History lesson

by Druken

Back to Chronicles of the Basin.

Druken2010-07-04 04:40:52
I held a history lesson earlier, but I did not manage to make a log of it (oops). If someone else did and can post it below, that'd be cool.

Also: thank You to Whomever made the nighthag say "Glory be to Glomdoring." That was cool. smile.gif
Vahkatu2010-07-04 05:02:58
I noticed this too haha.
Kaia2010-07-04 05:47:06
QUOTE (Druken @ Jul 4 2010, 12:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I held a history lesson earlier, but I did not manage to make a log of it (oops). If someone else did and can post it below, that'd be cool.

Also: thank You to Whomever made the nighthag say "Glory be to Glomdoring." That was cool. smile.gif

Amani has it.
Amani2010-07-04 05:56:15
Before the Master Ravenwood Tree.
The bright sun shines down, blanketing you with its life-giving warmth. The dark heart of Glomdoring Forest is almost audibly beating in this, its shadowy centre. Tall, blackened trees surround this clearing, pressing together into an imposing barrier of rotten vegetation. Moulds and fungi are smeared across the plants, their pungent stench suffusing the forest. The branches are coated in dark slime, slick tendrils that hang downwards. Although a variety of trees might actually grow here, the black tar that coats them renders them indistinguishable. A thin black mist creeps between the trees, hanging low across the ground. The floor of the clearing itself is simply bare earth, cracked and dry. Overshadowing all is the Master Ravenwood Tree itself, jutting into the sky like a twisted fist. The sound of laughing crows echoes down from the treetops, a harsh sound for the ears below. The atmosphere vibrates with a palpable power. The Master Ravenwood Tree towers over everything here, pulsing with an immeasurable yet dark power. There are 20 dark nighthags here. Casting darkness all around, a shadow totem thrusts up from the ground, chilling the air. There are 10 illithoid scourges here. An ancient and skeletal tree surrounded by bushes of glittering black roses stands tall against the test of time. A rowan sapling clings tenaciously to the ground here. Brennan Stormcrow paces here, his cadaverous body twitching with sudden jerks. In the shape of an open palm, a metallic sigil lies here. A gruesome scalp lies decomposing on the ground. A miniature cloak is here, too small in size for any mortal race. Covered in bone armour, a giant bat hangs here, wings folded about its body and one beady eye open. An animated skeleton stands here with a ghostly outline of a bat around its skull. An animated skeleton stands here with a ghostly outline of a spider around its skull. An animated skeleton stands here with a ghostly outline of a beetle around its skull. An animated skeleton stands here with a ghostly outline of a wasp around its skull. Among the leaves and twigs, a lumbering red weevil scuttles about here. Fledgling Bethnea, Shadow of Crow is here. Fly Toldar, Ward of the Wyrd is here. He wields a blackened platinum rapier in each hand. Vahkatu of the Ravenwood is here. He wields a nature talisman in his left hand and a glowing powerstone in his right. Sidd is here. He wields a lustrous fang-shaped katana with both hands. Druken flaps his wings quickly, hovering in the air here. Druid Ayisdra Ysav'rai is here, shrouded. He wields a mystic cudgel in his left hand and a glowing powerstone in his right. Narynth Ysav'rai towers here, shrouded. She wields a mystic cudgel in her left hand. Druid Crek Stormcrow, Eye of Crow is here, shrouded. He wields a corvine shield of steel in his left hand and a mystic cudgel in his right. Druidess Svorai Sablewing is here. She wields a mystic cudgel in her left hand and a yellowing bone needle in her right. Quiet Cern Ysav'rai, Disciple of Eventide is here. He wields an athame dagger in his left hand. Tender Lerad Ysav'rai, Wyrden Ravager is here, shrouded. He wields a black steel nekai in each hand. Fledgling Kydoimos, Shadow of Crow is here, shrouded. He wields a nature talisman in his right hand.
You see a single exit leading north.

You see the following people here:
Bethnea, Toldar, Sidd, Druken, Narynth, Crek, Svorai, Cern, Lerad, Kydoimos, Ayisdra, Vahkatu, Amani

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament with a deep breath, he lifts his head to gaze at each of you in turn before lifting off the ground.

Druken flaps his wings quickly and begins to hover in the air.

