Tracking down a GM, from both an RP and RL perspective.

by Kio

Back to Chronicles of the Basin.

Kio2010-06-13 23:13:36
Kio has a problem. He's been trying to track down the GM of the Shadowdancers last Friday evening, so almost 48 hours now. I've been stalking the online player list on the main site, in hopes of catching her, but unfortunately I've only made contact once. Even then, it was only through a message. Of course, there is a problem here...

...Kio has no skills, and no tutor available.

From an RP standpoint, he's a bit cautious when approaching the situation. He's already made contact through a message, and has been told they will speak about the matter at hand, but she can't give him a time when she will be around. Should he message her again, letting her know he still needs to speak with her? Should he ask around and see if anyone else has noticed a pattern to the times she's in the realms? Should he just continue to sit in the corner? Should I see in the GA could act in her place? After all, it has been about 2 months.

From a RL standpoint, I'm a bit annoyed, but I also understand it can't be helped. However, it would be nice to know when she'd be on, especially after missing her because I took an hour break for lunch. I feel I'm being held down to performing a check of the who list every 15 minutes, as I don't have the patience to just run around the basin with my newbie bash and collecting scholars/bards/pilgrims.

I just need help in determining what to do now. I hate waiting, and similarly, and I don't like to make other people wait. But still, just to have to wait for days before I can do anything after getting the Lusternia-itch again is aggravating.

(And again, I know other people have lives, too. This is why I'm not throwing random objects through the walls...yet >.>)
Unknown2010-06-13 23:33:27
If this is to get into the guild, just ask the GA. Or even the GC. Or even any GR19.
Diamondais2010-06-13 23:35:29
Or secretaries, they can let people in too!
Shishi2010-06-14 00:22:05
If you see Daem in game feel free to talk to him. He can probably help.
Lendren2010-06-14 02:04:44
GA is actually more appropriate than GM for getting into the guild; GM's primary role is being part of the city/commune's government. The GM is a senator and the GA is a governor, to use a USA government analogy.
Unknown2010-06-14 02:19:16
QUOTE (Lendren @ Jun 14 2010, 12:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
GA is actually more appropriate than GM for getting into the guild; GM's primary role is being part of the city/commune's government. The GM is a senator and the GA is a governor, to use a USA government analogy.

People still don't understand this, when it comes to elections, at least the ones I've seen. It's annoying.
ongaku2010-06-14 02:50:39
QUOTE (Solanis @ Jun 13 2010, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
People still don't understand this, when it comes to elections, at least the ones I've seen. It's annoying.

I honestly didn't understand this until recently. <.< It never really occurred to me that the GA might actually have more in-guild power, mostly because... well, I'd never really learned much about the job. Most of what I knew before I was elected GA I learned from Zasha within the last couple of months. sleep.gif

I feel like such a noob. :<
Unknown2010-06-14 02:57:17
The IG power associated with any given role is dependent entirely on the character/player and the roleplay of the guild. There's no official level of power or official set of privileges. Do what you can get away with.
ongaku2010-06-14 03:12:11
QUOTE (Salvation @ Jun 13 2010, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The IG power associated with any given role is dependent entirely on the character/player and the roleplay of the guild. There's no official level of power or official set of privileges. Do what you can get away with.

That's the problem, I have no idea what I can get away with or what Vashner would allow. >.> For that matter, I'm nearly too afraid to talk to him anymore about that or anything else, which isn't a good position to be in. sleep.gif
Ileein2010-06-14 03:14:29
My usual stance is that if you are doing it for the good of the guild, and it's not actively against any laws, you can get away with it. For internal affairs, what the GA says goes.
Unknown2010-06-14 03:14:48
QUOTE (Salvation @ Jun 14 2010, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's when other people's preconceptions are thrust upon you. Especially if it's in a public manner.
ongaku2010-06-14 03:16:05
QUOTE (Ileein @ Jun 13 2010, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My usual stance is that if you are doing it for the good of the guild, and it's not actively against any laws, you can get away with it. For internal affairs, what the GA says goes.

Let's just hope I don't get kicked in the face for following that train of thought, especially since I'm going to be rewriting a lot of our advancement stuff. I don't know if I should consult Vashner about it or not.

... oh jeez, I'm such a thread hijacker, I'm sorry Kio! D:
Sylphas2010-06-14 03:20:43
GA has more guild power. GM has more commune/city power. It's pretty self explanatory once you get the positions and look at GUILD/CITY/COMMUNE PRIVS.
Everiine2010-06-14 03:32:16
Yet people still think that the "correct" order is GM > GA > GC > rest of the guild. When "reinventing" the way things were done in the Serenguard, I tried to set up vague boundaries between the three, keeping the GM and GA in two different yet powerful arenas. Still not sure how that worked out, but yes, GA should be the highest guild leader.
Noola2010-06-14 03:35:33
I've always seen it as that GAs run the Guild, GMs represent the Guild, GCs defend the Guild.
ongaku2010-06-14 03:37:45
QUOTE (Everiine @ Jun 13 2010, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet people still think that the "correct" order is GM > GA > GC > rest of the guild. When "reinventing" the way things were done in the Serenguard, I tried to set up vague boundaries between the three, keeping the GM and GA in two different yet powerful arenas. Still not sure how that worked out, but yes, GA should be the highest guild leader.

o_o

I feel so weird thinking about that.

Like... really really weird. And I have no idea why. Maybe it's my complete and utter lack of confidence going "WHY WOULD ANYONE TRUST YOU TO RUN A GUILD?!"
Diamondais2010-06-14 03:39:30
It definitely depends on the mindset of the guild at the time. Yes, it should be in the guild GA on top as far as in guild matters go but there's plenty of times that the GA or the GM is the only one there to take care of the guild.

I've always held an active interest in guild activities, regardless of what position I've been in. (And I've been in more than is safe for my sanity)
Sylphas2010-06-14 03:41:46
I'm going to try to shove every decision related to guards or enemy status onto Solanis, because I'm tired of dealing with it and think it's the Champion's job. As well as teaching people how to defend, what to defend, and anything related to that.

I see my job as GM to represent the guild to the council. I report most everything the council is doing and has done to the guild yearly (or more, if it's busy) and try my best to gauge their opinions on things to pass along. I'm also the one who does the crappy political work no one wants to bother with. Making decisions on my own and actually wielding hard power has very little to do with my job description in my opinion.
Gregori2010-06-14 03:53:17
GA is Head of Novices with a fancy title.
ongaku2010-06-14 03:59:00
QUOTE (Gregori @ Jun 13 2010, 10:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
GA is Head of Novices with a fancy title.

See, that was my impression, but everyone is saying that it's so much more than that. :/ Granted, I'm responsible for working with progression for non-novices as well, but still. I figured it was Head of Novices plus GR20.