more skills advice

by Casilu

Back to Survival Guide.

Casilu2010-05-27 01:03:57
Well, I have 534 lessons sitting there as I was planning to trans tracking with them and realized that I would never use it. As it stands, I cannot pick what to do with the remaining lessons after I spent 1100 or so to trans highmagic. So, we have below the skills that I am currently not trans in with the last skill I have in them. Any advice relating with what to do with these lessons would be appreciated.

Discernment Virtuoso

Scan Scan the local area for signs of life.

Environment Expert

Tumbling Tumble past obstructions.

Influence Expert

Divert Draw attention to something new.

Beastmastery Novice
Dramatics Adept

Saintly Win debates with a saintly demeanor.

Arts Capable

Glasswork Fashion beautiful glasswork from gemstones.

Aethercraft Gifted

Distribution Distribute power to and from modules.
Razenth2010-05-27 01:58:06
Discernment, because aethersight is hella cool.
Sylphas2010-05-27 02:17:23
QUOTE (Razenth @ May 26 2010, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Discernment, because aethersight is hella cool.

This man speaks truth, aethersight IS hella cool. It also lasts through death, which is nice.
Zallafar2010-05-27 04:47:49
Beastmastery. Beasts are way fun and wayyyy useful.
Casilu2010-05-27 05:28:38
QUOTE (Zallafar @ May 26 2010, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Beastmastery. Beasts are way fun and wayyyy useful.

I will not put any more lessons into that skill than I've already wasted.
Veyrzhul2010-05-27 08:53:35
Why do you hate beastmastery? Very useful in combat.
Unknown2010-05-27 09:07:18
Influence! Since spamming influence through a four-day weekend while stuffed so full of energy drinks you can taste colours is fun!
Nienla2010-05-27 14:54:32
QUOTE (Veyrzhul @ May 27 2010, 04:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Except Casilu isn't a fighter. In that respect however, Aethersight also isn't very useful if you're not a fighter. Plus, you need a Gem of Cloaking to make full use of Aethersight.

Arts is good for utility, as is Environment. I'd probably learn more Influence though.
Unknown2010-05-27 16:24:03
Well, look at it in terms of "this will be fun for me".

Given what you have, I'd either go with Discernment (powersense, a few "big brother is watching" abilities)

Or influence (Amnesty is next, nice to be able to do that yourself)

Or environment (random movementy stuff, including rooftops. So you can be all, "this city needs a symbol")

Casilu2010-05-27 17:10:42
QUOTE (Veyrzhul @ May 27 2010, 01:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just don't get me started on my dislike of beastmastery. I know it is useful for combat, but I absolutely despise the way it is set up. The only reason any lessons are invested in it at all is because I had a few invested in riding.

QUOTE (Pectus Dawneye @ May 27 2010, 02:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Influence! Since spamming influence through a four-day weekend while stuffed so full of energy drinks you can taste colours is fun!

drunk.gif ?

QUOTE (Nienla @ May 27 2010, 07:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Except Casilu isn't a fighter. In that respect however, Aethersight also isn't very useful if you're not a fighter. Plus, you need a Gem of Cloaking to make full use of Aethersight.

Arts is good for utility, as is Environment. I'd probably learn more Influence though.

I used to be. sad.gif

Honestly, combat is my favorite part of the game, but with the way things are now and have been for a little while, I can't really fight effectively anymore.

QUOTE (Rainydays @ May 27 2010, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, look at it in terms of "this will be fun for me".

Given what you have, I'd either go with Discernment (powersense, a few "big brother is watching" abilities)

Or influence (Amnesty is next, nice to be able to do that yourself)

Or environment (random movementy stuff, including rooftops. So you can be all, "this city needs a symbol")

I'm likely going to trans discernment and environment, then. No point in trying to get amnesty myself since I don't really have good charisma.
Unknown2010-05-27 17:22:46
I had a hard time with Beastmastery at first, being confused on how it worked and slightly frustrated at having to train two or three beasts for different purposes. A custom beast changed all that for me.

I recommend paying cash for your amnesty, unless you really only need a few months reprieve. Still, you need the ability to pay the cash yourself, or you have to trust someone else with it.
Casilu2010-05-27 17:25:19
QUOTE (Zarquan @ May 27 2010, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I recommend paying cash for your amnesty, unless you really only need a few months reprieve. Still, you need the ability to pay the cash yourself, or you have to trust someone else with it.

I thought parley was the gold one which I already do have.
Veyrzhul2010-05-27 17:31:34
QUOTE (casilu @ May 27 2010, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used to be. sad.gif

Honestly, combat is my favorite part of the game, but with the way things are now and have been for a little while, I can't really fight effectively anymore.

What exactly has changed? I'd personally advise that you switch to the guardian guild once it's released. Maybe you should save lessons for that.
Casilu2010-05-27 17:37:31
QUOTE (Veyrzhul @ May 27 2010, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What exactly has changed? I'd personally advise that you switch to the guardian guild once it's released. Maybe you should save lessons for that.

Laptop power cable. My one that worked fine broke (again), so now I'm back on the off-brand one which slows down my computer, but works. In any sort of combat spam, I get a good few seconds of client-side lag. Maybe sometimes even 20 or so.
Veyrzhul2010-05-27 17:49:17
Oh, I thought it was something related to game mechanics. Good luck getting a new computer asap!
Casilu2010-05-27 18:35:33
QUOTE (Veyrzhul @ May 27 2010, 10:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, I thought it was something related to game mechanics. Good luck getting a new computer asap!

Not so much new computer as replacement power cable... again.
Siam2010-05-27 19:25:33
Don't be sad, Casilu. Have a siam.
Zalandrus2010-05-27 21:03:23
The trans influence ability is amazing (and probably an influence lifesaver for low cha races).

Also, I know you dislike it, but Bodyguard in Beastmastery is also amazing; like a rune of absorption, plus I get to have a cool eagle follow me around.
Casilu2010-05-27 23:57:42
QUOTE (Zalandrus Meyedsun @ May 27 2010, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, I know you dislike it, but Bodyguard in Beastmastery is also amazing; like a rune of absorption, plus I get to have a cool eagle follow me around.

I will keep influence in mind.

Just pretend beastmastery does not exist.
Unknown2010-07-11 06:14:14
I'm unsure where to post this, and I cannot start my own so here it goes. Besides the three main skills what else is important for a Geomancer to learn in order to be effective in combat? And what's the level that is recommended I guess I should say before attempting pvp combat?