Creating Combat Echoes

by Janalon

Back to Mechanic's Corner.

Janalon2010-09-20 02:33:28
With a system now behind me, I'm managed to get a few combat rounds in the arena... just to realize just how quickly the scroll of text moves along. With more experience, I'll figure out what to echo and what to gag. For now, I want to develop a series of echoes that are based specifically on my given target. Right now I am working on the perl regex for Mudlet:

CODE
^A copious amount of blood suddenly splutters from Atosh's gut onto the ground, and (he|she) slips in the deep red puddle.$

Where I want to check Atosh against my janalon_pvptar. First, what variable do I use for Atosh where there is an 's. Secondly, how do I check that variable against my janalon_pvptar to send out a Cecho if true? Any and all help will be very much appreciated.
Neos2010-09-20 04:52:52
QUOTE (Janalon @ Sep 19 2010, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With a system now behind me, I'm managed to get a few combat rounds in the arena... just to realize just how quickly the scroll of text moves along. With more experience, I'll figure out what to echo and what to gag. For now, I want to develop a series of echoes that are based specifically on my given target. Right now I am working on the perl regex for Mudlet:

CODE
^A copious amount of blood suddenly splutters from Atosh's gut onto the ground, and (he|she) slips in the deep red puddle.$

Where I want to check Atosh against my janalon_pvptar. First, what variable do I use for Atosh where there is an 's. Secondly, how do I check that variable against my janalon_pvptar to send out a Cecho if true? Any and all help will be very much appreciated.

CODE
^A copious amount of blood suddenly splutters from (\\w+)'s gut onto the ground, and (he|she) slips in the deep red puddle.$
if matches == janalon_pvptar
then cecho(blahwhateveryouwanttoecho)
end

Since I love to help, I'd be willing to share some of the notification stuff I've been working. Not much atm, but it tracks when someone puts up a shield.
Unknown2010-09-20 04:53:46
QUOTE (Janalon @ Sep 19 2010, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

CODE

(\\w+)'s gut

would be matches

if string.lower(matches) == string.lower(janalon_pvptar) then cecho(" Hi, this is a bright echo thingie!") end

--Edit: The string.lower bit is so that no matter how you store janalon_pvptar (upper case, lower case, mix case) it should match the name.

That should about do it.