Book critique

by Shedrin

Back to Event Scrolls.

Shedrin2010-07-10 07:27:21
Under much persuasion by a certain person... I present this log.

Background: I gathered a group of Aeormancers and had them read the book "On Collectivism" by Llesvelt Shavatt and told them to come to my office as a group after they had read it and be prepared to answer questions.

Nock arrives following Zephyr Kio Peulus.
A thunderclap amidst lightning announces the entrance of a young thunderbird from the southwest.

Kio bows respectfully to you.

With a flourish of his arm, Kazban bows deeply.

You say, "Greetings, Aeromages."

Chamber of the Archmage of Aeromancy.
Banks of clouds roil about here. Several large crystal statues of past Aeromancer Archmages line the walls of this impressive office, giving off the impression that those who set foot in here are always carefully watched. The large clear windows which line the far wall of this office provide a truly breathtaking view over the city of Hallifax, showing the many spires and tiers that stretch beneath. A thick carpet covers the crystal floor, bearing many symbols related to aeromancy and the power invested in the Archmage by the Assembly of Aeromancers. A sigil in the shape of a small, rectangular monolith is on the ground. Surrounded by lightning, a young thunderbird spreads her wings here. Zephyr Kio Peulus is here, shrouded. He wields a delicate crystal staff in his left hand and a graceful phoenix shield in his right. Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms is here, shrouded. He wields a delicate crystal staff in his left hand and a tower shield of the Matrix in his right. Zephyr Nock is here.
You see a single exit leading southwest (open door).

Zephyr Nock says, "Greetings, Archmage."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "Greetings, Archmage Shedrin."

Kazban smiles softly.

You say, "Okay."

You say, "So then."

You say, "Hmm."

You say, "The first thing you shall do is fairly simple."

You say, "As a group, come up with two things that is wrong with the book."

The grey cover of this booklet is made of heavy-weight paper which has
been embossed with a delicate texture resembling ripples of water. The
pages have been left with a very slight tooth allowing for the quick
absorption of ink or the ease of use of dry writing media such as
graphite.
It is entitled "On Collectivism" and the author is listed as being Llesvelt. This copied book belongs to the Library of Universal Knowledge and must be returned in about 4 Lusternian days and the editor as Nihmriel. It is written in the common tongue. It is sealed and cannot be copied or translated.
It weighs 5 ounce(s).

Kazban nods his head emphatically.

You say, "Okay."

You say, "Whenever you're ready."

Zephyr Nock says, "Archmage, the first thing we found wrong with the book was it's forcefulness."

You say, "How so?"

Zephyr Nock says, "It seemed too much like propoganda. We agreed collectivism needs to be a group effort, not forced."

Zephyr Nock says, "The book seems to be forced."

You say, "I see."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "There is lots of repitition in the idealism of Collectivism....it may mean to be rhetoric."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "However."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "It comes of more as propoganda."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "Off rather."

Kio nods his head at Kazban.

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "Collectivism is something embraced by a group of like minded individuals working towards a greater purpose."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "A cooperation."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "Sometimes it seems like there is only one option in the writing."

Zephyr Kio Peulus says, "Along these lines, we'd like to suggest the book seems a bit niche-oriented."

You say, "So you would suggest more accordance with other ideas?"

The sound of quiet, muffled conversation drifts through the air.

Zephyr Kio Peulus says, "To Instead of being purely informative, it seems to be slightly enforsive. What we mean by this is that while we already see how Collectivism is an ideal..."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "I would say Collectivism covers a fairly broad spectrum....where this more speaks of the "truths" of collectivism which are denying individualism for the Collective."

Zephyr Kio Peulus says, "...someone who already views it in a negative light, might only develop a more negative reaction."

Kazban nods his head at Kio.

Zephyr Kio Peulus says to Kazban, "My apologies!"

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "Oh no mine."

Zephyr Nock says, "Perhaps, the book should point out some things that people might see as wrong with collectivism, and explain why they're not."

Kio nods his head at Nock.

Zephyr Nock says, "Then it might not seem so forced."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "Validate the untruths with the ideals."

You say, "And what are these things that people might see as wrong?"

Zephyr Kio Peulus says, "Some might

You tilt your head and listen intently.

Zephyr Kio Peulus says to you, "Please excuse me, Archmage. I'll return in but a moment!"

You nod your head emphatically.

