Vitae

by Dysolis

Back to Survival Guide.

Dysolis2010-08-29 04:19:27
You fall to the ground as the last drops of life-giving blood drain out of your body.
You have been slain by Sahmiam.
Within the blink of an eye, your phantom armour dissipates into the aether.
You come back into focus as the blur illusion vanishes.
As your soul leaves your body, the elixir vitae courses through your spirit and suddenly bursts in a bright light, forming a new body around your soul.

My complaint is this, after you die from vitae you should gain grace. I don't care what form of resurrect it is, the way it works now there is no point in using vitae unless your hunting. You might be able to escape that one denizen attack but when being hindered again (especially against monks) when trying to escape it kind of makes vitae currently useless and a waste of power and gold. The whole point of vitae is to bring someone back to life but if that person just ends up dying right after they have been ressurected then I don't see a point in using it. I can see maybe on the prime material plane where you'll gain suspect in which case they can't attack again and vitae works well that way but for enemy territory vitae doesn't work at all. The defending team get's an advantage because the avenger doesn't watch out for mortals to those in enemy territory which makes vitae useless. Being the attacker in a hunting ground doesn't seem to have the same perks as influencing in your own territory considering that your alerting the enemy which almost guarantees that you will be praying if you can't get away.

I have a few suggestions that might help with this problem, perhaps let the avenger notice those in enemy territory so that way vitae will work once you have gained suspect. The second way i can see this working is that you could have vitae give grace as soon as the defense has been used. These are just my thoughts and i'm wondering what everyone else thinks.
Xenthos2010-08-29 04:23:45
Right off the bat I see an issue with that suggestion: I can raid Prime Serenwilde, run around until a lot of them are declared on me, die, and for 2 million essence they can't attack me for 30 days while I walk around Serenwilde.

50,000 essence if I step outside Seren first, because I'll still have suspect when I go back in and they won't be able to attack with this idea.

The grace one can be debated, but giving suspect is a Bad Idea right from the get-go.
Dysolis2010-08-29 04:29:05
For demigods they might have to up the cost of coming back to life to an amount that isn't outrageous but is doable.
Xenthos2010-08-29 04:30:41
QUOTE (Dysolis @ Aug 29 2010, 12:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For demigods they might have to up the cost of coming back to life to an amount that isn't outrageous but is doable.

... what cost would that be? It's already 500,000 minimum, 2,000,000 maximum if in enemy territory. That's pretty outrageous already. tongue.gif
Dysolis2010-08-29 04:33:46
Wait didn't you say it was 50k?And I would be more for the adding grace once vitae has been used myself.
Xenthos2010-08-29 04:37:09
QUOTE (Dysolis @ Aug 29 2010, 12:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wait didn't you say it was 50k?And I would be more for the adding grace once vitae has been used myself.

Read what I wrote again.

It clearly states something about leaving enemy territory to reduce the essence loss.
Shaddus2010-08-29 04:43:33
Know what helps with this?

don't hunt in enemy territory. Just sayin'.
Dysolis2010-08-29 04:50:33
That would be great but that's like telling a dedicated hunter to not hunt because all the good hunting areas are loyal to certain organizations for example the Kephera or Illithoids.
Dysolis2010-08-29 04:59:19
As for the grace option I don't even care if you gained suspect at the time you die. I just want vitae to be a little more useful in enemy territory so that way it's not a guaranteed pray
Unknown2010-08-29 05:00:35
Why am I being quoted for killing you at The Stairs of the Nine? Let's not forget that you were basically asking for it.
Dysolis2010-08-29 05:04:16
The quote probably should have been from the Under vault in enemy territory but I think I made my point quite clear that you should be given grace within enemy territory.
Unknown2010-08-29 05:12:08
The way it stands, you're only given grace upon a death that removes you from an area via praying, conglutinating, or phoenixing. It's fine as is.
Shaddus2010-08-29 05:13:48
QUOTE (Dysolis @ Aug 28 2010, 11:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That would be great but that's like telling a dedicated hunter to not hunt because all the good hunting areas are loyal to certain organizations for example the Kephera or Illithoids.

I'm just saying don't hunt where you're likely to be hunted.
Dysolis2010-08-29 05:14:25
QUOTE (Shaddus Mes'ard @ Aug 29 2010, 01:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm just saying don't hunt where you're likely to be hunted.

Which includes the worst ares to hunt correct?
Shaddus2010-08-29 05:16:57
QUOTE (Dysolis @ Aug 29 2010, 12:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Which includes the worst ares to hunt correct?

why don't you hunt Astral, or orcs, or Muud, or aslaran/krokani, or any other number of areas. You aren't stupid, you know certain areas are protected.
Dysolis2010-08-29 05:21:17
actually if I remember correctly aslaran and krokani are protected and they don't hand out nearly enough gold and experience.
Unknown2010-08-29 05:23:17
I would just drop it. It's a balancing nightmare to have something that gives you grace AND keeps you on the field. Part of the main strategy in group battles is removing the opponent from the field for a time.

As for hunting in enemy territory. Pay attention to who else is in the area. It's not difficult to check WHO in UV and other area-scanning abilities.

EDIT: Aslaran and Krokani are also avenger-protected areas.
Shiri2010-08-29 05:30:20
The fact bashing areas enemy is a longstanding problem with the game that has nothing to do with grace or vitae. In player-owned areas, working as intended.
Dysolis2010-08-29 05:39:32
Perhaps make it so that the grace given can't be renounced until the time period is over? This way it'll make sure that they won't be able to support their team until the correct amount of time is over.
Shaddus2010-08-29 05:42:34
QUOTE (Dysolis @ Aug 29 2010, 12:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
actually if I remember correctly aslaran and krokani are protected and they don't hand out nearly enough gold and experience.

Aslaran and Krokani aren't protected by anyone, and they don't enemy. Illithoid enemy, which is why Avenger doesn't watch there.