So you wanna be an Illuminati?

by Kante

Back to Chronicles of the Basin.

Kante2010-07-01 11:20:00
As the Illuminati don't yet have their advancement system set up yet, we wind up with some rather bored novices who want to hurry up and learn Transmology. Over the past day or so, I've taken to giving them meditative and "spiritual" tasks, such as imbibing alcohol, or smoking weed and meditating, and then writing a letter about what they learned or saw.

This is a small log of a simple interview and meditation for a Chaote seeking premature advancement. It's nothing major, but I hope you enjoy!

-- dunes of Eventual Tranquility -1:9:0 ---
Dunes of Eventual Tranquility.
Flickers of white light shimmer on the air and a sense of calm and quiet suffuses the area originating from a healing shrine of Kalikai nearby. Throughout the location, small dancing flames flicker and spark. Perched precariously on one clawed foot within the centre of the room, the Venerable Masasachi Dith contemplates everything.
You see exits leading northeast and northwest.

You look about yourself, rubbing your chin thoughtfully.

You nod your head emphatically.

You sit yourself down.

Dunes of Eventual Tranquility.
Flickers of white light shimmer on the air and a sense of calm and quiet suffuses the area originating from a healing shrine of Kalikai nearby. Throughout the location, small dancing flames flicker and spark. The grey floor dips precariously, forming dunes and mounds as well as valleys in the bulbous stone, a veritable bizarre landscape. Draped over the peaks of the mountains and across the floors of the valleys, in an attempt to provide humble comfort for visiting meditators, are thin but durably woven living grass mats. The acoustics here reinforce the absurdity of the room, for all noises echo briefly amidst the dunes and valleys. Although it is exceedingly difficult to navigate this terrain as a result of the tumid labyrinth created by the dunes, mounds, and valleys, there is an open archway to the northwest as well as an entrance to the northeast. The faint smell of smoke wafts through the air. Perched precariously on one clawed foot within the centre of the room, the Venerable Masasachi Dith contemplates everything. Chaote Fortebi is here.
You see exits leading northeast and northwest.

Fortebi sits down.

You pour green tea from an emerald vial into a delicate pink tea cup.

Swollen, searing air slinks in through cracks and crevices, offering no escape.

You pour green tea from an emerald vial into a delicate pink tea cup.

You give a delicate pink tea cup to Chaote Fortebi.

You say, "It is the only teacup design that I could find."

Your eyes sparkle with amusement.

Chaote Fortebi says, "That's okay."

You say, "Green tea helps to both soothe and stimulate the mind."

You take a drink from a delicate pink tea cup.
Your movements become fluid as you drink the green tea.
An initial taste of the piping hot tea almost scalds the tongue. Gently blowing on the tea to cool it, you consume the beverage in small sips. The tea is pleasantly refreshing, its bitter taste mingled with a hint of floral jasmine.

Fortebi takes a drink from a delicate pink tea cup.

You say, "Now then, why did you choose to join the Illuminati?"

Chaote Fortebi says, "Well, I wanted to explore my spiritual side."

Chaote Fortebi says, "The connection we have with the Cosmic planes."

An initial taste of the piping hot tea almost scalds the tongue. Gently blowing on the tea to cool it, you consume the beverage in small sips. The tea is pleasantly refreshing, its bitter taste mingled with a hint of floral jasmine.

You rub your chin thoughtfully, raise your eyebrow and say, "I see..."

The first rumbles of a distant eruption reverberate through every surface, causing the very foundations to shiver and quake.

You say, "Then why the Illuminati? Why not the Nihilists? The Celestines? Why not the Moondancers or Blacktalon?"

Chaote Fortebi says, "Fair question. I felt that the Illuminati were more open than the others, which seem to tend towards the dogmatic."

The muffled turning and grumbling of wheels on stone pass by outside, followed by the sharp crack of a beastmaster's whip.

You say, "Have you learned anything about yourself so far? Any spiritual revelations or epiphanies?"