Kio leaves to the southwest.
Spreading her wings, a young thunderbird soars off to the southwest.

You say, "Do one of you think you can elaborate on his statement?"

Zephyr Nock says, "Also, the collective needs to have fully functional members. If one member, or even a few, don't participate, the whole collective could fall apart."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "Under the informal example it lists Subject A and Subject B and both subjects requiring Subject A and B to perform at their highest capacity, and the rational choices being seeking out the collective in effort to share the resources and sharing the resources. Well should one of the subjects slip up it says no where that the others of the collective cant pick up some slack should there be underlying circumstances."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "Lets

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "Or another fill in."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "Its an ebb and flow."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "Not a constant thrum."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "There is never a definate constant."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "But we as a collective can hold our individual self to a higher standard to perform better FOR the collective."

Kio arrives from the southwest.
A thunderclap amidst lightning announces the entrance of a young thunderbird from the southwest.

Kio gives a bacon omelette sandwich to Zephyr Nock.

Kio nods his head emphatically.

Kazban flashes Kio a joyous smile.

Nock consumes a bacon omelette sandwich leisurely, seeming to enjoy every bite.

Nock quickly devours a bacon omelette sandwich.

Nock consumes a bacon omelette sandwich leisurely, seeming to enjoy every bite.

You say, "So then, if I were to leave Hallifax tomorrow and join Magnagora, what would happen."

You say, "How would the Collective react?"

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "Someone would replace you and perform at a standard befitting for the Collective, it would be a harsh blow, but we would endure."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "I would hate to see that happen."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "But time goes on and things do change."

You say, "So the individual is replaceable."

Zephyr Nock says, "Most of the time."

You say, "But not all of the time?"

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "The person is replaceable not the individual."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "Someone would not be YOU."

You say, "So they would inevitably be different."

Zephyr Kio Peulus says, "There is no individual in this ordeal, Archmage."

Kazban sticks his tongue out and says 'Ack.'

Kazban coughs softly.

Zephyr Kio Peulus says, "A portion of the Collective has been lost, and therefore must be bandaged."

Zephyr Kio Peulus says, "The Collective would replace what was lost, much like your flesh heals after a wound."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "We must carry on and heal."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "Although wounded we are not dead."

You say, "So the task is to find the correct curative."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "I put my answer in very general terms."

You say, "The Collective acts as a single organism."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "We obviously would not make a Sentinel the Archmage though."

You say, "Would you make a leg into an arm?"

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "You could, but I guarantee that wouldnt work well."

"Heh heh heh" Kazban chuckles.

You say, "Indeed."

You say, "We do not practice Trasmology here."

Kio's eyes sparkle with amusement.

Zephyr Kio Peulus says, "True, but..."

You say, "Tell me, though."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "The writing however states...this is the function...this is what is done."

You say, "Why do we not practice Transmology?"

Zephyr Kio Peulus says, "It is chaotic and unpredictable."

Zephyr Kio Peulus says, "It is the absence of thought for the will of luck."

Zephyr Nock says, "Because we are aeromancers."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "What we do as the collective is scientific and precise."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "We endure because we calculate and plan."

You say, "Because it is risky, eh."

Kio puts his hands on his hips and goes "Hmmm!"

You say, "Our society cannot withstand too much uncertainty?"

Zephyr Kio Peulus says, "Risky isn't quite the right term."

You say, "Not controlled enough?"

Zephyr Kio Peulus's hair is caught by a slight breeze as he loses himself in thought.

Zephyr Nock says, "Looking at it from the collective standpoint, if we aeromancers were going to practice transmology, who would study aeromancy?"

You say, "Why is Aeromancy valued over Transmology?"

Zephyr Nock says, "It is not necessarily."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "How does transmology benefit the collective."

Zephyr Nock says, "We just need both, to function."

You say, "So it is arbitrary that we chose Aeromancy?"

You say, "I see."

Zephyr Kio Peulus says, "It is arbitrary for someone to understand aeronautic engineering, yes."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "Our power as Aeromancers is bestowed by the Matrix we have collected and worked to learn the ways of Aeromancy and have it benefit the collective."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "Should we decide to entertain the Idea of Transmology we would naught know what it might do to harm or benefit the collective."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "Its not something the Collective has chosen to embrace."

Zephyr Nock says, "It would upset the balance."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "It would be like making beautiful glasswork."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "And then throwing a brick at it."

Zephyr Nock says, "It's like the book said, only a little modified."

