Guild and Collegium Welcome

by Janalon

Back to Mechanic's Corner.

Janalon2010-09-12 16:02:33
I always fumble to welcome newbs on the collegium and guild novice channels. It usually happens at inopportune times (like when I am fighting gorgogs and can't stray away from what I am doing). Not to mention everyone seems to beat me to it. I'd like to automate the process for this reason.

CODE
(Stingers): Please welcome Weeky who has graduated from the Shadowmaze and joins as a novice freshman!

How do I capture "Weeky" to send back a message like:

CODE
send (.. NEWB_TARGET .. ", welcome to the Scorpion Cult. Please read through GHELP STINGS to advance your standing as a Sting in your service as a novice to the Nekotai.

How would I also capture and respond to the collegium welcome.

CODE
(Shadowmaze): Please welcome Weeky who has just enrolled into the Shadowmaze to learn the ways of the Nekotai!

Should I make the guild a second capture? Then how could I replace with Nekotai = CGHELP STINGS, Ebonguard = CGHELP WYRMS... or would I be better using a separate trigger for each response?
Diamondais2010-09-12 17:25:27
Don't automate this, there's a small period where lots of text comes up and it will get lost, not to mention they will likely register immediately.
Thendis2010-09-12 17:26:46
QUOTE (diamondais @ Sep 12 2010, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't automate this, there's a small period where lots of text comes up and it will get lost, not to mention they will likely register immediately.

Give it a delay?
Everiine2010-09-12 17:41:20
Or don't trigger it at all. Greeting novices is not a race. You don't have to be "first", nor do you have to greet them immediately. So what if somebody "beats you to it?" Automating the greeting of novices is not a good thing, and in some collegiums is specifically shunned.
Lendren2010-09-12 18:09:06
I agree with the "don't automate" part, but with one caveat. Automate capturing the name and guild, and then building a message, but not sending it. Then have an alias send the message previously built. That way if no one else greets, and the time is right, you can do the greeting easily. But doing it is still in your control.
Xenthos2010-09-12 18:12:08
QUOTE (Lendren @ Sep 12 2010, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with the "don't automate" part, but with one caveat. Automate capturing the name and guild, and then building a message, but not sending it. Then have an alias send the message previously built. That way if no one else greets, and the time is right, you can do the greeting easily. But doing it is still in your control.

That's what I did back when we had guild novices. A 'greetwyrm' alias that I'd fire if nobody else had said anything after a bit.
Neos2010-09-12 18:43:34
I did this. Made a trigger to capture, and have an alias to send the greeting. It has it for no matter the guild if there's no one else to greet the novice. I have I think a 20 second delay from when I enter the alias.
Janalon2010-09-12 18:52:51
QUOTE (Lendren @ Sep 12 2010, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you for pointing these concerns-- they were quite helpful!

Hrm... not that I want to be the first, but my welcome messages tend to be long and personalized. That takes quit a few keystrokes which puts me in harms way when I bash (because I don't and won't use an auto-basher). Want to get the message in a timely manner with the least amount of keystrokes.

I'll do something like EBON which will set the variable and then a message specifically for the Ebonguard (for instance). One for each guild. This way my message will be pre-formatted, but not automated.

Though, could anyone help me with how to trigger the name as a variable I could use? I'd like to give this a try so I can just EBON and send my greeting. This should help me cut down on mis-spellings when text is flying by my screen.
Unknown2010-09-12 18:55:08
Don't auto it.. Don't auto it at all dry.gif Besides the fact that you may do it while you're AFK for a minute, and the novice may get ignored.. If people find out you've autoed it, they will do fake ones! Do you really want to be tricked with "(Shadowmaze): Please welcome Bigboobsmcgee who has just enrolled into the Shadowmaze to learn the ways of the Nekotai!"?
Everiine2010-09-12 19:04:16
I have no qualms with aliasing the greeting-- it's the triggering that will get you into trouble.
Janalon2010-09-12 19:21:58
Final decision: alias.

CODE
^nekotai (.*)$

CODE
janalon_newb_tar = matches

send ("Tidings " .. janalon_newb_tar .. ", welcome to the Dark Forest of Glomdoring! Please prepared yourself to enter the Scorpion Cult of the Nekotai by first reading through CGHELP STINGS. Should you have any questions, please ask the Professors of the Shadowmaze Collegium through CGT and your message.")

This works, right?
Lendren2010-09-13 00:25:03
QUOTE (Janalon @ Sep 12 2010, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hrm... not that I want to be the first, but my welcome messages tend to be long and personalized.

Personalized is good. Long is very bad. Get it to two lines or don't bother. Some who just sat through the Fates pontificating at them for fifteen minutes doesn't want or need, and will not respond well to, anything lengthy.
Jules2010-09-13 03:57:14
QUOTE (Janalon @ Sep 12 2010, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Final decision: alias.

CODE
^nekotai (.*)$

CODE
janalon_newb_tar = matches

send ("Tidings " .. janalon_newb_tar .. ", welcome to the Dark Forest of Glomdoring! Please prepared yourself to enter the Scorpion Cult of the Nekotai by first reading through CGHELP STINGS. Should you have any questions, please ask the Professors of the Shadowmaze Collegium through CGT and your message.")

This works, right?

It's been a while, but I think it should work like that.