A question of aesthetics

by Aldani

Back to Creative Arts.

Aldani2010-07-03 19:01:06
In beginning work on my current project, I ran into the common difficulty of turning text into art: though I am very impressed by the quality of descriptions in Lusternia, there are unavoidable moments of vagueness. Not every detail can be described, obviously, which in many ways is pleasant--it allows us to fill them in as we please. In other ways, it leads to my current conundrum. The descriptions of stormeaters in the Air Elemental Plane (I hope it's not inappropriate to post this) are as follows:
A sinuous stormeater is here, sucking hungrily at the clouds.
Its smooth-lipped, scaled mouth open, this stormeater sucks constantly at the clouds, eagerly feeding off the elemental essence of this plane. Long and sinuous, the stormeater looks like a great serpent with scales that glisten an icy blue and eyes that flash bright white and then dim to cobalt blue, only to repeat a few seconds later. Two fanning wings stretch from the creature's body, made entirely of blackened clouds. Its body twists in a manner reminiscent of a corkscrew, its curlicued tail ending in a bunch of brightly coloured feathers.
A curlicued stormeater rises up from the clouds, hungrily sucking at the nearby clouds.
With a flick of its tail, a curlicued stormeater disappears into the clouds.

I love the imagery of them, which is why I want to draw one, but I can't figure out if they're supposed to be oriented vertically or horizontally. Maybe I'm missing something in the text of the description, or it's entirely possible that I am over-thinking the entire endeavour and they can be directed however they please on any given day. Regardless, I've attached a very rough sketch of what I mean, and would welcome any opinions
Ytran2010-07-03 19:02:55
The stormeaters are oriented in such a way that they curve and twist through time, rather than three-dimensional space.
Shedrin2010-07-03 19:06:47
I've imagined them more horizontally.

Also, the sketch reminds me of trogdor...
Unknown2010-07-03 19:12:14
I've thought of them horizontally, too! I tried to draw one and gave up in a fit of blind rage.

Ahem...that said...good luck with it! I also think the imagery of the stormeaters is very appealing. I wanted to design some stormeater armbands....hmmm...maybe I should still do that. chin.gif
Noola2010-07-03 19:22:44
I'd draw two of them, in the picture. One of them horizontal, the other vertical. That way, you're covered either way! laugh.gif
Eventru2010-07-03 19:46:12
QUOTE (Aldani @ Jul 3 2010, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In beginning work on my current project, I ran into the common difficulty of turning text into art: though I am very impressed by the quality of descriptions in Lusternia, there are unavoidable moments of vagueness. Not every detail can be described, obviously, which in many ways is pleasant--it allows us to fill them in as we please. In other ways, it leads to my current conundrum. The descriptions of stormeaters in the Air Elemental Plane (I hope it's not inappropriate to post this) are as follows:

I love the imagery of them, which is why I want to draw one, but I can't figure out if they're supposed to be oriented vertically or horizontally. Maybe I'm missing something in the text of the description, or it's entirely possible that I am over-thinking the entire endeavour and they can be directed however they please on any given day. Regardless, I've attached a very rough sketch of what I mean, and would welcome any opinions

They can be directed however they - or you - please on any given day. I actually envisioned them far more drawn out (like when you take a spring and pull on both its ends), but that's the beauty of text games - it's how you see it that's important! smile.gif
Aldani2010-07-03 19:56:54
Thank you all very much for the response, particularly from one of the designers. I hope to be able to do the stormeaters justice in my art.