Kio nods his head emphatically.

Zephyr Nock says, "Aeromancers provide resource A. Transmology is B. Sentinels are C."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "We are not however giving up our individual choices."

Zephyr Nock says, "Without one, the others cannot exist whole in the collective."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "Should we choose another path the collective is not telling us we cant."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "Its just a wound."

You ponder the situation.

You say, "Work on refining your arguments on that a bit."

You nod your head sagely.

A wry smile spreads across your face.

You say, "But next topic."

Kazban's mouth turns up as his face breaks into a smile.

You say, "What is the second thing wrong with the book?"

A series of chiming notes, distinctly crystalline, ring out in the distance in a slow, descending scale.

You hum a happy tune.

Kazban nods his head at Kio.

"Ok!" Kio exclaims.

Zephyr Kio Peulus says, "We find the part of the Director could use a large elaboration."

You tilt your head and listen intently.

Zephyr Kio Peulus says, "Instead of being an argument of Sovereignty, as we have understood it to be, it easily comes off as Tyranny."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "It tends to contradict itself a little, at first he is the full ruler in which we bow to his whim, and then he is the enforcer, and then he is part of the collective."

The sound of buffeting wings is briefly audible.

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "He is the voice of the collective maybe politically and diplomatically...a ruler, a decision maker, obviously important."

Zephyr Kio Peulus says, "But, does the Minister imply that he is also the vision of Justice?"

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "But the third paragraph under Authority lists him as Tyrannical."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "And then ends it with but hes just part of the collective."

You say, "And what would you suggest the Collectivist Director is like?"

Zephyr Kio Peulus says, "The Director must be able to do all the things the Minister suggests: Act with authority, but without ego. Bow to the Collective, but speak for the Collective. However, he must also be the vision of Justice, acting the part of Justiciar to keep the Collective from crumbling under the weight of inevitable volitity."

Zephyr Kio Peulus says, "While a perfect collective may not have this problem, such a vision is only capable in theory, do to the inclusion of mortal will."

Kio nods his head at Nock.

Solemn, staid voices can be heard from somewhere outdoors, rising and falling in emotionless, precise monotone.

Zephyr Nock says, "The Director role is incredibly fragile."

Zephyr Nock says, "The Director must perfectly and evenly represent the collective so as not to be biased."

You say, "A more fundamental question."

You say, "Is such a Director truly necessary?"

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "A leader of a collective should be a facilitator of ideas and suggestions, and integrator of thoughts. One working towards the benefit of the collective. Although there may be times when his choices may be in disagreeance with members of the collective they also must be ensured to be beneficial. I think that such a role is necessary and a person should be appointed to represent all facets of the collective without bias."

Zephyr Nock says, "My personal opinion."

Zephyr Nock says, "Is that instead of a Director, there should be multiple Directors."

A wry smile spreads across your face.

You say, "Perhaps a Board of Directors?"

Zephyr Nock says, "A kind of oligarchy, only with the same principles as the director."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "You think in our instance something like a Triumvirate."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "To where they all hold equality of power and represent their facet of the collective."

Nock nods his head at Kazban, showing his acceptance.

Zephyr Nock says, "Exactly."

Zephyr Kio Peulus's eyes sparkle with amusement as a slight, swirling breeze rustles his hair.

Zephyr Nock says, "That way, one bit of biasedness can be ruled out by the other Directors."

You say, "I think you will then be pleased at the state of the Board as it is now."

You say, "All members of the Board have equal vote, and though the Mayor is the "leader", he has little other power."

You say, "Officially."

You say, "Unoficially he does initiate things and such."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "And the way the writing states...its essentially the "Mayor" is supreme ruler."

You say, "With our vote, of course."

You say, "You may also be interested in knowing."

You say, "You can speak to the Collective."

You say, "An actual embodiment of the past minds of Hallifax."

Kazban stares into his cupped hands.

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "Fantastic."

You say, "Well you can't yet, you don't have the authority."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "But obviously helpful to gather information of the collectives past."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "And help benefit the future."

You say, "The former Chairman, Cririk Adom is now a part of that Collective."

You say, "Final question."

You say, "Why did I ask what criticisms you had of the book, as opposed to what criticisms you had of Collectivism?"

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "The book is up for Prestige."

You say, "And that is the only factor?"

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "And clearly its a perception given by the author."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "Which is up for discussion by anyone reading."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "And will be picked apart."

