Dominators

by Unknown

Back to Chronicles of the Basin.

Unknown2010-06-26 11:17:52
As a player, I would like to express my strong disapproval of the direction in which Lusternia is heading. In my opinion, words like "alien force", "time police", "shock troops sent from the past" have no place in such a magical place that is Lusternia.

Re-read the lusternian history posted on the main site, I really enjoyed it, I am sure that there are better ways, lore related, to make Lusternia grow, not these recycled Sci-Fi themes.

PS: As I have seen people becoming quite passional when it comes to Lusternia, I feel that it's necessary to explain that I am simply voicing my concerns in a respectful way.
Anisu2010-06-26 11:49:12
QUOTE (Faymar Mes'ard @ Jun 26 2010, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As a player, I would like to express my strong disapproval of the direction in which Lusternia is heading. In my opinion, words like "alien force", "time police", "shock troops sent from the past" have no place in such a magical place that is Lusternia.

Re-read the lusternian history posted on the main site, I really enjoyed it, I am sure that there are better ways, lore related, to make Lusternia grow, not these recycled Sci-Fi themes.

PS: As I have seen people becoming quite passional when it comes to Lusternia, I feel that it's necessary to explain that I am simply voicing my concerns in a respectful way.

I strongly disagree, time travel has never been the soul child of scifi. Take for example the time turners in harry potter or the guardians of time trilogy. The difference between scifi and magical fantasy is simply that time travel is achieved differently and in Lusternia it is achieved by manipulating aethers or whatever which seems magical not technological
Rika2010-06-26 11:54:00
Don't want to discuss something related to current in game events, but "alien" really just means foreign and doesn't necessarily have to have any sci-fi connotations. Also, we always knew things such as time-locks existed, as seen with Hallifax and Gaudiguch.
Shiri2010-06-26 12:09:26
Lusternia has had spaceships and gnomish sci-fi technology for years. Fantasy is the more prominent theme but sci-fi has been here for a long time. There's way more jarring stuff Estarra could be doing than invoking magical time travel.
Unknown2010-06-26 12:32:34
QUOTE (Shiri @ Jun 26 2010, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lusternia has had spaceships and gnomish sci-fi technology for years. Fantasy is the more prominent theme but sci-fi has been here for a long time. There's way more jarring stuff Estarra could be doing than invoking magical time travel.

And I would disagree with that stuff too. Because things could be worse I see no reason not to be displeased with how things are now.

Yes, I agree that time travel can also be magical, I never had a problem with it when used in a fantasy novel. But when you put time travel next to invading alien forces, shock troops from the past and time police the feeling I am getting is that of a sci-fi movie. No matter how hard Lady Estarra tries to present it in a fantasy wrapping.
ongaku2010-06-26 12:47:35
Why can't fantasy and sci-fi coexist harmoniously? I mean, we've had aethercrafts in the game for forever. And planar travel could be said to be sci-fi-esque. This game has been both sci-fi and fantasy for as long as I've played it, and I have no issues with the two being together in the game. I don't see why it has to be straight sci-fi or straight fantasy.
Saran2010-06-26 12:47:36
QUOTE (Faymar Mes'ard @ Jun 26 2010, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And I would disagree with that stuff too. Because things could be worse I see no reason not to be displeased with how things are now.

Yes, I agree that time travel can also be magical, I never had a problem with it when used in a fantasy novel. But when you put time travel next to invading alien forces, shock troops from the past and time police the feeling I am getting is that of a sci-fi movie. No matter how hard Lady Estarra tries to present it in a fantasy wrapping.

You seem really hung up on this word alien.
Esano2010-06-26 12:48:47
Man, sci-fi and alien made me think Mucklemarsh.
Unknown2010-06-26 13:01:50
Lusternia is a crazy melting pot of genres, more than any other IRE game. This is not a new direction for the game. There's clockwork and chemistry, but it's not steampunk. There are ninjas, but it's not kung fu. There are scientists and living spaceships, but that doesn't make it sci-fi. If you feel you can only enjoy something confined to strict traits which you consider those that define the fantasy genre, I'd urge you to reconsider what makes a game fun for you as a gamer. And I don't say that to be dismissive. You yourself say that you enjoy the histories on the website. I'd take that as proof that it isn't the genre that's important - for there are PLENTY of fantasy muds out there - but the execution.
Noola2010-06-26 13:54:52
Folks shouldn't look at things in one dimensional black and white this or that terms. Something has sci-fi themes so it can't be fantasy. Why in God's name not? Sci-fi and fantasy are NOT mutually exclusive. Not at all.

One of the very best things about Lusternia is how it manages to be so many things. How it seems to be built around the idea of complexity and depth. Your 'good guys' are also quite bad and your 'bad guys' are also quite good. You've got quests where you have a chance to stop something bad from happening, but only by doing something possibly worse. You've got magic and you've got technology. And so on.

All of this is wonderful in my opinion.

Who wants a boring one dimensional world?

Sci-fi and fantasy go well together. After all, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." (that may be paraphrased, I'm quoting it from memory and I literally just woke up. laugh.gif )

As for the word 'alien' think of the term as used to describe immigrants. Not little green men. Just, you know, homicidal monster immigrants. laugh.gif
Siam2010-06-26 14:02:35
QUOTE (Noola @ Jun 26 2010, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Folks shouldn't look at things in one dimensional black and white this or that terms. Something has sci-fi themes so it can't be fantasy. Why in God's name not? Sci-fi and fantasy are NOT mutually exclusive. Not at all.

