Want to learn about aetherships!

by Silvenae

Back to Survival Guide.

Silvenae2010-06-06 19:22:56
I recently started a new character in Gaudiguch. I have played Lusternia and other IRE games on and off for almost a decade now, but it's been a few years since I was a regular here and some things implemented since then confuse/scare me. The one aspect that I would most like to learn about/become involved in is aetherships/aetherspace/etc, especially since I have aspirations of using some time off from real life to reach demigod and I hear this is excellent bashing. I would LOVE if there was someone who could show me how aetherships work IG (my character is a member of Gaudiguch so you would also ideally be or at least not be from an unfriendly org.) It would be even more awesome if someone was looking for a child and happens to have a family ship/knowledge of aetherspace! I promise I'll be very active and you'll be proud to have me as a child. PM me if you want to talk IG and I'll tell you who I am!

Even if you can't help me out IG, maybe you can answer some of my questions here!

- What skill level in Aethercraft does one need to be to actually be of use as a crew member?
- How feasible is it to venture into Aetherspace for the purpose of bashing alone? If not at all feasible, how many people ARE needed?
- How big of an aethership is needed for bashing in Aetherspace? What is the lowest amount of gold/credits one could spend on a ship and have it be useful for bashing purposes?
- Is the great experience everyone speaks of in the creatures one encounters in space or in the bubbles of reality one can go to? What level should someone be to go out and not die?

Generally I just see a lot of speak about Aetherships/Aetherspace on the forums, but searching only reveals people talking about things that are over my head! If someone could tell me about aetherships/aetherspace from the ground up, I would really appreciate it and I'm sure future generations of players will appreciate having this information on the forums too! If it's already here, please direct me to it (I swear I searched) and I'll eat my words and delete this. Thanks!

Sylphas2010-06-06 19:44:45
QUOTE (Silvenae @ Jun 6 2010, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
- What skill level in Aethercraft does one need to be to actually be of use as a crew member?

I recommend to Modules, at Capable. Let's you do everything to a basic level.

- How feasible is it to venture into Aetherspace for the purpose of bashing alone? If not at all feasible, how many people ARE needed?

Pilot, empath, three gunners, someone on siphon. Usually an extra to hunt slivven, so seven. You can do with less, but it won't be as efficient.

- How big of an aethership is needed for bashing in Aetherspace? What is the lowest amount of gold/credits one could spend on a ship and have it be useful for bashing purposes?

At least six rooms. 350k for the fulcrux, 150k for each other room. 250k for the chair, 375k for guns, 75k for a collector, 150k for the grid. So about 2 million gold for a basic ship. You'd have a flimsy hull at that size though.

- Is the great experience everyone speaks of in the creatures one encounters in space or in the bubbles of reality one can go to? What level should someone be to go out and not die?

In aetherspace itself. The bubbles I can't really say much about, I don't get out there much.
Lehki2010-06-06 19:48:49
You can learn all the basic commands you'll need for modules at a very low skill level.

Aetherbashing by yourself really isn't feasible, and while possible without, I really doubt you'll ever see people going out without a full crew of pilot, empath, 3 gunners, and 1 or more siphoners. Possibly a slivven cleaner as well.

Depends on how good your pilot is really. I'd be comfortable hunting dragons in pretty small ship myself, but I'd imagine most people would probably shoot for 1.5-2k hull, not sure how many rooms or how much gold that would be though.

It's from encounters in actual aetherspace, not the bubbles.
Silvenae2010-06-06 19:51:05
Thanks guys! I hear some people talk about cities/families/other orgs having aetherships, is it pretty normal for orgs to have ships that multiple people share or are most ships privately owned/operated? Is it possible to seriously damage somebody's ship by taking it out, meaning people are wary of sharing their ships?
Eldanien2010-06-06 20:00:23
Orgs can have ships, and most (all?) do. Whether or not a random citizen can get access to it varies.

It's not possible to permanently damage an aethership, though if the ship implodes, the dust stored in the holds will be lost, as well as power being stored in the ship. If the owner regularly empties the holds and excess power, that's not a concern.

In Celest, there was a disturbing tendency for people to forget to clean up the slivven after an implosion, but I'm not seeing that happen so much now. Ship modules repair themselves slowly over time while docked (where they naturally wind up after an implosion) but the slivven remaining on the ship will damage modules so far down that it can take real hours to repair them all manually after cleaning up the slivven. Meaning the owner decides to use their aethership, finds a bunch of slivven on the ship.. and can reasonably expect not to be able to launch for hours.

When someone has spent that much money on a ship, it's annoying to find yourself unable to use it. The usual answer is to cut people off, or limit the access entirely to one's closest friends.
Kante2010-06-07 01:24:52
Wait...if an aethership implodes with slivven on it, EVERYONE dies, but the slivven just kinda stick around?

Mind = blown.
Lendren2010-06-07 01:26:58
Why not? If they're able to survive in aetherspace to sneak onto your ship surely they can survive when the ship caves in...
Felicia2010-06-07 02:15:05
QUOTE (Lendren @ Jun 6 2010, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why not? If they're able to survive in aetherspace to sneak onto your ship surely they can survive when the ship caves in...

Yeah, but the ship is imploding, and the slivvens are on the ship.

Humans can survive in air, but may not necessarily survive if a house collapses with them inside of it. You'd have no problem breathing, but that wouldn't matter if you're smashed by a large chunk of house. chin.gif

Also, if they can be killed with a sword, it stands to reason they can be killed by ship chunks.

P.S.: Don't take this post too seriously. pfft.gif
Kante2010-06-08 07:40:02
QUOTE (Lendren @ Jun 6 2010, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My reasoning is that...if a ship implodes, and is blown to tiny bits, and reforms elsewhere...how in the hell are the slivven STILL INSIDE?
Lendren2010-06-08 12:56:15
They clung to the broken pieces like a sailor clings to broken parts of a ship. Maybe implosion isn't as much about a complete rending as just a major breach in the hull that exposes everyone to raw aetherspace.

Come on, go with it. This is a lot less ridiculous than a dozen things you encounter every day, like knowing the names of people you never met who are on the other side of the world.