How does the views of each city/commune differ?

by Unknown

Back to Chronicles of the Basin.

Unknown2010-07-10 23:06:37
I noticed that Lusternia is much different then all the other IRE. Most IRE games are like this City A and B are good which makes them allies City C and D are evil and that makes them allies, City E is neutral and does what it wants. City F is not a city but a forestral community and they hate all the city but usually side with the good. which is boring and not so well thought out in my opinion.

Lusternia is much different then that and I wish to look more into the views of each city/commune.
Noola2010-07-10 23:11:59
Here's the thing, none of our cities/communes are evil and none of them are good.

The member of each city/commune believes they are good and everyone else is, if not evil, then just wrong or inferior. And, from their POV, they are absolutely right.
Unknown2010-07-10 23:14:23
QUOTE (Noola @ Jul 10 2010, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's the thing, none of our cities/communes are evil and none of them are good.

The member of each city/commune believes they are good and everyone else is, if not evil, then just wrong or inferior. And, from their POV, they are absolutely right.

yeah I got that. I was looking more into their views of life. How they believe one should live? as well as their culture. How they treat their citizens and how they treat others.
Sylphas2010-07-10 23:36:39
Serenwilde got hit with a lot of the forestal crap early on. Traditionally we're about personal freedoms and being chill, hating the cities and hating the Taint.

We're not as physically snuggly as people seem to like to think, but actually punishing anyone for being a moron is difficult with the history of "do what you want, yay!"
Shamarah2010-07-10 23:40:49
Saying that none of our cities and communes are evil is a bit disingenuous. From an objective OOC standpoint, the Taint is quite clearly a bad thing. I think Magnagora's desire to spread it, as well as their fondness for torture, manipulation, etc is enough to classify them as evil.

There's a bit more truth to the statement that none of them are good, though. Celest is really only good inasmuch as they oppose the spread of the Taint.
Noola2010-07-10 23:46:11
QUOTE (Shamarah @ Jul 10 2010, 06:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Saying that none of our cities and communes are evil is a bit disingenuous. From an objective OOC standpoint, the Taint is quite clearly a bad thing. I think Magnagora's desire to spread it, as well as their fondness for torture, manipulation, etc is enough to classify them as evil.

There's a bit more truth to the statement that none of them are good, though. Celest is really only good inasmuch as they oppose the spread of the Taint.

I was assuming he was asking from an IG stand point.
Unknown2010-07-10 23:46:52
It would have awesome if the Supernals were ugly, since they're supposed to be half-formed, and the Taint had made the Shallamar Lords all pretty and "complete".
Unknown2010-07-10 23:47:53
QUOTE (Noola @ Jul 10 2010, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was assuming he was asking from an IG stand point.

well both actually
Sylphas2010-07-10 23:56:29
QUOTE (Gogo @ Jul 10 2010, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It would have awesome if the Supernals were ugly, since they're supposed to be half-formed, and the Taint had made the Shallamar Lords all pretty and "complete".

This. It would have really screwed with the "Oh we're OBVIOUSLY good, look at us!" crowd.
Nocht2010-07-11 00:14:10
It's hard to condense all the different viewpoints and beliefs of an org. If you read the history section about the Holy Celestian Empire you can get an idea of the background for each city/commune.

Each org, with the exception of Gaudiguch and Hallifax, base their beliefs around the cosmic being or nature spirits connected to their city. For example, Glomdoring is tied to the Night and Crow spirit, and Glomdoring's traits mimic those of the two spirits such as Night's subtlety or Crow's craftiness.

I'm over simplifying it. One of the best ways to find out what each is about is to jump right in, of course!
Unknown2010-07-11 00:24:02
QUOTE (arnold @ Jul 10 2010, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I noticed that Lusternia is much different then all the other IRE. Most IRE games are like this City A and B are good which makes them allies City C and D are evil and that makes them allies, City E is neutral and does what it wants. City F is not a city but a forestral community and they hate all the city but usually side with the good. which is boring and not so well thought out in my opinion.

Lusternia is much different then that and I wish to look more into the views of each city/commune.

Conflict and alliances in Lusternia, as other posters have noted, does not really fall neatly under Good - Neutral - Evil axes. Most orgs are not so much committed to abstract principles per se.

In very large, oversimplified brush strokes, factors like how an org views the Taint, whether or not they are expansionistic, how they feel about cities versus an all-natural environment... those are things that tend to shape an org's view and role in the world. It can make for a wide variety of conflict and alliances for all kinds of shifting reasons, which in my opinion is way more interesting, organic, and "realistic" than the Red team vs. the Blue team.
Unknown2010-07-11 01:12:50
QUOTE (Nocht @ Jul 10 2010, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's hard to condense all the different viewpoints and beliefs of an org. If you read the history section about the Holy Celestian Empire you can get an idea of the background for each city/commune.

Each org, with the exception of Gaudiguch and Hallifax, base their beliefs around the cosmic being or nature spirits connected to their city. For example, Glomdoring is tied to the Night and Crow spirit, and Glomdoring's traits mimic those of the two spirits such as Night's subtlety or Crow's craftiness.

I'm over simplifying it. One of the best ways to find out what each is about is to jump right in, of course!