One of the very best things about Lusternia is how it manages to be so many things. How it seems to be built around the idea of complexity and depth. Your 'good guys' are also quite bad and your 'bad guys' are also quite good. You've got quests where you have a chance to stop something bad from happening, but only by doing something possibly worse. You've got magic and you've got technology. And so on.

All of this is wonderful in my opinion.

Who wants a boring one dimensional world?

Sci-fi and fantasy go well together. After all, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." (that may be paraphrased, I'm quoting it from memory and I literally just woke up. laugh.gif )

As for the word 'alien' think of the term as used to describe immigrants. Not little green men. Just, you know, homicidal monster immigrants. laugh.gif

Noola. wub.gif
Eventru2010-06-26 14:10:28
The word "alien" has been regularly used in Lusternia, since its opening, to describe things of a particularly unnatural, dark, foreign nature. I strongly advise you avoid events relating to the Soulless, including the Ascension Event, where 'alien' is used to describe Kethuru's presence in a broad variety of message, areamotes, planemotes, etc. Unfortunately, it seems like your own misconceptions and rigid adherence to OOC perceptions and definitions of these words.

I can go ahead and dissuade the notion that the dominators are from another planet or what have you. They are also not, contrary to apparent opinion, little green men, space travelers, or the off-spring of a very bored pairing of Fain and Raezon while they were imprisoned.

Everything you're complaining about has been said for years to be aspects of Lusternia - many times over Estarra's blatantly said that Lusternia is, variously, on a technologically 'equally' footing, if not more advanced, as the modern era in our own world. There have always been computers and various instruments of a similar nature in Xion, for example. These are all aspects of Lusternia that have existed, in varying degrees, since its inception. And many of them are there (if you're looking) in the histories, too. Operation Crucible, as enacted by Hallifax, should have been your biggest clue - Hallifax intended to lock Gaudiguch down in time. The whole 'time magic' thing should have been self-imposing, with that.

Edit: And 'alien' is there simply because of scripting limitations and how the kill messages are, among other things.
Unknown2010-06-26 14:15:54
Thank you, Lord Eventru, for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it.
Anisu2010-06-26 14:17:39
QUOTE (Noola @ Jun 26 2010, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lies, Star Wars does not exist.
Unknown2010-06-26 14:18:11
QUOTE (Eventru @ Jun 26 2010, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The word "alien" has been regularly used in Lusternia, since its opening, to describe things of a particularly unnatural, dark, foreign nature. I strongly advise you avoid events relating to the Soulless, including the Ascension Event, where 'alien' is used to describe Kethuru's presence in a broad variety of message, areamotes, planemotes, etc. Unfortunately, it seems like your own misconceptions and rigid adherence to OOC perceptions and definitions of these words.

I can go ahead and dissuade the notion that the dominators are from another planet or what have you. They are also not, contrary to apparent opinion, little green men, space travelers, or the off-spring of a very bored pairing of Fain and Raezon while they were imprisoned.

Everything you're complaining about has been said for years to be aspects of Lusternia - many times over Estarra's blatantly said that Lusternia is, variously, on a technologically 'equally' footing, if not more advanced, as the modern era in our own world. There have always been computers and various instruments of a similar nature in Xion, for example. These are all aspects of Lusternia that have existed, in varying degrees, since its inception. And many of them are there (if you're looking) in the histories, too. Operation Crucible, as enacted by Hallifax, should have been your biggest clue - Hallifax intended to lock Gaudiguch down in time. The whole 'time magic' thing should have been self-imposing, with that.

Edit: And 'alien' is there simply because of scripting limitations and how the kill messages are, among other things.

What? They are not Fain and Raezon babies? I am disappointed.
Eventru2010-06-26 14:20:51
Of course! I think you're feeling a bit put-off by the quantity, and I do realize this is a lot of fairly 'new' stuff to be stuffed into Lusternia. I also realize people might feel like there's been a lot of focus on it and things like Taint, Light, etc have taken a backseat to 'oo, time lords!'. Which maybe they have - but that's kind of inherent in new cities like this! Especially ones so long anticipated.

In time things will balance back out, and events can go back to being focused around screwing over Celest making sure everyone has equal fun in the spot light!
Ardmore2010-06-26 16:06:12
QUOTE (Eventru @ Jun 26 2010, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of course! I think you're feeling a bit put-off by the quantity, and I do realize this is a lot of fairly 'new' stuff to be stuffed into Lusternia. I also realize people might feel like there's been a lot of focus on it and things like Taint, Light, etc have taken a backseat to 'oo, time lords!'. Which maybe they have - but that's kind of inherent in new cities like this! Especially ones so long anticipated.

In time things will balance back out, and events can go back to being focused around screwing over Celest making sure everyone has equal fun in the spot light!

Oh man... The Doctor is invading Lusternia. geek.gif

lol.. I just noticed the 'screwing over Celest' crossed out. xD

Oh Eventru.
Shaddus2010-06-26 16:11:48
Passional.
Gregori2010-06-26 17:03:33
Lusternia has a steam-punk technology. Time travelling martians from the planet X1-Naboo are all part and parcel for Lusternia's theme and genre. Afterall, Estarra drove the magic school bus that brought humans to Lusternia.
Kaalak2010-06-26 17:13:59
QUOTE (Faymar Mes'ard @ Jun 26 2010, 04:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I suggest you read Dreams in the Witch House and Shadow out of Time by HP Lovecraft.