Night skillset

by Unknown

Back to Survival Guide.

Unknown2010-06-17 08:47:39
I am curious about how certain skills in Night work, if anyone would like to answer me.

How does flight work? It's like teleport, but targets a room, and it is delayed? Or you instantly teleport to the room, with a balance or equilibrium loss at the destination?
Is this the line (it's taken from a three years old version of the affliction lines posted by Forren):

"Shadows flock to Armand, riding a wiccan broom, in a murky swirl, swathing him with darkness. Suddenly, the darkness seeps into the ground, taking him along."

How does steal work? Increased damage as long as you hold your opponents shadow. You can hold it for a limited amount of time? You have to physically hold it in your hands (instead of a shield or weapon), or it works if it's in your inventory?

What kind of methods of magical travel does bonds prevent?
Esano2010-06-17 08:56:20
QUOTE (Faymar Mes'ard @ Jun 17 2010, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am curious about how certain skills in Night work, if anyone would like to answer me.

How does flight work? It's like teleport, but targets a room, and it is delayed? Or you instantly teleport to the room, with a balance or equilibrium loss at the destination?
Is this the line (it's taken from a three years old version of the affliction lines posted by Forren):

"Shadows flock to Armand, riding a wiccan broom, in a murky swirl, swathing him with darkness. Suddenly, the darkness seeps into the ground, taking him along."

It will move you a number of rooms, choosing a random exit from each successive room. I don't know if it can backtrack and end up in the same room.
How does steal work? Increased damage as long as you hold your opponents shadow. You can hold it for a limited amount of time? You have to physically hold it in your hands (instead of a shield or weapon), or it works if it's in your inventory?

10% increase, I believe. Inventory works.
What kind of methods of magical travel does bonds prevent?

It's like distort. So teleport, summon, wisp, rad, empress, gust, etc. The full list for distort is a bit odd, and has changed recently.
Unknown2010-06-17 09:01:24
Thank you very much!

Steal is 10% increase in Forren's list too, so I think that's the correct number.

Is that the correct message for flight? Because I doubt a warrior can ride a wiccan broom, and warriors can learn Night too.
Esano2010-06-17 09:04:46
When mounted (such as "riding a wiccan broom"), that is added to your short desc for some skills (transportation ones, I think). You might also get "mounted on X", for instance, or just nothing if they're walking.
Unknown2010-06-17 09:04:50
Flight takes balance/power equal to the amount of rooms you move, i.e., flighting using 10p means you are off balance for a good while, iirc. I'm fairly sure it doesn't put you back in the same room you left, barring extraneous circumstances like walls.

Yeah that's the message for flight.
Siam2010-06-17 09:51:24
QUOTE (Faymar Mes'ard @ Jun 17 2010, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is that the correct message for flight? Because I doubt a warrior can ride a wiccan broom, and warriors can learn Night too.

Broom is in Wicca, so the person in the example is a Shadowdancer.
Unknown2010-06-17 10:31:18
Thank you for the replies!
Nienla2010-06-17 15:58:09
Flight respects walls, and does not backtrack. Though there was one instance before when I was in Acknor that it did, but I bugged that and it was fixed. This was during my first revolt ever when Glomdoring and Magnagora actually got along.
Unknown2010-06-17 19:02:21
QUOTE (Nienla @ Jun 17 2010, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Flight respects walls, and does not backtrack. Though there was one instance before when I was in Acknor that it did, but I bugged that and it was fixed. This was during my first revolt ever when Glomdoring and Magnagora actually got along.

I am a bit confused. If it's so random, and it costs power and balance loss, what's its purpose? Why don't just sprint? Or leap over walls, if you are in trouble and need a quick escape?
Ssaliss2010-06-17 19:06:40
QUOTE (Faymar Mes'ard @ Jun 17 2010, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am a bit confused. If it's so random, and it costs power and balance loss, what's its purpose? Why don't just sprint? Or leap over walls, if you are in trouble and need a quick escape?

Likely because the other party can just sprint after you since they know which direction you went. With this, all they know is that you're around, which at least gives you a fighting chance to get away.
Unknown2010-06-17 19:40:53
Maybe it was changed, but you used to be able to Flight off-balance as long as you weren't prone.
Nienla2010-06-17 21:41:48
QUOTE (Salvation @ Jun 17 2010, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe it was changed, but you used to be able to Flight off-balance as long as you weren't prone.

Was changed, sadly.
Kante2010-06-17 22:32:14
QUOTE (Nienla @ Jun 17 2010, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Was changed, thankfully.

Fixed.
Unknown2010-06-17 22:50:04
All flight's really gone for now is bypassing barrier now that you can't use it offbalance. And even then, people complain.