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "It is appropriate that I have begun discussing the commune's history at this hour."

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "For those of you who do not know me, I introduce myself as Druken Inseira, a very old and very meticulous witch of the Dark Mother's coterie."

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "For that is what we called Her gathered spirits when I ruled as Her Prince of Shadows, many years ago."

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament flits to one of the ravenwood's branches and alights for a moment before flitting again to a better vantage point.

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "This forest has always existed."

Brennan Stormcrow bows to Bethnea and commences the lesson in Discipline.

Inhaling softly, Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "The very air is the Glomdoring's here. Though it breathes throughout the Basin, and though we all share it, it is rightfully ours."

Vahkatu of the Ravenwood's cold eyes follow Druken around on his journey from branch to branch, inhaling deeply through his slited nostrels.

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "The Glomdoring has always existed."

Gazing into the canopy, Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "I was present when Lady Viravain introduced Gwynevere the First to the ways of the Dark Mother's power."

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "The forest, though intact, was not led by a mortal. It belonged still to the spirits who dwell within it still."

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament gestures first to Brennan and then to the leaves of the Master Ravenwood.

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "And when we die, beyond the repair of the tapestry's threads, it will still exist."

Vahkatu of the Ravenwood glances at Brennan for a moment, biting down on his lip slightly.

Gazing at the crowd, Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "Druids, you are one with the wyrd. I know very well what it feels like to feel it coursing through my veins as a tender of the Dark Forest for I was once a member of Crow's nest."

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "But the wyrd did not always exist. And it will not always exist."

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "The Glomdoring has always existed."

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament pulls a leaf from the ravenwood and holds it aloft.

Voice projected, Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "A leaf from the Master Ravenwood is unnecessary. The soil it grows in is unnecessary. The drums that beat and the blood we feed it are unnecessary."

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament allows himself to land on his feet at the ground.

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament bows before Narynth before turning back toward the gathering, still gesturing toward her.

Vahkatu of the Ravenwood regards Druken before gazing deeply into the forest, his tapered ears perked slightly.

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "Regent Narynth, following Regent Talan, has led us into new avenues of glory and continues to do so, but she is unnecessary."

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "You are unnecessary. All that matters is the Glomdoring."

A wry smile spreads across Narynth's face.

Lowering his hand and smiling softly, Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "Now that I have your attention."

Narynth nods her head in agreement.

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "I heard a Penumbra in my own coven whisper something about the taint during one of his rituals."

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "It is not unheard of to intone that putrid darkness when we perform our spells on Her behalf, but it is at the height of hubris to presume that the taint has anything to do with this forest."

Vahkatu of the Ravenwood lets out a solemn caw from his perch, eyes falling on Druken once more.

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "The taint, after all, has not always existed."

Quiet Cern Ysav'rai, Disciple of Eventide cocks his head slightly, left ear twitching as he listens.

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "Some of you may be wondering what I must mean by this. How can it be that the Glomdoring has survived beyond the taint's reach? What of the Gloriana Forest that stood here before it?"

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament pauses for a moment, an air of recollection shadowing his features.

Vahkatu of the Ravenwood folds his arms in front of his small body, his hair falling loosely about his face. Without any sense of direction he nods gently.

Druken flaps his wings quickly and begins to hover in the air.

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "It is simple. The Glomdoring is all that matters."

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "What would occur if the Serenwilde were touched by the taint as it once was?"

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "Rampant and full of corrosive disease, transforming everything it touched into raving lunatics, the taint knew no boundaries. It clawed its way across the Basin, hungry for nothing more than the thrill of destruction. Of death."

Matter-of-factly, Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "The Serenwilde would crumble, of course. It would disintegrate into a nothingness that not even the Void can compare to."

Vahkatu of the Ravenwood wrinkles his nose slightly as he cups his hands together, interlocking his fingers.

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "It is weak, like any of the cities and like the Gloriana."

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "The Glomdoring has always existed because the Gloriana ended."

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "When the taint collided with the Gloriana's boughs, it emulsified them."

With a flourish of his arm, Eliron bows deeply.

Eliron flashes Druken a joyous smile.

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "Without a hope for survival, the Gloriana bent to the taint's will and allowed itself to be overcome. It dissolved into nothing."