Ill make sure to try that(on alts of course). Maybe that is the best way to see the views of each one.
Arel2010-07-11 01:53:22
http://lusternia.com/celestine.php?inc=celestineproposal

Like Nocht said, that will be a good read, both to understand Lusternia and to get a feel for the cities and communes. Reading the HELP and HELP brief intro files for each city and guild will give you an idea of how each city works.
Felicia2010-07-11 02:05:18
Speaking only for myself here (and painting with a very broad brush):

I'd say that Magnagora and the Glomdoring do live up to their reputation of being evil, or at least "the most" evil. Murder, torture, sacrifice, deceit, corruption, betrayal, demon-worship, moral bankruptcy, the spread of blight, and other exciting heinous activities are openly accepted, even rewarded in some cases. Of course, not all of the players behave this way (particularly amongst their own comrades); there are cheerful, helpful people even in Magnagora and the Glomdoring.

New Celest and the Serenwilde have their moments as far as evil is concerned, but although they do commit evil acts, it's more subtle, less widespread, less severe overall, and socially frowned upon rather than openly accepted. I'm sure both organizations are willing to commit atrocities to meet their goals, but they don't embrace evil as a way of life. There is a higher quotient of "cheerful," "friendly" players in these organizations, too. (Magnagora and Glomdoring have a higher quotient of people whose RP is severe, somber, serious, etc.)

I actually do see Gaudiguch and Hallifax as being the "neutral" organizations. Neither city strives to be particularly "good" or "holy," nor do they give themselves over to evil acts with complete abandon in pursuit of their goals. I know less about Gaudiguch than any other organization, though, so I could be a bit off there.

In summary: Serenwilde and New Celest lean toward goodness, Magnagora and Glomdoring lean toward evil, and Hallifax and Gaudiguch fall somewhere in between.
ongaku2010-07-11 02:17:17
QUOTE (Felicia @ Jul 10 2010, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... there are cheerful, helpful people even in Magnagora and the Glomdoring.

Yo.

Part of what I love about Lusternia is that the alliances are ever changing and aren't set in stone (though my character loves things being set in stone, being a Geomancer and all happy.gif ). A pure commune is currently allied with the city of Taint and the city of Chaos, where the Tainted commune is allied with the city of purity and Light and the city of Order. (And yes, I know people are going to gripe at me for calling Glomdoring tainted. I don't want to hear it. tongue.gif ) Heck, the communes with opposing ideals to one another once allied against the two cities (before Hallifax and Gaudiguch came back). That was fun, trying to get Raziela to hear the truth of the Taint. biggrin.gif
Unknown2010-07-11 02:44:40
I take it Glomdoring denies they are effected by the taint then?

I always saw Glomdoring as a Dark Commune rather than as an Evil Commune(IMO I think dark and evil is completely different things)
Arel2010-07-11 03:11:00
Its sort of a bit different for Hallifax and Gaudiguch due to how recently they were released. They don't have quite the history of events that the other cities and communes have, so the views of the cities aren't quite as clear and defined as some of the other organizations.

I don't know about Gaudi, but from my experience with Hallifax, the city values Art and Science, which is pretty obviously by its caste system and the general layout of the city with the art galleries and scientific areas in the Upper Wards. Hallifax has indentured servants within the city and also has abducted and tortured entities. Its "evil" in that way, but also believes that what it is doing is advancing mortalkind and bringing into a new age of scientific and artistic beauty and everything is done "for the greater good".

In answer to your question: Glom denied being tainted for a very long time (some characters RP'd that they could not even see any Taint). There was an event awhile back where the Taint got transformed into the Wyrd. I think Glom's official position is that Wyrd is not Taint, but Mag's position is that the forest is still Tainted.
Everiine2010-07-11 03:11:56
There are two schools of thought on Glomdoring (with one have two subschools). The first is that the Glomdoring was tainted, followed by either a) the Wyrd overcame the Taint and eradicated it (Glomdoring is not tainted), or cool.gif The Taint evolved into the Wyrd, so although they aren't the same, Wyrd is like Taint (Glomdoring is not tainted). The second is that there is no difference between Wyrd and Taint, and Glomdoring is a Tainted Forest (Glomdoring is tainted).
Furien2010-07-11 03:12:41
QUOTE (arnold @ Jul 10 2010, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I take it Glomdoring denies they are effected by the taint then?

I always saw Glomdoring as a Dark Commune rather than as an Evil Commune(IMO I think dark and evil is completely different things)

You're pretty much on the money. Go into the Chronicles of Lore and look in the Event Logs section for Druken's lecture and some of the replies there, it explains Glomdoring well.
Xenthos2010-07-11 03:28:41
QUOTE (Everiine @ Jul 10 2010, 11:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are two schools of thought on Glomdoring (with one have two subschools). The first is that the Glomdoring was tainted, followed by either a) the Wyrd overcame the Taint and eradicated it (Glomdoring is not tainted), or cool.gif The Taint evolved into the Wyrd, so although they aren't the same, Wyrd is like Taint (Glomdoring is not tainted). The second is that there is no difference between Wyrd and Taint, and Glomdoring is a Tainted Forest (Glomdoring is tainted).

You're missing one.

The Glomdoring was never Tainted. (While obviously false on an OOC level, it's still a valid belief IC! And I find it to be more fun.)