The Master Race

by Akraasiel

Back to Survival Guide.

Akraasiel2010-05-31 06:02:23
Contrary to the thread title, I'm not looking for anything concerning racial superiority. I'm more interested in looking at the individual races and finding their niches. What guilds do they work well with? What aspects of gameplay are harder or easier with them? What sort of quirks do they have? That sort of thing.

For instance, I'm wondering if harmony + psychometabolism can make up for the poor defensive qualities of faeling monks. Or if the boost to human experience makes up for their amazing lack of anything that stands out (even after full evolution). Does anyone without a cameo ever play a krokani and for what possible reason? I've also seen parhaps one igasho wandering about as well. What roles do they fill best?

The list of questions is neigh endless, but I really think a source of player-side experience on the races would be very helpful in this forum.

Personally, I've dealt with a lot of faelings, and dracnari, and I have to say, if you're an herbalist, faelings are a great way to make money. Faelings are also the kings of influence, especially as Shadowsingers, or any bardic guild in general. And by kings, I mean a bit absurd. The ability to fly is also fairly handy, but the small size is a pain when dealing with warriors.

As for dracnari, in general there aren't that many places to take advantage of basking or the volcanic regeneration. They're too well rounded, without specialization, to really excel at any single niche, and the sipping issue can be annoying at times. However, their resistances are perfectly tailored for gathering power if you're a member of Gaudiguch. I haven't had much experience with the Illuminated/Guardian forms of them yet though. How does that change the big picture?
Razenth2010-05-31 07:25:32
You'd be surprised at the stats of Demigod humans.
Sylphas2010-05-31 07:40:22
Going herbs again without being a faeling with a Gloves is one of might nightmares.
Akraasiel2010-05-31 07:40:33
QUOTE (Razenth @ May 31 2010, 03:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are they any more slanted than Demigod(anything else)?

How big of a difference %-wise does the human XP bonus make? Does it really make bashing faster than any other option (that would seem to be the point of the race, after all)

@ Sylphas: Preach the word of the faelings, brotha, that the heathen herbalists may repent!

Unknown2010-05-31 08:09:16
Master Race = Demigod Human
Unknown2010-05-31 08:21:14
If your goal is to level quickly, you go human. You get karma harmony blessing. You tell Veyrzhul to stop being silly and change the minor domoth blessing from Merian back to human. You become an elite member. You take lowmagic and learn up to autumn. You get a bunch of achievements up to one thing away from gaining the achievement. You then get a good aethercrew that is going to be around for about twelve hours. You pop all of your achievements and autumn, and start abashing, and activate a kiss of the fates. You are now demigod. Congratulations, you can reincarnate.
Razenth2010-05-31 08:24:45
Have someone willing to die for you, bash until one before, influence to one before, spar a shill, um... what else could you stack?
Unknown2010-05-31 08:27:26
FFA
Saran2010-05-31 08:52:18

and done
Esano2010-05-31 09:00:11
QUOTE (AllergictoSabres @ May 31 2010, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Congratulations, you can reincarnate.

Not that there's any reason to....
Ayden2010-05-31 09:02:23
Aetherhunted my way to Demi as a human and reincarnated into a Trill. I definitely love being a Trill more.
Akraasiel2010-05-31 09:05:55
QUOTE (Razenth @ May 31 2010, 04:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have someone willing to die for you, bash until one before, influence to one before, spar a shill, um... what else could you stack?

Multiple Highfavours
Siam2010-05-31 09:16:20
QUOTE (Razenth @ May 31 2010, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love my stats. smile.gif They surprise me sometimes because they tend to change due to domoth blessings, but overall, they're pretty well-rounded.
Unknown2010-05-31 12:37:09
QUOTE (Akraasiel @ May 31 2010, 01:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or if the boost to human experience makes up for their amazing lack of anything that stands out (even after full evolution).

lolwut

In addition to everything else that's been said, the other advantage humans have is that you won't suffer going from a monk to a mage like if you were, say, a loboshigaru. Or moving from city to city, when it comes to racial specs. So it's a smart choice for budget players especially.
Akraasiel2010-05-31 13:03:49
QUOTE (Vendetta Morendo @ May 31 2010, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lolwut

In addition to everything else that's been said, the other advantage humans have is that you won't suffer going from a monk to a mage like if you were, say, a loboshigaru. Or moving from city to city, when it comes to racial specs. So it's a smart choice for budget players especially.