Kio swings his arm up and high fives Kazban enthusiastically.

You say, "And what would happen if I had asked you to criticize Collectivism?"

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "I would need to find an unbiased source to define collectivism."

Zephyr Nock says, "I think we pretty much still did that."

You say, "Where would such a source be found?"

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "We would have three different perceptions as well."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "This is a direct resource."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "You had us all read."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "Therefore we all have relative feedback."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "We would need to find other sources should you have asked us otherwise."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "All of specific perceptions."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "Based on the reading."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "And likely would have debated each other on answers more."

You say, "Final task."

You say, "Write me a letter of your subjective impressions of your peers in this endeavour, and how well your group cooperated."

You nod your head sagely.

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "When would you like this by, Archmage."

You say, "And any other comments."

You say, "Hmm."

You say, "Preferably within a day."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "I will mail it to you."

Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "Is that ok."

You say, "Indeed."

Kazban stares into his cupped hands.

You say, "You are all dismissed."

Kazban bows respectfully to you.

You say, "Fair winds and clear thoughts."
Shedrin2010-07-10 07:44:46
And for reference, the book:

CODE
"On Collectivism", By Llesvelt (Page 1)
0                        Index                         0
000 0000000000000000000000( 1 )00000000000000000000000 000
0                                                      0

1,1  - p.1  - Index
1,2  - p.2  - Foreword
1,3  - p.3  - Collectivism, Definition
1,4  - p.4  - Symbiosis, Collectivist Economics
1,5  - p.5  - Survival
1,6  - p.6  - Collectivist Authority
1,7  - p.7  - The Collectivist

000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000

"On Collectivism", By Llesvelt (Page 2)
0                       Foreword                       0
000 0000000000000000000000( 2 )00000000000000000000000 000

1,1  - Fair winds. Thank you for perusing this booklet.
1,2  - It is my sincerest hope that you will find its
1,3  - contents to be stimulating of constructive
1,4  - questions and thoughts. I invite you, the
1,5  - reader, to share these thoughts and questions
1,6  - with others and through this develop and nurture
1,7  - your own understanding of them.
1,8  -
1,9  - This booklet attempts to quantify and explain
1,10 - Collectivism and the rewards it brings the
1,11 - Collectivist group. For more on the subject seek
1,12 - out "The Collectivist Manifesto" by Chairman
1,13 - Cririk Adom as well as works relating in the
1,14 - Library of Universal Knowledge within Hallifax.
1,15 - For more by the same author, seek out "On
1,16 - Perfection", found likewise within the Library.

4010h, 4860m, 3675e, 10p, 17600en, 22400w esSix- <44160.075>

read booklet page 3
"On Collectivism", By Llesvelt (Page 3)
0               Collectivism, Definition               0
000 0000000000000000000000( 3 )00000000000000000000000 000

1,1  - Collectivism, noun, a political or economic
1,2  - system advocating collective control especially
1,3  - over production and distribution; also: a
1,4  - system marked by such control.
1,5  -
1,6  - Collectivism, noun, emphasis on collective
1,7  - rather than individual action or identity.
1,8  -
1,9  - At its heart, Collectivism is therefore a
1,10 - system which prioritizes the collective before
1,11 - the individual. A system where the 'Self'
1,12 - of 'Me' makes way for the "Self" of 'Us'.
1,13 - To a Collectivist, the individual holds less
1,14 - importance than the group.
1,15 -
1,16 - Adopting a Collectivist mindset and leaving
1,17 - behind the egoistic urgings of the 'Me' is
1,18 - a task which requires quite some discipline
1,19 - on behalf of the Collectivist-to-be. Many
1,20 - have found their ability to do this rather
1,21 - lacking, as a result, quite a few individuals
1,22 - in the Basin claim to be Collectivists
1,23 - without actually acting in accordance with
1,24 - the Collectivist ideal.
1,25 -
1,26 - In the Basin, no place has this system been
1,27 - attempted to such a degree as it has in the
1,28 - Collective of Hallifax. To many individuals
1,29 - within the Basin, the words "Collective" and
1,30 - "Collectivism" are linked intrinsically to
1,31 - Hallifax and through Hallifax, the Matrix.
1,32 - Another important note to make while defining
1,33 - the term.