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "It was nothing here. This location held nothing."

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament lifts and arm and gestures broadly in an arc.

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "Nothing."

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "Then it was time for the Glomdoring. It has always existed."

Voice darkening, Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "There is no taint here. There is no reminiscence of the taint, and to even suggest such a heinous event could have occurred that would transform something so weak and vile as the Gloriana into the power and majesty of the Glomdoring is a treason so awful that no punishment could ever ensure justice."

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "It was difficult for me to hear one of my own suggest that the taint exists here still. That we have somehow adapted to it."

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament curls his lips into a harsh sneer.

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "The taint is weaker than the Glomdoring. The Glomdoring has always existed."

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "We do not push the glory of the wyrd for our own sake. We do not derive power on our own behalfs."

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "When we take from the Master Ravenwood, we are drawing from a source of power that is more ancient than the Basin itself. It is larger than pride, it is greater than even the Gods Who watch over it."

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "Rowena and Brennan and Lhiannan and the Wyrdling and Nocht Himself can die, tortured by something that would dare harass a guardian of the Glomdoring, and the Glomdoring would live on still."

Voice quieter, Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "The Wyrd, the oxygen that fuels the Glomdoring the way it fuels our bodies and gives us breath, could be dried up, withered under the pressure of something more powerful."

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "But the Glomdoring will continue to thrive as it always has."

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament flits to hover just before the Master Ravenwood's knothole and leans over, fixing the crowd with a narrowed gaze.

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "This is the culture that I come from. This is what drove the guardians of this forest toward the success it now reaps."

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "If you cannot fathom the struggles that we have endured to bring about the Glomdoring's current state of well-being, then remember this when you dare invoke the taint here--."

His eyes darkening, Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament says, "You are nothing but a servant of the Glomdoring and it does not need you."

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament alights gracefully on the ground and folds his hands in front of him.

Druken Inseira, Dowser of the Firmament asks, "Are there any questions?"
Amani2010-07-04 05:56:46
You saw nothing. ninja.gif
Druken2010-07-04 06:08:56
Whoopsy. Apparently I forgot how emotes work in the very beginning there.
Shaddus2010-07-04 06:19:18
Two thumbs way up.
Unknown2010-07-04 06:31:49
I seriously don't understand how Gaudi and Glom aren't allies. I mean, they share a lot of the same philosophies.

False Memory and how Glomdoring views itself is totally what Paradigmatics is all about. So weird.
Noola2010-07-04 06:48:53
QUOTE (Narrative @ Jul 4 2010, 01:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I seriously don't understand how Gaudi and Glom aren't allies. I mean, they share a lot of the same philosophies.

False Memory and how Glomdoring views itself is totally what Paradigmatics is all about. So weird.

Honestly, I think it's because folks aren't able to let go of where a lot of the people who are now in the new cities came from. A lot of Gaudiguch used to live in Serenwilde, so when Serenwilde fights, Gaudiguch sides with them more often than not, which means against Glomdoring more often than not.
Unknown2010-07-04 07:04:20
QUOTE (Noola @ Jul 4 2010, 02:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Honestly, I think it's because folks aren't able to let go of where a lot of the people who are now in the new cities came from. A lot of Gaudiguch used to live in Serenwilde, so when Serenwilde fights, Gaudiguch sides with them more often than not, which means against Glomdoring more often than not.

I know. Its pretty unfortunate. Especially when Gaudiguch is kind of anti-Serenwilde Nature. If you say Serenwilde's name in front of the Nexus Keeper, he makes a comment that Gaudiguch made nature better than nature could, and he pretty clearly doesn't think very highly of them.

Really, I'm surprised Serenwilde even allows Beastmastery in terms of mutations. I mean.. that's not exactly natural, and how does it not effect the fae? Like.. would White Hart be a bit peeved if you stuck wings and a venom sack on a stag?
Shaddus2010-07-04 07:05:12
QUOTE (Narrative @ Jul 4 2010, 02:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know. Its pretty unfortunate. Especially when Gaudiguch is kind of anti-Serenwilde Nature. If you say Serenwilde's name in front of the Nexus Keeper, he makes a comment that Gaudiguch made nature better than nature could, and he pretty clearly doesn't think very highly of them.

