Ninjakari combat

by Unknown

Back to Combat Guide.

Unknown2010-07-18 01:25:21
So I'm settled in from a vacation I took and have begun to work on my system again. What's my goal as a ninjakari, though? Some basic testing suggests that if I use the speed modifier, even my tae'dae should be able to get the chain-based grapple and yanks off on a non-acrobat, so I can probably do combat-related things somewhat normally as a tae'dae ninja. The question then is just what those things are!

Going over the skillset, the following strategies jump out at me:
1. Use psymet life drain + vomiting and ruptured stomach for a starvation attack.
I don't know exactly how psymet lifedrain works, though, and thus how feasible this one would be.

2. Use crushed chest etc. to drain endurance.
Such things tend to, at best, make people run away in my experience, but it's still on the table.

3. Go for bleeding.
From what I've heard, this one isn't all that effective, but might work better if combined with some of the other approaches.

4. Get severed tendons, then go for head unconsciousness, and try to get the instant-kill.

5. Crushed windpipe stuff.
Might work out decently if beast spit was thrown in, though still not as good as the slit throat locks of course.

So, any advice? Any good strategies that go with the arms that I'm missing, and what should I know and attempt in general?
Janalon2010-07-18 02:05:15
I was a ninjakari pre-momentum change. . . so that's to say I have no idea what options are available to the modern ninja. Speak to your envoy, champ, and even security for that matter. They should have sound ideas.

For starters, I might figure out a basic grapple sequence for 1mo straight on up to 5mo. If you can't get to that end goal, at least you can hinder your opponent (especially healing) for group combat. Then again, I am a non-combatant, so take that advice for what it is worth.

On a side note, I believe lifedrain "siphons" health AND randomly heals 75 wounds on one random limb per attack, up to three attacks per round, both armed and unarmed actions. Somewhat nice for keeping up with warrior wounding. Can also be used in conjunction with forced symmetry (split damage between extremities). From what I've heard, these two abilities can confuse many systems, so you will need to check your own wounds now and again.
Unknown2010-07-18 03:32:18
Aha, I was wondering if it was something like that or something else. Since lifedrain said it drains "sustenance" I thought that maybe it was a thing to make people hungry/undo your own hunger, but I guess not!

Any idea if it works while bashing, out of curiosity?
Shaddus2010-07-18 03:34:17
No, it doesn't work for bashing.

I personally liked tendon/constrict head, think I killed Viynain like that once.
Malarious2010-07-18 07:02:20
QUOTE (Jello @ Jul 17 2010, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So I'm settled in from a vacation I took and have begun to work on my system again. What's my goal as a ninjakari, though? Some basic testing suggests that if I use the speed modifier, even my tae'dae should be able to get the chain-based grapple and yanks off on a non-acrobat, so I can probably do combat-related things somewhat normally as a tae'dae ninja. The question then is just what those things are!
Test this theory, I am not sure if you can pull off the grapple ender at this time (we have plans). As it is a minor delay can cause me to fail without the balance penalty.

Going over the skillset, the following strategies jump out at me:
1. Use psymet life drain + vomiting and ruptured stomach for a starvation attack.
I don't know exactly how psymet lifedrain works, though, and thus how feasible this one would be.
What was already said. Life drain has nothing to do with hunger.

2. Use crushed chest etc. to drain endurance.
Such things tend to, at best, make people run away in my experience, but it's still on the table.
Its.... questionable.. theory is we can do it but its slow work really. We usually ignore this.

3. Go for bleeding.
From what I've heard, this one isn't all that effective, but might work better if combined with some of the other approaches.
It is largely untested and underdeveloped is all. Lacerations tic for bleeding, per laceration. If you work on an herb stack you can usually get some bleeding to build up, ninshi yanks do bleeding, and of course you have rupture stomach I believe it is as well as opengut (illgathoru) to do bleeding... on top of ochai as always.

4. Get severed tendons, then go for head unconsciousness, and try to get the instant-kill.
Tendon is optional.. if you are just worried about passing parry/stance you can always make a jakati modified version. These do assume you can get your yank off, but remember the venom for a constrict yank is masked due to blackout.. so you can make some interesting set ups that way. PS not sure if the AB notes it but constrict costs mo.

5. Crushed windpipe stuff.
Might work out decently if beast spit was thrown in, though still not as good as the slit throat locks of course.
Monks with slitthroat tend to need new balancing. Nekotai cannot do a full hardlock without heavy power use. Shofangi on the other hand can do them fairly easily and very reliably but have been asked to change that (they are altering crunch I think right now, not sure why). The lock is very unlikely though, something like 1 in 18 will lock. But that had error margin in it for chance to miss hits as well I believe.

So, any advice? Any good strategies that go with the arms that I'm missing, and what should I know and attempt in general?
Locks are your friend. However, you can mangle arms and legs, legs are often defended because they stop offense and such. You could easily mangle an arm I think though. Twisted limbs will offer you some options in damage if utilized with mangles (cant cure a twisted limb while its mangle). You may want to try damage focus's in various ways as well since you have high strength. Specifics you can look into or ask me about later.

PS as a psymet you have extra access to damage potential, which is always nice.