"On Collectivism", By Llesvelt (Page 4)
0           Symbiosis, Collectivist Economics          0
000 0000000000000000000000( 4 )00000000000000000000000 000

1,1  - 'Symbiosis' holds two definitions.
1,2  -
1,3  - The first places it as a biological term, defined
1,4  - as 'A close, prolonged association between two
1,5  - or more different organisms that may but does not
1,6  - necessarily, benefit each member.
1,7  -
1,8  - It is the second definition that is important in
1,9  - this case, though. 'Symbiosis, noun, plural, a
1,10 - relationship of mutual benefit or dependence.'
1,11 -
1,12 - In many situations of our daily lives in the
1,13 - Basin do we observe this rather simple
1,14 - phenomena. It is a basic means of thriving
1,15 - amongst all mortal races to co-operate.
1,16 - From the simplest insects to the magnificent
1,17 - complexity of the fated races, the common pulse
1,18 - of collective work towards the betterment of
1,19 - all involved is our constant companion.
1,20 -
1,21 - The idea is deceptively simple and yet so
1,22 - brilliant in its simplicity, if two individual
1,23 - organisms are capable of two vastly different
1,24 - tasks which they both require to survive
1,25 - and prosper, working together so that both
1,26 - may prosper is the rational choice.
1,27 -
1,28 - An informal example. Subject A is capable of
1,29 - producing Resource A. Subject B is likewise
1,30 - capable of producing Resource B. Both subjects
1,31 - require subject A and B to function at their
1,32 - highest capacity. The rational choice in this
1,33 - matter is for the involved to seek out collective
1,34 - effort in producing and sharing the resources.
1,35 -
1,36 - At its heart, a Collectivist economical system
1,37 - works in much the same way. The involved produce
1,38 - what they are capable of producing and consume
1,39 - what they need consume to function at the required
1,40 - capacity. This is both fair and rational.

"On Collectivism", By Llesvelt (Page 5)
0                       Survival                       0
000 0000000000000000000000( 5 )00000000000000000000000 000

1,1  - While more jaded and cynical individuals would
1,2  - assert that it is the inevitable truth that
1,3  - all organisms strive for self-preservation
1,4  - before anything else, these same individuals
1,5  - tend to be rather short-sighted on just how
1,6  - this inherent self-preserving instinct affects
1,7  - the aforementioned organism. While it is true
1,8  - that most organisms pursue self-preservation,
1,9  - it is also true that this inherent self-
1,10 - preservation behooves the organism to seek
1,11 - defence of its own 'group' so to say, that the
1,12 - specie, race or organization survives is of
1,13 - greater importance to the inherent self-preserving
1,14 - instinct of the organism than the preservation of
1,15 - its own physical and mental health.
1,16 -
1,17 - A thought experiment:
1,18 -
1,19 - There are two groups. One is made up of egoists
1,20 - who would rather run and let the group be killed
1,21 - than risk their own self-preservation. Another
1,22 - group attacks, one member survives, the other nine
1,23 - are killed.
1,24 -
1,25 - The other is made up of individuals who would put
1,26 - aside their own self-preservation to allow the
1,27 - group enough time to escape, knowing that the group
1,28 - and its ideals (or its specie for more base forms
1,29 - of life) will survive as a whole. Another group
1,30 - attacks, one member dies, the other nine survive.
1,31 -
1,32 - It is a simple equation, the best chance to survive
1,33 - for the individual is to have a strong group to
1,34 - support it, to have a strong group, sacrifices
1,35 - must be made. In many ways, it is not the strongest
1,36 - or quickest of species that survive, but those
1,37 - who put the specie before the individual member.
1,38 - In this, Collectivism has a simple, rational
1,39 - logic which is grounded entirely in natural
1,40 - selection of the most efficient system of survival.

"On Collectivism", By Llesvelt (Page 6)
0               Collectivist Authority                 0
000 0000000000000000000000( 6 )00000000000000000000000 000