Really, I'm surprised Serenwilde even allows Beastmastery in terms of mutations. I mean.. that's not exactly natural, and how does it not effect the fae? Like.. would White Hart be a bit peeved if you stuck wings and a venom sack on a stag?

Glory be to Mechanics > RP?
Unknown2010-07-04 07:07:31
QUOTE (Shaddus Mes'ard @ Jul 4 2010, 03:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Glory be to Mechanics > RP?

Iiii know. But I can dream of a world where RP always wins out. tongue.gif
Shiri2010-07-04 10:23:40
Gaudiguch isn't anti or pro a lot of things. Saying they're anti-nature is a huge stretch, even if they don't find any value in it. The "natural" complaint about beastmastery also sounds a bit like the "anti-city" complaint about Moondance Tower.

The false memory/paradigmatics thing is interesting, but I don't know why you'd expect them to complement each other. In a sense they're the same thing, but one way they're the same is that they're means to an end, and the two ends in question are pretty different.

This said, Gaudiguch fits better with Glomdoring and Magnagora, in the sense that they don't seem to care much about the Taint and the above "improved nature" thing, but as always there are more pressing concerns than what superficially makes sense, like which orgs are on top and stomping people, I guess. (Dunno if that's the actual reason here, but it easily could have been.)
Kante2010-07-04 11:34:56
Allow me to state that Paradigmatics is in no way equivalent to False Memory. There may be a few VERY SMALL similarities, but they are few and very far in between.
Shishi2010-07-04 13:29:31
Ohhh, Druken please tell me you grilled the little penumbra for mentioning Glomdoring is tainted. I remember being scared of Druken when I was a little Penumbra.
Unknown2010-07-04 13:40:21
QUOTE (Kante @ Jul 4 2010, 07:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Allow me to state that Paradigmatics is in no way equivalent to False Memory. There may be a few VERY SMALL similarities, but they are few and very far in between.

Um.. what? The entire Glomdoring schtick, as displayed quite nicely in this log, is that they deny the "reality" and so that is the way it is. Period. Glomdoring is not Tainted. Glomdoring has always existed. Those are the facts, ma'am.

Paradigmatics is all about believing in things so strongly that they become reality. But at the same time, if not enough people believe, it doesn't manifest permanently or at all. Essentially Glomdoring is practicing a commune-wide level of Paradigmatics. And if they could convince the entire basin of their beliefs, then those beliefs would become true. That's the whole basis of Paradigmatics.

How are they in no way complimentary?
Kio2010-07-04 13:44:48
QUOTE (shishi @ Jul 4 2010, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohhh, Druken please tell me you grilled the little penumbra for mentioning Glomdoring is tainted. I remember being scared of Druken when I was a little Penumbra.

I hope Druken doesn't grill that little Penumbra...

...after all, he was just struggling to find something to say about Magnagora, so it could be snuffed out in a symbolic way >.>
Siam2010-07-04 14:10:21
QUOTE (Kio @ Jul 4 2010, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope Druken doesn't grill that little Penumbra...

...after all, he was just struggling to find something to say about Magnagora, so it could be snuffed out in a symbolic way >.>

Penumbras rarely get grilled. We shower them with nightshades, amethysts, and shadowstuff.
Unknown2010-07-04 14:25:10
QUOTE (Narrative @ Jul 4 2010, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Um.. what? The entire Glomdoring schtick, as displayed quite nicely in this log, is that they deny the "reality" and so that is the way it is. Period. Glomdoring is not Tainted. Glomdoring has always existed. Those are the facts, ma'am.

Paradigmatics is all about believing in things so strongly that they become reality. But at the same time, if not enough people believe, it doesn't manifest permanently or at all. Essentially Glomdoring is practicing a commune-wide level of Paradigmatics. And if they could convince the entire basin of their beliefs, then those beliefs would become true. That's the whole basis of Paradigmatics.

How are they in no way complimentary?

Interesting argument.

False Memory, I believe, is more of "we chose which facts are important and discard the rest" rather than "we deny reality and build our own." I've never been a hard-core Blacktalon, but as far as I know, that's how we (they) look at it.
Ardmore2010-07-04 14:36:41
Druken is scary. =(