mac-based, non-com who has never used another system. Also, not so sure how to review a beta in all fairness knowing there are features in planning but not implemented, and some minor kinks to be ironed out. Though... just say the word.
Unknown2010-09-20 22:30:18
Well, despite only playing Lusternia for about a week and only having this system for around 36 hours, I can state this.

I have been playing the Iron Realms games for nearly a decade. I have used well in excess of a few dozen systems over that time. Free and paid for. I have wrote in excess of a dozen myself. Nothing I have ever seen or written is as organised and as well written as this system is.

As with all systems you will find yourself unfamiliar with, there is a (sometimes)? lengthy transition period where one must learn the inns and outs of such a thing. Not so here. Having everything needed at your disposal in a neat little package is most welcomed. With the system comes a very comprehensive documentation folder with both the API and samples included.

I have really given this system some stick over the last 36 hours. (Awake testing it constantly.) - I have encountered nothing major to note that would warrant any concern. Along with this, what small issues have arose have been fixed almost immediately.

All in all, I am extremely happy with this system. I consider myself more than capable in using both Mudlet and Lua. (Using the latter for a good 4/5 years.) Despite this, I still bought this system knowing beforehand that it would be second to none.

Totally 100% worth the cost. (Worth a lot more, in my opinion, but hey.)
Isa2010-09-20 22:50:57
I've really enjoyed using m&m so far. Very simple to install/use. Cures well. Good documentation and support.

Out of all the features, I think the best part of the system is the flexibility and customization. It's really satisfying to to be able to take control of your own prioritization and very easy to specify which skills to use or not to use (i.e. cleanse spell or enchant, gedulah, clot vs. chervil, etc.). It's also rather straight-forward to script things that work with the system (by using raised events, etc.) instead of creating separate (and often redundant) customizations/enhancements.

Not to mention Vadi has been an absolute pleasure to interact with. If there was a problem with the system, he would implement a fix in the next update, often in the very same day. If there was anything I didn't understand or if something didn't work correctly due to user error, he has been very responsive and patient in helping me with it.

I'm very pleased that Mudlet has a good system for Lusternia now. I find Mudlet to be more user friendly than other clients. The price for the system is very low considering the quality, in my opinion.
Shaddus2010-09-21 00:40:15
tempted to try this. how does it handle in choke? how hard is it to make aliases, especially ones that will pause or unpause the system for timed instas, as opposed to mushclient? how is the anti-illusion? is there a decent amount of attention-getting colournotes? can you toggle off the asci notes?
Unknown2010-09-21 00:45:01
This is the only reason I'm getting into combat and can actually kill people/not die so quickly. For Mudlet users on a Mac it's perfect. And Vadi is really quick about responding to issues/bugs. This is still just beta so don't expect it to be completely flawless, but it's really good.

I haven't done too much customization... I just use regular alises. But from what I've glanced it seems easy enough, relatively speaking (and I have no coding background).
Unknown2010-09-21 00:51:07
I'm not so sure the logs from Wuylinfe are a great advertisement, though. There appeared to be a couple of issues with the code (which I'm sure have been fixed). Probably should post more recent logs instead.
Vadi2010-09-21 01:25:24
Yes, all issues found in the logs were fixed - I'd really like newer logs.
Vadi2010-09-21 01:28:17
QUOTE (Shaddus Mes'ard @ Sep 21 2010, 12:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
tempted to try this. how does it handle in choke? how hard is it to make aliases, especially ones that will pause or unpause the system for timed instas, as opposed to mushclient? how is the anti-illusion? is there a decent amount of attention-getting colournotes? can you toggle off the asci notes?

"how does it handle in choke?" - it cures everything efficiently. also has two modes - see features page, it explains it

"how hard is it to make aliases, especially ones that will pause or unpause the system for timed instas, as opposed to mushclient" - it's easy to make them, and I've never used mushclient extensively, sorry

"how is the anti-illusion?" handles everything I've seen thrown at me, and I'm always updating it if anything new goes thorugh

"is there a decent amount of attention-getting colournotes?" there are warnings for important situations / locks

"can you toggle off the asci notes?" - I don't consider it good philosophy to spam your screen with debug curing information, so it doesn't do that. things are kept minimal to what is actually important, so your attention doesn't automatically ignore all the walls of text. but yes, you can change how warnings are given.
Okin2010-09-21 01:43:45
This system looks awesome and Mudlet is super-pretty. To summarise: want.

However, I really can't make a switch to a client for which I have no influence system, since I do this a lot more than I cure, really. The do-repeat function is nifty, but it doesn't cut it for influencing. Is there any prospect for coding something basic to handle influencing in the foreseeable future?
Unknown2010-09-21 01:55:40
For influencing I've used and adapted demonnic's free script and it works fine. Uses a separate balance catching code though.
Mirami2010-09-21 01:57:26
Keep in mind that, if I understand the 'buy' page right, 60cr only really unlocks the system for one character, and then you need to shell out more credits to outfit each character after that (different guilds=different skills).

Pretty sure I saw a mudlet influence system around here somewhere. If not, I'm sure somebody would be willing to code one and release it, since it's not a particularly complicated bit of code.
Shaddus2010-09-21 02:10:12
wait,what? i have to pay extra for alts? and what if i switch guilds or stop playing one character and move to another?
Shaddus2010-09-21 02:11:05
wait,what? i have to pay extra for alts? and what if i switch guilds or stop playing one character and move to another?