1,1  - A Collective, a group, needs a Collective goal.
1,2  - A goal, a direction, needs a director. The
1,3  - Collectivist Director is first and foremost
1,4  - a servant of the Collective.
1,5  -
1,6  - In instating a Collectivist Director, the
1,7  - Collective hands over its full capacity of
1,8  - creation and destruction unto the hands of
1,9  - a part of the Collective. This is a valid
1,10 - and rational course of action for a number
1,11 - of reasons, not the least that proper and
1,12 - clear direction comes most easily from a
1,13 - single source, not many.
1,14 -
1,15 - In this, the director becomes the mind of
1,16 - the Collective. All must bow to their word,
1,17 - for they become the representative of the
1,18 - Collective as a whole. In bowing to the
1,19 - director's word, the Collectivist bows not
1,20 - to an individual, but to the Collective.
1,21 -
1,22 - Naturally, a great deal of caution is to
1,23 - be had when instating such a director. It
1,24 - is of the utmost importance that the
1,25 - director is free from the chains of an
1,26 - overinflated ego which may cause disruptive
1,27 - emotions running rampant within the
1,28 - Collective as a whole. The director must be
1,29 - the First amongst Equals, for they are the
1,30 - guiding force of the Collective.

4010h, 4860m, 3675e, 10p, 17600en, 22400w esSix- <44165.479>

read booklet page 7
"On Collectivism", By Llesvelt (Page 7)
0                   The Collectivist                   0
000 0000000000000000000000( 7 )00000000000000000000000 000

1,1  - Ideals are a controversial matter, owning to the
1,2  - state of being an individual with individual
1,3  - thoughts and preferences, we are accustomed to
1,4  - be 'Me' rather than 'Us'. This, naturally,
1,5  - makes vying for a single and unifying goal an
1,6  - impossible task. To achieve the Collectivist
1,7  - Ideal, the Individual Ideal must be non-existent.
1,8  -
1,9  - When the Collectivist is ready to give up his or
1,10 - her own individual dreams, preferences,
1,11 - preconceptions, desires and emotions, they are
1,12 - ready to step out of the 'Me' and into the 'us'.
1,13 - The Collectivist must understand and acknowledge
1,14 - that the Collective, the group, is everything,
1,15 - while they are simply a part of the group. The
1,16 - whole is more than the sum of its parts.
1,11 -
1,18 - While some would claim that this is not in the
1,19 - interest of the individual, the Collectivist
1,20 - understands the truth of the matter. Through
1,21 - oneness, harmony, the quality of being one
1,22 - rather than many, one maintains a state of
1,23 - efficiency and calm unseen amongst individuals
1,24 - and owing its existence solely to the absence
1,25 - of disruptive egoist thoughts and deeds.
1,26 -
1,27 - Concluding this booklet, the rational mind
1,28 - will gravitate naturally towards Collectivism,
1,29 - understanding that Collectivism is the noblest
1,30 - of all ideologies, spurning the barbaric cults
1,31 - of the ego to create a truly equal, meritocratic
1,32 - and enlightened society through co-operation.

Spoiler tags would be nice...
Noola2010-07-10 07:48:22
If you're serious about wanting spoiler tags, there are some. It's stuff . Just remove the space in the brackets.
Shedrin2010-07-10 07:50:21
QUOTE (Noola @ Jul 10 2010, 02:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you're serious about wanting spoiler tags, there are some. It's stuff . Just remove the space in the brackets.

Oh. Well after testing, that's not quite what I want. I want the kind that will hide the text until you click a button to reveal it.
Llesvelt2010-07-10 08:26:16
Sky Runner Kazban, Apprentice of Storms says, "It comes of more as propoganda."

This is actually really funny, because I thought it was pretty much propaganda myself tongue.gif
Unknown2010-07-10 10:12:54
This reminds me of my main gripe: I don't like how some people seem determined to turn Hallifax into an egalitarian snuggle fest. I blame the fact that Hallifax superficially looks shiny/pretty, so it's attracted a fair number of Celestians/Seren, who moved their characters over.

Honestly, I was under the impression we're supposed to be like the Borg operating under robo-Stalin. Decrying the spread of propaganda or an overly authoritarian leadership seems to... well... ruin the whole point of what Hallifax is.
Llesvelt2010-07-10 10:15:38
QUOTE (Inky @ Jul 10 2010, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This reminds me of my main gripe: I don't like how some people seem determined to turn Hallifax into an egalitarian snuggle fest. I blame the fact that Hallifax superficially looks shiny/pretty, so it's attracted a fair number of Celestians/Seren, who moved their characters over.

Honestly, I was under the impression we're supposed to be like the Borg operating under robo-Stalin. Decrying the spread of propaganda or an overly authoritarian leadership seems to... well... ruin the whole point of what Hallifax is.

I see it as a mix, really. It has its bleaks and its positives. But all in all, I think it should be overly authoritarian and propaganda-ish as well.
Shedrin2010-07-10 10:25:57
QUOTE (Inky @ Jul 10 2010, 05:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heh. I actually just talked to Llesvelt ICly about making Hallifax more authoritarian.