Chaote Fortebi says, "Not so much yet. But when I was doing the Secret Flame initiation, the Fleshcrafter's words about the spirit being more important and the flesh being mutable spoke to me somewhat."

You say, "Aye, that is a very important lesson."

Fortebi takes a drink from a delicate pink tea cup.

Swollen, searing air slinks in through cracks and crevices, offering no escape.

You say, "I would like you to meditate on that for a short bit."

Chaote Fortebi says, "Certainly."

You say, "Once you are finished, and feel that you have come to some sort of revelation concerning such, please alert me."

You say, "I will provide you with a letter, and you will write down what you feel you have learned."

Fortebi nods his head emphatically.

You drop an emerald vial.

You say, "That is a bit of green tea, in case you decide you want more."

You stand up and stretch your arms out wide.

You say, "May you find enlightenment, Chaote."
Llesvelt2010-07-01 11:32:18
You made me want to play an Illuminati.
Kante2010-07-01 11:40:00
QUOTE (Llesvelt @ Jul 1 2010, 07:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You made me want to play an Illuminati.

clap_1.gif
Noola2010-07-01 13:46:44
Not to knock the importance of gathering the necessary supplies for life and all, but that's a much niftier advancement test. biggrin.gif
Gregori2010-07-01 14:20:49
Not to knock the log, cause it's pretty cool, but I am also pretty sure Angroth isn't supposed to be "taking it upon himself" to give advancement tasks of his own design. He would be better served in this to offer his ideas to Aiyana who is working on an advancement system.
Kante2010-07-01 14:22:10
QUOTE (Gregori @ Jul 1 2010, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not to knock the log, cause it's pretty cool, but I am also pretty sure Angroth isn't supposed to be "taking it upon himself" to give advancement tasks of his own design. He would be better served in this to offer his ideas to Aiyana who is working on an advancement system.

Aiyana is already aware of my giving these kinds of advancements, as she was around when I offered the first one, and thoroughly approved of it.

I'm just offering certain things in the meantime while Aiyana is getting things cobbled together. However, ideas will be offered to her as I come up with them. suspicious.gif
Shaddus2010-07-01 16:09:11
QUOTE (Gregori @ Jul 1 2010, 09:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, quite repressing Angroth!
Kante2010-07-02 01:06:17
More from the Illuminati novices! I plan on eventually compiling a book of letters like this...that aside, these two novices were required to go into a state of chemognosis, and write about what they learned.

Here are their letters:

While sitting under the clear Skarch sky I contemplated, through a giddy
drunken haze, the duality of mind and body - how they are seperates but
must be treated as one in the interest of improving and maintaining
oneself. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that such
a view was necessarily restrictive and cumbersome and that it reminded
of somewhat of the teachings of Hallifax (so far as I understand them,
anyway!). When we tie things together like that, more and more things
with ever tighter bonds, we produce a sort of brittle strength, but this
limited strength comes at the price of freedom.

In order to defend freedom, we must always therefore be disassembling
and disassociating the components which make up our lives, our minds,
our bodies, our city. Our very personalities must be broken up, examined
in their constituent parts, modified and reconstituted. We must repeat
this process in every aspect of our lives, great and small, to ensure
that freedom is maintained and that our minds and bodies are
strengthened through purifying meditation.

Our minds must be metaphysical. One of the inkings on my left leg was a
circle, and got me thinking. We can't in any way make a perfect circle,
its alwasys going to be innaccurate in some way. Another of my inkings,
a straight line had the same problem. How can we imagine something like
a circle if we can't ever see one?

The only answer must be the thing. Thingy. Mind, not physical.
Metaphysical, thats the one. Ours minds must have something outside of
reality.

Shouldn't be a surprise, really. I mean, you ever seen a block of
courage? or wisdom? No, they're outside of reality. We can only think
about 'em cos our minds are metawhatsis.

The second letter is from Twilxo, I cannot remember who the first letter is from.
Ileein2010-07-02 02:38:36
The second one reminds me of Terry Pratchett. laugh.gif
Llesvelt2010-07-02 14:08:27
... *Twitch*

I am -THIS- close to making my first Alt.