Politics in Lusternia

by Unknown

Back to Chronicles of the Basin.

Unknown2010-07-05 05:35:42
I've been a little stunned and put off by the vitriol and anger that seems to be involved with and created by politics in Lusternia.

Long story short, because I am not trying to rehash all the in-game arguments Winnae had with ur'Guard members about disposing with exclusionary/elitist policies vs. the phenomenon of Magnagora being outnumbered. Perseverance and me taking a trip to Japan has created a clear winner in that struggle.

I went on vacation, came back, and the people who opposed my ideas are trying to get Winnae outguilded from the ur'Guard. This doesn't bother me too much, but I wonder, if I moved Winnae to a different org, is it the same everywhere? I don't mean that I want to be in a leadership position, but I don't want to be in a place where the people are always arguing with or treating each other poorly, for any reason. All I expect is that everyone treats everyone else with respect, regardless of guild/city rank. Is that too much to ask? confused.gif
Kante2010-07-05 05:40:24
If you're looking for everyone to be equal, you REALLY shouldn't've joined Magnagora. Because in Magnagora (and especially the ur'guard and fain's order) rank is everything. If you're not high ranked, you should expect to be stepped on. It's part of the RP. Then when you crawl and claw your way to the top, you step on those below you.

That's how it goes, boyo. That's not to say Mag is horrible, or that you're a horrible player; far from it. I love Mag, and you were cool from what I saw, but Mag is NOT for everyone. You may want to check out Serenwilde or Gaudiguch, I think they would both tickle your fancy more than Mag ever will.

Best of luck. :thumbsup:
Shedrin2010-07-05 05:46:20
If it was anyone other than Winnae I'd suggest Hallifax. Generally everyone treats each other with respect there. But coming to Hallifax would probably contradict Winnae's RP. And everyone in Hallifax (ICly) thinks he's a destructive idiot anyway.

But I wuvs Winnae at least. err.gif
Unknown2010-07-05 05:46:57
Typically, what you're looking for tends to be found in the 'good' orgs like Celest, SW, and Hallifax, not so much the dark or evil orgs.
Unknown2010-07-05 05:51:57
I've always felt Winnae was best in Magnagora because based on his personality, it's being Magnagoran that makes him extra funny. But going into politics and trying to make people change to be "nicer" when they didn't want to do so, has made him some enemies. It's really too bad, since good Winnae would likely not be as amusing chin.gif
ongaku2010-07-05 05:59:08
QUOTE (Jello @ Jul 5 2010, 12:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've always felt Winnae was best in Magnagora because based on his personality, it's being Magnagoran that makes him extra funny. But going into politics and trying to make people change to be "nicer" when they didn't want to do so, has made him some enemies. It's really too bad, since good Winnae would likely not be as amusing chin.gif

Ongaku absolutely adores Winnae and would be crushed to see him kicked out of the Ur'Guard or made to feel like he should be in a different org. sad.gif Ongaku himself has had to put up with some opposition (some Geomancers didn't want to vote for him as admin because he's "happy"), so he would definitely understand what Winnae was going through. It's upsetting for me to hear though that now they're trying to get you kicked out for whatever reason.

And on a slightly different note regarding where people fit in orgs... I really REALLY don't belong in Magnagora, but I've put so much time and effort into getting up in the ranks (clawing my way up, as Kante put it) that I don't want to take Ongaku anywhere else. I don't like playing the big bad guy who steps on the toes of the little guy for no reason other than to boost his own ego. That's what people did to me in middle school. Besides, Ongaku's always rooted for the underdog, since he's always been one himself, at least until now.

On the other hand, it's nice to be the one who gets to say "Respect your elders/superiors, Serf/Urth/Pupil/etc."
Razenth2010-07-05 06:17:30
Gaudi needs more Templars since they all left for Illuminati. Help Akui and Mieari out! ninja.gif
Unknown2010-07-05 07:07:17
QUOTE (Ongaku Nil'Goeth @ Jul 5 2010, 12:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ongaku absolutely adores Winnae and would be crushed to see him kicked out of the Ur'Guard or made to feel like he should be in a different org. sad.gif Ongaku himself has had to put up with some opposition (some Geomancers didn't want to vote for him as admin because he's "happy"), so he would definitely understand what Winnae was going through. It's upsetting for me to hear though that now they're trying to get you kicked out for whatever reason.

And on a slightly different note regarding where people fit in orgs... I really REALLY don't belong in Magnagora, but I've put so much time and effort into getting up in the ranks (clawing my way up, as Kante put it) that I don't want to take Ongaku anywhere else. I don't like playing the big bad guy who steps on the toes of the little guy for no reason other than to boost his own ego. That's what people did to me in middle school. Besides, Ongaku's always rooted for the underdog, since he's always been one himself, at least until now.

On the other hand, it's nice to be the one who gets to say "Respect your elders/superiors, Serf/Urth/Pupil/etc."