As far as this discussion and similar, Shedrin's thoughts go something like this: Get them thinking and questioning their assumptions, and slowly lead them to the logical choice, ie strict caste system.
Kazban2010-07-10 10:31:56
Wow, lack of sleep leads to my terrible spelling... Propoganda; really :facepalm:

Funny thing was, I was having a discussion with a friend about Lusternia and about what I percieved the Hallifax government as and it reminded me of an Authoritarian rule and I was like oh the twisted things that can be done with this and got all excited, then this all happened.

I had alot of fun though speaking with you in regards to this Shedrin. Being really new to the game I hold alot of value to someone like you taking the time to bring interaction with me. Most my time is usually spent hunting...at least until I code me some proper curing.

One of the many reasons I am loving Lusternia is people taking the time to discuss ideals, values, history, and the like in game over pointless bloodshed that many times takes over the Roleplay environment.
Sakr2010-07-10 13:14:40
EDITED: don't just viciously slander other people's work effort.
EDIT: nothing to see here
Ileein2010-07-10 13:16:52
I've always been in favor of an authoritarian Hallifax, most definitely. While there's a veneer of shiny futuristic happiness there, it's a silk glove on an iron fist. ("Good morning, citizen. I do hope your labors for the Collective go well? What's that? You don't feel like working? Come with me, then, we'll get you re-educated properly.") And yes, "On Collectivism" was definitely propaganda. Nothing wrong with pointing that out... as long as you agree with it! tongue.gif
Llesvelt2010-07-10 13:18:17
Really, most of the work I do is propaganda tongue.gif
Unknown2010-07-10 15:41:54
I think it's totally possible for the citizenship to believe what we're doing is non-propaganda and fair and equal, but what's really going on behind the scenes is...

Though it'd require a good level of maturity and immersion amongst the players.
Llesvelt2010-07-10 16:01:37
The way Llesvelt sees it, he honestly thinks that a strict authoritarian Collective will be best for all citizens of Hallifax, and that it is fully acceptable to do horrible things to keep this status quo. All in all, he is a pretty big fan of dictatorship, especially if he is not the dictator. He is actually quite Hobbesian in his philosophy.

Personally, as a player, I am almost diametrically opposed. Roleplaying is great.
Arel2010-07-10 16:06:31
I think for the most part, Hallifax is pretty fair and equal. Lower caste people can still express disagreement and dissatisfaction, they just have to do it privately because you can't publicly criticize the higher castes. It also isn't like Magnagora where CR1s get called maggots and spit on (or whatever people do in Mag, I just hear it on the forums). Lower castes are expected to be respectful and deferential to the higher castes, but the higher castes also have the responsibility to respect the lower castes, because being rude based on caste is a social no-no. The only benefit to being in the higher castes (besides the mechanics of city rank) was extra credits during a sale, and people complained about that so Arte stopped offering it when he got elected.

Also, I think worrying about an oppressive regime with laws against idling at the Matrix is sort of silly. The Aeros and Institute already do have laws about idling at the Matrix and I have never seen anyone get in trouble for them. If, by some random chance, Hallifax actually put its big boy pants on and started being authoritarian, I'm sure a bunch of people would cry about it and the Board would back off because Hallifax seems to have a sector of people who are either ignorant of or disregard the RP that's been provided to the city, and some people who believe in the RP but only as much as it doesn't inconvenience them.

EDIT: Also, Shedrin, very cool! Once things settle down in the Institute I'm going to take a page out of your book!
Unknown2010-07-10 16:54:15
QUOTE (Arel @ Jul 10 2010, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think for the most part, Hallifax is pretty fair and equal. Lower caste people can still express disagreement and dissatisfaction, they just have to do it privately because you can't publicly criticize the higher castes. It also isn't like Magnagora where CR1s get called maggots and spit on (or whatever people do in Mag, I just hear it on the forums). Lower castes are expected to be respectful and deferential to the higher castes, but the higher castes also have the responsibility to respect the lower castes, because being rude based on caste is a social no-no. The only benefit to being in the higher castes (besides the mechanics of city rank) was extra credits during a sale, and people complained about that so Arte stopped offering it when he got elected.

