hand-drawn

by Aubrey

Back to Creative Arts.

Aubrey2010-07-30 13:34:36
Am I the only person who does art the old-fashioned way - by hand? I've been considering drawing something related to Lusternia, except I know from past experience that when I scan a drawing, it does not look the same as it did on paper. Last time I drew something, I took a picture of it with my camera and uploaded that, and that looked better, but it still loses some quality of course. Any suggestions?
Chalcedony2010-07-30 13:44:43
All of my drawings are in my sketch book and colored with colored pencil, if that counts.

You might consider trying out a different scanner? Some scanners give your drawing weird tints and usually make them too light -- and if that's the case (the too light thing), my scanner does the same thing. Just plug the picture into Photoshop and play with multiplying layers and changing % of the visibility.

That or you can try tracing them with pen and scan those... Though I know I'm not the biggest fan of pen-drawing since my hands aren't steady. ._.

I wanna see, I wanna see.
Anisu2010-07-30 14:09:16
QUOTE (Aubrey @ Jul 30 2010, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Am I the only person who does art the old-fashioned way - by hand? I've been considering drawing something related to Lusternia, except I know from past experience that when I scan a drawing, it does not look the same as it did on paper. Last time I drew something, I took a picture of it with my camera and uploaded that, and that looked better, but it still loses some quality of course. Any suggestions?

For scanners some tips:
- only use flatbed scanners
- use the maximum -optical- dpi setting. Optical dpi is the first number, for example canon canoscan 8800F has a dpi rating of 4800x9600 dpi, the optical rate here is 4800
- your scanner needs a minimum optical dpi setting of 1200
- adjust lightning in third party software like photoshop
- Maximum dpi on the box = software adjusted = makes drawings ugly = do not use

The use of photo cameras is actually a lot harder, cheaper cameras (eg under 400 dollars) use software to automaticly adjust lightning and often have an inferior flash, this can ruin your drawing. If you have a more expensive one (semi-pro or pro SLR cameras) you will most likely be more experienced in lightning and gain much better result then the standard line scanners.
Aubrey2010-07-30 14:38:48
I'm not using a pen over my nicely-shaded pencil or charcoal. tongue.gif

As for editing programs... On my laptop (which is not connected to my printer, guess I could try to fix that) I have Lightroom, and on both laptop and desktop I have Picasa (for the basic editing I use on most of my photography).

I definitely can't afford a new scanner. The specs on my current one are:

Color vertical optical resolution 1440 dpi dpi
Color horizontal optical resolution 5760 dpi dpi

My camera isn't a disposable piece of junk. It wasn't $400 but it still has aperture, resolution, and all that (and obviously I can turn the flash off...). Maybe I should post some scanned drawings as examples? Then again without the original in front of you it won't mean much.
Anisu2010-07-30 14:58:58
QUOTE (Aubrey @ Jul 30 2010, 04:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not using a pen over my nicely-shaded pencil or charcoal. tongue.gif

As for editing programs... On my laptop (which is not connected to my printer, guess I could try to fix that) I have Lightroom, and on both laptop and desktop I have Picasa (for the basic editing I use on most of my photography).

I definitely can't afford a new scanner. The specs on my current one are:

Color vertical optical resolution 1440 dpi dpi
Color horizontal optical resolution 5760 dpi dpi

My camera isn't a disposable piece of junk. It wasn't $400 but it still has aperture, resolution, and all that (and obviously I can turn the flash off...). Maybe I should post some scanned drawings as examples? Then again without the original in front of you it won't mean much.

man if that is your optical dpi on the scanner I am soooo jealous, that is pro range.

Also I am not really dishing cheaper cameras, even though I have a semi-pro SLR i still use a cheaper one for many things. It is just that very few fixed lens cameras support external lighting options and raw format. (and really why would they, most users want a neat jpeg or other ready to use format out of their cameras anyway)
Shikari2010-07-30 17:33:32
If you are drawing in charcoal, I would suggest against a scanner and instead set up a proper photo-taking place, for lack of a better word. But you might be doing that already, in which case my advice would be pretty useless.
Aubrey2010-07-30 19:03:19
QUOTE (Anisu @ Jul 30 2010, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
man if that is your optical dpi on the scanner I am soooo jealous, that is pro range.

Really? Good to know!

QUOTE (Shikari @ Jul 30 2010, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you are drawing in charcoal, I would suggest against a scanner and instead set up a proper photo-taking place, for lack of a better word. But you might be doing that already, in which case my advice would be pretty useless.

Oh yeah, well first of all I have a spray to preserve charcoal drawings from smudging (I assume that's what your concern would be with scanning charcoal?) but I wouldn't do that anyway, I'd take a picture.

Thanks for the feedback. I had actually forgotten about Lightroom, but as for lighting, Picasa does a pretty good job too, so I'll try those two and see what I can do. smile.gif
Siam2010-07-30 21:39:38
I still draw on paper! And wow! Fellow drawing-person! wub.gif
Aubrey2010-07-31 15:05:19
QUOTE (thisismydisplayname @ Jul 30 2010, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still draw on paper! And wow! Fellow drawing-person! wub.gif

cheer.gif Thought I was the only one! wub.gif
Unknown2010-07-31 16:50:13
QUOTE (Aubrey @ Jul 31 2010, 11:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cheer.gif Thought I was the only one! wub.gif

Hey! I draw on paper sometimes! tongue.gif Just usually not, because I don't have the money for supplies or a lot of space to even draw on. Computer's just way more convenient for me.
Tanwen2010-07-31 18:52:40
You might have already tried this, but no one has brought it up, so I figured I might as well suggest it: have you tried adjust the levels and contrast with a graphics program like Photoshop? That usually does the trick for me.