Hexen: The other, other white meat.

by Shaddus

Back to Combat Guide.

Shaddus2010-07-07 18:40:07
Ok, so Shaddus is a Tritrans Nihilist, with Hexes. However, aside from alts in group combat I have no experience in using hexes. Is Hexaura worth using at 10 power? What works best for a Nihilist, prefereably synergy with my pacts? Is hexensoles/throat/palm worth using?

Any input is appreciated. I'm headed to work, so I won't be back for another 12 hours or so, but hook me up with some hexen info.
Furien2010-07-07 18:46:21
QUOTE (Shaddus Mes'ard @ Jul 7 2010, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, so Shaddus is a Tritrans Nihilist, with Hexes. However, aside from alts in group combat I have no experience in using hexes. Is Hexaura worth using at 10 power? What works best for a Nihilist, prefereably synergy with my pacts? Is hexensoles/throat/palm worth using?

Any input is appreciated. I'm headed to work, so I won't be back for another 12 hours or so, but hook me up with some hexen info.

Hexaura - yes, always worth using, but you'll have to carefully manage your enemies list so that way enemies don't just walk in and out and kill your hexes.

Palm - mainly used for moondancers so that they can palm sleep in sleeplocks. Nihilists may have similar options.
Throat - hexen throat agoraphobia/claustrophobia during group beckon standoffs to catch the systemless. If you have no system yourself, stand back and yell inspiring phrases praising Nil while throating stupidity.

As for the combos - yeah, no idea. Ask Malarious or Aliod.
Sylphas2010-07-07 18:47:54
QUOTE (Shaddus Mes'ard @ Jul 7 2010, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Palm is really handy for maintaining sleeplocks. Hexaura is really handy. No clue really how Nihilists use it, just have the Wiccan perspective. Use vapors for the blackout to hide your demon attacks and slip in as much as you can under it.
Sylphas2010-07-07 18:48:47
QUOTE (Furien @ Jul 7 2010, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
but you'll have to carefully manage your enemies list so that way enemies don't just walk in and out and kill your hexes.

HEXCONTROL ON.
Furien2010-07-07 18:49:36
I'm so outdated sad.gif
Nienla2010-07-07 18:50:30
QUOTE (Furien @ Jul 7 2010, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm so outdated sad.gif

Yeah. I envoyed that months ago.
Nienla2010-07-07 18:53:25
As a Nihilist hexen, I would utilize my hexes in a manner to get ready for Sacrifice. Jinx can be a handy asset to do this.

You'll want to go for Deathmark first and get that pretty high up, breathe contagion. Once you have deathmark up a fair bit, crucify and let loose your hexes like Epilepsy, Paralysis, Impatience, and so forth. I probably wouldn't use up power on doublewhammies though. You'll need the power for Sacrifice, but hexing is so fast that you'll have plenty of time to afflict someone up. You can also use DarkSilver in conjuction with Sleep Hexes if you're inclined, or use the insta-sleeplock with beast sleep and doublewhammy sleep. However, since your only method for killing someone is probably going to be Sacrifice. I'd just be a little stingy on power.

Edit: I forgot that Crucify restricts stuff like focus, so you can use normal hex throws to stick afflictions while they're crucified. Sleep isn't good since the crucifixion periodically wakes them up.
Faymar2010-07-07 19:19:35
I don't think that I am in a position to offer any combat advice, but here it goes, maybe you will find something useful.

I would use hexenpalm for vapors (maybe stupidity).
Hexensoles could be useful for offensive if you can force you opponent into trying to move you. Your opponent will be off balance and you will hit them with two hexes. Or just a good defensive skill.
I don't know about Hexenthroat.
Unknown2010-07-07 22:02:03
If you can catch Romero, ask him!

Although he had more experience with Tarot, but still.
Nienla2010-07-07 22:12:57
QUOTE (Solanis @ Jul 7 2010, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you can catch Romero, ask him!

Although he had more experience with Tarot, but still.

I'd ask Shamarah. Since he was an accomplished Nihilist Hexen.
Shamarah2010-07-08 01:17:43
Nihilists should be using hexes to give epilepsy/scabies and that's really about it. Going for stuff like jinx and sleeplock is just wasting power that would be better used to speed up a sacrifice attempt. I guess you could use sleeplock if you're really having trouble sticking ecto but honestly that's not usually the big problem.
Razenth2010-07-08 01:46:17
I wasn't even aware that Nihilists could produce an efficient sleep lock given their lack of aeon.
Sylphas2010-07-08 01:47:47
QUOTE (Razenth @ Jul 7 2010, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wasn't even aware that Nihilists could produce an efficient sleep lock given their lack of aeon.

If Crucify blocks insomnia and kafe until you writhe, maybe. You'd need to time it so you get equilibrium back before it ticks and wakes them up, though.
Shamarah2010-07-08 11:36:48
Anyone with access to the ORDER command and Hexes can put someone fully to sleep - order metawake off, beast sleepcloud, doublewhammy sleep sleep. A "sleeplock" is generally considered to be that plus aeon, though, which Hexen Nihilists don't have access to.
Veyrzhul2010-07-08 13:34:34
QUOTE (Shamarah @ Jul 8 2010, 11:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone with access to the ORDER command and Hexes can put someone fully to sleep - order metawake off, beast sleepcloud, doublewhammy sleep sleep. A "sleeplock" is generally considered to be that plus aeon, though, which Hexen Nihilists don't have access to.

If only. Many people get insomnia up between the beast breath and following sleep attacks for me (or more generally, cure any first attack before a second goes through).
Razenth2010-07-08 16:17:10
If you're sending the commands all at once (say, via command stacking), I'm not sure how that's possible.
Shaddus2010-07-08 16:18:56
QUOTE (Razenth @ Jul 8 2010, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you're sending the commands all at once (say, via command stacking), I'm not sure how that's possible.

Some people have high ping, and are a bit slow.
Veyrzhul2010-07-08 16:23:54
I'm on around 200ms, and the second command of a series of commands sent simultaneously (stacked) happens around 80 ms after the first. The delay gets a bit lower if I stack more commands, but that doesn't help alot. 80 ms is plenty of time for someone with a fast link to cure or do whatever in between.
Sylphas2010-07-08 16:25:10
That's the annoying part about fighting as a Moondancer. You just try that over and over until it sticks, basically. Blackout and such can help with getting quicksilver down or stripping insomnia if you're lucky, but you're basically just doing that over and over and over until they screw up and you win.