Oh? Evolution stats adjust retroactively when you change archetype?
Diamondais2010-05-31 13:14:14
QUOTE (Saran @ May 31 2010, 04:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

and done

I love you laugh.gif

That was an awesome special.
Siam2010-05-31 13:22:59
QUOTE (Akraasiel @ May 31 2010, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh? Evolution stats adjust retroactively when you change archetype?

Yes.

Just so you'd get an idea of human demigod guardian stats:

| Dark Siam --------------------------------------------------------------|
| Strength : 18 Dexterity : 14 Constitution : 16 |
| Intelligence : 20 Size : 25 Charisma : 15

Do note that the stats above are affected by domoths, titan/demigod bonus,and size change (with the bonus str).

Those are actually a good base for karma blessings, platters, herofetes(not sure if they add a point), and other buffs you have access to.
Sylphas2010-05-31 16:24:42
Why do you need bonus str as a guardian? Why not the extra dex for stancing?
Janalon2010-05-31 17:26:39
QUOTE (Akraasiel @ May 31 2010, 02:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Contrary to the thread title, I'm not looking for anything concerning racial superiority. I'm more interested in looking at the individual races and finding their niches. What guilds do they work well with? What aspects of gameplay are harder or easier with them? What sort of quirks do they have? That sort of thing.

I know what your trying to get to by considering race BEFORE guild to examine those often picked-over races; though, I think your putting the cart before the horse. Race should compliment guild choice. I'm sure that I've posted on monk/race choices several times before, but I'd be happy to give this another shot.

Having said that, monks are dex fighters. I'd consider those races with the highest dex + str combinations (where dex is > than 15). Here are my tallies:

CODE
Str+Dex=
-=-=-=-=-
11 + 17 = 28 Illithoid              
12 + 16 = 28 Kephera (male)  
----------------------------
14 + 15 = 29 Loboshigaru      
12 + 16 = 28 Aslaran              
16 + 15 = 31 Krokani            
14 + 15 = 29 Human (95 monk)
9 + 17 = 26 Furrikin
7 + 18 = 25 Faeling

I'd place illithoid as best race for nekotai/ninjakari and male kephera as best race for shofungi (pun intended) and tahtetso. Can't say much about the bug race, though illithoid illdrain gives them an ungodly ego boost which enhances their ability to bloodboil as a psymet. Both races have good leanings towards the dex stat with a weapon bonus. These races make up the bulk of the monk brigade.

The next obvious choice is lobo and aslaran. Your lobo races will be tankier thanks to 16 con and level 3 regeneration. Playing a lobo psymet monk stacks regeneration. Even better if you have harmony regeneration. Aslaran are much squishier, but also hella quicker. Heard that aslaran balance bonus is quicker than the racial bonus to weapon speed as illithoid/kepheran male. Contemplating skillflexing and reincarnating as an aslaran acrobat (then I can make a better comparison between the two). An aslaran's charisma makes them the one of the best racial choices (outside faeling) for a monk influencer type.

Don't have much to say about humans that haven't been said about them already. Versatile, boring, and exp enhanced. Krokani, on the other hand, is a much overlooked option. Strength, enough dexterity, resistances to illusions and magic. Not bad for bashing (have no idea how they are for combat). Though, I hate krokani RP as the dumb monk...

Faeling... aah, faeling. Squishy, but hella quick. Monk faelings tend to be either/or an herbalist or combatant. Faeling acrobat with hyperactive? *shudder* Never played, but I've seen this combination quite a bit. People either tend to love or hate this combination (as I've seen a fair amount of people switching to and switching back). Furrikin? I'd consider them a lame cross between aslaran and faeling. None of the strength of an aslaran with sub-par speed when matched against a faeling.

Wouldn't consider any race with under 15 dex, or a negative bonus to balance.
Thul2010-05-31 18:13:37
Small aside.

Psymet tankiness is amusing, but unless you're going to burn credits to max it right away, most of the good stuff (Bloodboil) is too high up to carry you through your first squishy levels. Also, Psymet has nothing to make up for the sheer ridiculousness of an Acro faeling monk in combat. If you're planning on getting into combat, I would recommend learning to hit and run really well, or picking a good influencing race.