Also, I think worrying about an oppressive regime with laws against idling at the Matrix is sort of silly. The Aeros and Institute already do have laws about idling at the Matrix and I have never seen anyone get in trouble for them. If, by some random chance, Hallifax actually put its big boy pants on and started being authoritarian, I'm sure a bunch of people would cry about it and the Board would back off because Hallifax seems to have a sector of people who are either ignorant of or disregard the RP that's been provided to the city, and some people who believe in the RP but only as much as it doesn't inconvenience them.

EDIT: Also, Shedrin, very cool! Once things settle down in the Institute I'm going to take a page out of your book!

I don't like your attitude mister. If Hallifax decided it wanted to go crazy dictatoral and people opposed it, then that would be RP too. Your interpretation =/= law.
Aeleon2010-07-10 16:56:14
Bah, I'm sorry I missed this. Though I think you also could have challenged their criticisms a bit more forcefully. As others said, to decry it as propaganda is a bit, "eh... that's a given." Would also just say that there are several types of propaganda, each with different aims; self-reinforcing, inciteful, exulting, etc. I think you should critique its worth by how effective it is at communicating its message to its target audience, which I don't think was considered in the log. Llesvelt likely had an intended reader when he was putting it together, I know I did when I was collecting all the quotes for mine.

All that said, Hallifax is full of propaganda which is part of why I love the place, my favourite example being the poster in the creche - a bunch of happy, little kids grabbing the legs of a stern-faced officer with the banner, COTM is here to Serve! To whoever built the place or wrote the denizens' dialogue, absolutely fantastic job! whee.gif

(side gripe - give Inspector General Aelalon something to say, I feel we'd have a lot in common...)
(side rave - more people to debate with! )
Ileein2010-07-10 17:03:27
QUOTE (Kialkarkea @ Jul 10 2010, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't like your attitude mister. If Hallifax decided it wanted to go crazy dictatoral and people opposed it, then that would be RP too. Your interpretation =/= law.

But what we've seen of Hallifax's RP through histories, denizens, and the atmosphere of the city does == law. Really, just because people don't want to go along with the RP of a city doesn't mean they should be allowed to dictate a completely new strand of RP. =/

Anyway, re: your point about 'people opposing it': Hallifax is not a city conducive to popular rule. While it has made some concessions to democracy given the modern age and whatnot, it's still very clearly dictatorial in nature. Up until now it's just been quite nice about it, all told.
Shedrin2010-07-10 17:30:51
QUOTE (Aeleon @ Jul 10 2010, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bah, I'm sorry I missed this. Though I think you also could have challenged their criticisms a bit more forcefully. As others said, to decry it as propaganda is a bit, "eh... that's a given." Would also just say that there are several types of propaganda, each with different aims; self-reinforcing, inciteful, exulting, etc. I think you should critique its worth by how effective it is at communicating its message to its target audience, which I don't think was considered in the log. Llesvelt likely had an intended reader when he was putting it together, I know I did when I was collecting all the quotes for mine.

Yeah. Part of that was trying to rush through it a bit because I had other stuff to do afterward, and part of it was because it was the first discussion of this kind with this group. Things won't be so lackadaisical in the future. wink.gif

QUOTE (Arel)
If, by some random chance, Hallifax actually put its big boy pants on and started being authoritarian, I'm sure a bunch of people would cry about it and the Board would back off because Hallifax seems to have a sector of people who are either ignorant of or disregard the RP that's been provided to the city, and some people who believe in the RP but only as much as it doesn't inconvenience them.

I think if you do it slowly and correctly, then it'll work. And then Hallifax will become like Magnagora; if you can't handle the RP then go somewhere else.
Anisu2010-07-10 20:53:15
QUOTE (Ileein @ Jul 10 2010, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But what we've seen of Hallifax's RP through histories, denizens, and the atmosphere of the city does == law. Really, just because people don't want to go along with the RP of a city doesn't mean they should be allowed to dictate a completely new strand of RP. =/

Anyway, re: your point about 'people opposing it': Hallifax is not a city conducive to popular rule. While it has made some concessions to democracy given the modern age and whatnot, it's still very clearly dictatorial in nature. Up until now it's just been quite nice about it, all told.

I don't think Kia means in game city laws but rather ooc laws on rp. It is perfectly fine RP to oppose a leadership and it is perfectly fine for the leadership to respond to that (with limits of course). However you do not get to dictate what kind of RP you get in Hallifax, it is a majority of players that dictates that.