You know I never did understand why people think that you're not allowed to smile or be happy in a "evil" setting. I mean, everyone wants to be loved even Bad Horse. Their definition of joy and happiness is just....slightly different.
Eventru2010-07-05 07:26:48
Hallifax is very far from 'good'. It is elitist, racist, supports indentured slavery, and is borderline immoral. I seem to remember a lot of complaints not long ago about the anti-'fighter' (in the brutish sense of the word) atmosphere.

soapbox.gif

However yes, you'll see it far more in 'good' organizations.

(Although really, Celest has pronounced racist undertones, though it's more of a 'Oh, you poor tae'dae, come here you unintelligent, stupid thing. You look hungry. Here's some honey, darling,' thing, and not 'Rah! Burn the elfen!'.)

It tends to be a 'theme' in either 'freedom' oriented organizations (serenwilde, gaudiguch) and in 'goodly' organizations (celest), where it's either a common sense thing (love is the law, love under will), or a hard ideological principle (Raziela).
Unknown2010-07-05 07:34:10
It's pretty obvious that while you really, really, really, don't intend it to be that way, it's just popular in fantasy stories that order (yeah yeah hallifax isn't order, blah blah soapbox) = good, and chaos (blah blah I'm sure gaudi isn't chaos either) = evil.

The fact that you made halli guardians take healing, astrology, and tarot while gaudi guardians can take hexes, astrology, and tarot sure hints at something as well. But maybe I'm just crazy.
ongaku2010-07-05 07:37:38
QUOTE (Sarvasti @ Jul 5 2010, 02:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know I never did understand why people think that you're not allowed to smile or be happy in a "evil" setting. I mean, everyone wants to be loved even Bad Horse. Their definition of joy and happiness is just....slightly different.

I don't get it either, but apparently the only good GA in Magnagora is one who's a complete hardass.
Unknown2010-07-05 07:49:19
QUOTE (Sojiro @ Jul 5 2010, 07:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The fact that you made halli guardians take healing, astrology, and tarot while gaudi guardians can take hexes, astrology, and tarot sure hints at something as well. But maybe I'm just crazy.

I noticed this as well (and forgive me for derailing my own thread...), would it be too late to change it? Healing just seems like it would be much more appropriate for the Illuminati than the Institute. It's like they got it backwards or something. Or maybe to differentiate them from the other Guardian guilds, take away tarot and let both choose from hexes/healing/astrology?
Rika2010-07-05 07:52:11
Weren't the kephera/illithoid ambassadors in the collegium enough of a give-away?
Unknown2010-07-05 07:56:26
Yeah.. i still think Illuminati need Healing as an option. We can shape Reality. We can shape flesh. We can create life. But we can't heal? Bwha?
Llesvelt2010-07-05 08:00:08
QUOTE (Narrative @ Jul 5 2010, 08:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah.. i still think Illuminati need Healing as an option. We can shape Reality. We can shape flesh. We can create life. But we can't heal? Bwha?

Alter my perception of reality - Check
Give myself wings - Check.
Give myself sharp fangs - Check
Give myself eight fingers on each hand - Check
Close a minor wound - OMGWTF???!!!

tongue.gif

I think it is humorous, though.
ongaku2010-07-05 08:00:10
I think that it should have been Illuminati get Hexes, Healing and Tarot, and Institute get Healing, Hexes and Astrology.
Unknown2010-07-05 08:01:37
QUOTE (Ongaku Nil'Goeth @ Jul 5 2010, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think that it should have been Illuminati get Hexes, Healing and Tarot, and Institute get Healing, Hexes and Astrology.

Good spread there 'Gaku content.gif Thematically at least, that seems the best to me.
Unknown2010-07-05 08:02:46
QUOTE (Narrative @ Jul 5 2010, 12:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Llesvelt @ Jul 5 2010, 01:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Close a minor wound - OMGWTF???!!!

CHANT PUELLA ME

tongue.gif

QUOTE (Jello @ Jul 5 2010, 01:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good spread there 'Gaku content.gif Thematically at least, that seems the best to me.

I'm not sure that I agree. Tarot has usually been a very strong skillset for Guardians because of its versatility. Denying it to the Institute might not be such a good idea from a mechanical point of view. From an RP perspective, well... that's always going to be up for debate I suppose.
Llesvelt2010-07-05 08:04:31
Anyways, more on-topic.

I feel that Hallifax is quite authoritian, hellish place to be, i'd think, personally, but my character likes it all the same. It does not at all seem a "good" faction for me, far, FAR from it. I do think it is a faction which has an easy time steering clear of ego-thumping and personal drama, though, being Collectivist and all that. Not that it does not happen, it just does not seem to attract the ego-centric people all that much with the whole "we are the Collective" thing.
Okin2010-07-05 08:07:45
Oh noes! Hallifax is stealing Glomdoring's "the individual doesn't matter" schtick! What will Glomdoring do?