Aeonics Blademaster

by Kepthira

Back to Combat Guide.

Kepthira2010-07-07 05:53:26
Hey guys! I've recently joined the Sentinels and specialized in Blademaster and Aeonics. I was just wondering if anybody's run with this variation of specializations, and if so, how's that working out for you? I suppose I have a few questions if anybody would like to answer them, as well:
  • Does Aeonics synergize well with Blademaster?
  • Blademaster kills are based off of wounds rather than damage, does Aeonics help play a major role into that, or will I find myself ignoring Aeonics most of the time except for only a few key skills?
  • I've heard that Aeon isn't such a big deal here, and it seems to be a key component of Aeonics. Is using multiple afflictions in aeon (asthma, stupidity, anorexia, slickness) a viable tactic as opposed to wounds, for quick kills? Or does passive healing play a huge part in working against afflictions?
  • Typically, in games like this, physical attack classes have quite a few things going against them like dodging and parrying, but ultimately their offense culminates in a damage kill rather than afflictions. However, afflictions are not foreign to any class here. Is there a "cap" to the type of player/class I can kill? For instance, can I easily kill midbies, and highbie squishy people, but not demigods or highbie monks?
  • Just how good are systems in this game? Are they fairly buggy, or are they well-developed?

If you haven't played a blademaster, but have some insight into it, please don't hesitate give your input. I'll be transing everything out in eventually, but not immediately (I'm already trans Blademaster and expert Aeonics).

Thanks in advance!
Unknown2010-07-07 06:06:08
Haven't played a blademaster buut.

1. No idea.
2. Probably the latter.
3. Aeon is a semi big deal here (yes there is some passive aff healing, yes there is good curing) when combined with the afflictions you mentioned (plus impatience). Thing is, you're a warrior. Have to remember that the Guardian Institute gets Aeonics too. Plus a whole load of passives with their crystals, which you don't get.
4. Damage classes work by shutting down their sipping/healing so that you can damage them to death. It just means that they aren't killing with an instakill. It might be a little more difficult for tanky people, but it's not impossible.
5. Fairly well developed.
Casilu2010-07-07 06:06:36
QUOTE (Kepthira @ Jul 6 2010, 10:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey guys! I've recently joined the Sentinels and specialized in Blademaster and Aeonics. I was just wondering if anybody's run with this variation of specializations, and if so, how's that working out for you? I suppose I have a few questions if anybody would like to answer them, as well:
  • Does Aeonics synergize well with Blademaster?
  • Blademaster kills are based off of wounds rather than damage, does Aeonics help play a major role into that, or will I find myself ignoring Aeonics most of the time except for only a few key skills?
  • I've heard that Aeon isn't such a big deal here, and it seems to be a key component of Aeonics. Is using multiple afflictions in aeon (asthma, stupidity, anorexia, slickness) a viable tactic as opposed to wounds, for quick kills? Or does passive healing play a huge part in working against afflictions?
  • Typically, in games like this, physical attack classes have quite a few things going against them like dodging and parrying, but ultimately their offense culminates in a damage kill rather than afflictions. However, afflictions are not foreign to any class here. Is there a "cap" to the type of player/class I can kill? For instance, can I easily kill midbies, and highbie squishy people, but not demigods or highbie monks?
  • Just how good are systems in this game? Are they fairly buggy, or are they well-developed?

If you haven't played a blademaster, but have some insight into it, please don't hesitate give your input. I'll be transing everything out in eventually, but not immediately (I'm already trans Blademaster and expert Aeonics).

Thanks in advance!

I personally do not think that Aeonics synergizes that well with warriors. The main thing I like about Aeonics is that Timewarp and aeon can slow down wound-curing and mental affliction curing. As a Blademaster, your kills will likely be damage/bleeding or behead. You, personally, have no way to get Anorexia and if you stick them with slit-throat in aeon with slickness, then you will likely kill them in a few rounds since you can behead them soon after.

You have to worry about parrying/stancing, but there are some tricks around that. I think most of the systems are pretty good, especially at curing wounds and parrying/stancing, but you can learn to predict where they will stance.
Kepthira2010-07-07 06:26:32
QUOTE (casilu @ Jul 7 2010, 07:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You, personally, have no way to get Anorexia and if you stick them with slit-throat in aeon with slickness, then you will likely kill them in a few rounds since you can behead them soon after.

I figured slit-throat was our form of Anorexia sad.gif. How hard is it to stick?

Also, is wound severity affected by weapon damage? Or is it only based on how much a body part gets hit?

Edited cause I'm curious.
Casilu2010-07-07 06:32:30
QUOTE (Kepthira @ Jul 6 2010, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I figured slit-throat was our form of Anorexia sad.gif. How hard is it to stick?

Not that bad. If you get them with slickness, they can't cure until they use cleanse. The hard part is getting the wounds up to heavy.

Wounding is a function of precision and strength.
Kante2010-07-07 06:58:07
You'll find that warriors tend to have a sharp learning curve, but it's satisfying once you get it down. The main advice I can give is to spread out your attacks, due to parry and stance. Most people will start off with head at 100 on parry and stance legs. Move their parry and stance around, and obfuscate what you're trying to do.

Also, lunges are great for getting ahead early in the fight.
Kepthira2010-07-07 07:14:51
QUOTE (Kante @ Jul 7 2010, 07:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You'll find that warriors tend to have a sharp learning curve, but it's satisfying once you get it down. The main advice I can give is to spread out your attacks, due to parry and stance. Most people will start off with head at 100 on parry and stance legs. Move their parry and stance around, and obfuscate what you're trying to do.

Also, lunges are great for getting ahead early in the fight.

Appreciated!!

I'm ain't afraid of no (ghosts) learning curves. What I'm really afraid of, which was a factor in the game I played previous, is that it's game mechanically im to achieve a victory over someone way more artied out/higher level/etc even if they were less skilled than me. It's quite refreshing to hear that most classes have a chance against each other, despite obstacles. I can probably figure out parrying/stancing, but I can't figure out how to make my class not die to x when y is just so imbalanced, if you catch my drift.
Casilu2010-07-07 07:18:58
QUOTE (Kepthira @ Jul 7 2010, 12:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Appreciated!!

I'm ain't afraid of no (ghosts) learning curves. What I'm really afraid of, which was a factor in the game I played previous, is that it's game mechanically im to achieve a victory over someone way more artied out/higher level/etc even if they were less skilled than me. It's quite refreshing to hear that most classes have a chance against each other, despite obstacles. I can probably figure out parrying/stancing, but I can't figure out how to make my class not die to x when y is just so imbalanced, if you catch my drift.

The most frustrating fight you will have is another warrior with a system. It goes NOWHERE.
Unknown2010-07-07 07:36:52
What's nice about Aeonics is paradox, time echoes, aeon aura and your form of carcer. Basically, whatever passive effects you can get going in Aeonics will help you a lot with your active knighthood effects.
Kepthira2010-07-07 07:41:20
QUOTE (casilu @ Jul 7 2010, 08:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The most frustrating fight you will have is another warrior with a system. It goes NOWHERE.

Yeah, well what mirror fights are ever fun? I kindly doubt that monk v monk, wiccan v wiccan, etc are fun either. Usually stuff like that goes nowhere (except sometimes generic archetypes are so un-dynamic that it's not challenging, it's just a boring stalemate).

QUOTE (Sojiro @ Jul 7 2010, 08:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What's nice about Aeonics is paradox, time echoes, aeon aura and your form of carcer. Basically, whatever passive effects you can get going in Aeonics will help you a lot with your active knighthood effects.

That's what I've been anticipating, thus far. I'm still not discouraged, despite a challenge in front of me; I think I got this.
Casilu2010-07-07 07:44:24
QUOTE (Kepthira @ Jul 7 2010, 12:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, well what mirror fights are ever fun? I kindly doubt that monk v monk, wiccan v wiccan, etc are fun either. Usually stuff like that goes nowhere (except sometimes generic archetypes are so un-dynamic that it's not challenging, it's just a boring stalemate).

Monk versus monk goes fast, at least when I was a monk.

And warrior is SOOOOOOO much worse. I remember hearing about Desitrus and Ceren fighting for six hours back when they had spec plate.
Unknown2010-07-07 07:44:58
Yeah, to be honest, I don't really think aeonics warriors will be using timequake to kill their enemies nearly as much or as effectively as researchers, which is a shame, but I feel that just a few changes to aeonics will make this possible. The problem is that what may be 'just right' for aeonics warriors might be WTFOP with researchers.
Kepthira2010-07-07 07:46:10
QUOTE (casilu @ Jul 7 2010, 07:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Monk versus monk goes fast, at least when I was a monk.

Oh... I stand corrected then unsure.gif

From my perspective, mirror fights were always long, drawn out, and based on one countering another rather than progressive offense.

Yeah, to be honest, I don't really think aeonics warriors will be using timequake to kill their enemies nearly as much or as effectively as researchers, which is a shame, but I feel that just a few changes to aeonics will make this possible. The problem is that what may be 'just right' for aeonics warriors might be WTFOP with researchers.

Yea, I didn't really consider Timequake within my grasp of a kill. Now, I do have a friend that's a researcher, so him and I stacking up may be fairly effective in group combat if we can find a workable angle. Time... will tell.
Casilu2010-07-07 07:52:39
QUOTE (Sojiro @ Jul 7 2010, 12:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Timewarp/aeon version of deathmark? ninja.gif
Unknown2010-07-07 08:13:49
Actually yes. An aura that wraps around your weapon to give x chance of a timewarp per strike would be swell.
Krellan2010-07-07 08:26:20
Druid vs Druid
Kante2010-07-07 08:37:36
QUOTE (Krellan @ Jul 7 2010, 04:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Druid vs Druid

I cringed.