My First Nine-Stanza Song

by Felicia

Back to Creative Arts.

Felicia2010-04-09 14:33:16
Okay, technically, this "song" will actually comprise two poetic quatrains distributed into four Lusternian stanzas each, and ending with a couplet that gets one Lusternian stanza all to itself. It also utilizes perfect rhyme, which is considered rather amateurish these days... but hey, I couldn't care less. I like rhyming.

Behold! Mother Night is richly swath'd
In samite of depthless ebon hue;
Upon her hair is wreath'd a crown
Of silv'ry pinpricks: dark sky's distant dew.

Beware the gloaming, all who oppose!
Lest savage malisons scourge your mind;
Should you glimpse a cloak of twilit pinions,
Brother Crow, unseen, surely follows close behind.

F'ai Glomdoring! Our clarion call! Ring triumphant, for our enemies doth fall.
Siam2010-04-09 14:59:28
QUOTE (Felicia @ Apr 9 2010, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay, technically, this "song" will actually comprise two poetic quatrains distributed into four Lusternian stanzas each, and ending with a couplet that gets one Lusternian stanza all to itself. It also utilizes perfect rhyme, which is considered rather amateurish these days... but hey, I couldn't care less. I like rhyming.

Behold! Mother Night is richly swath'd
In samite of depthless ebon hue;
Upon her hair is wreath'd a crown
Of silv'ry pinpricks: dark sky's distant dew.

Beware the gloaming, all who oppose!
Lest savage malisons scourge your mind;
Should you glimpse a cloak of twilit pinions,
Brother Crow, unseen, surely follows close behind.

F'ai Glomdoring! Our clarion call! Ring triumphant, for our enemies doth fall.

Congratulations! You are now a hired writer for the Glomdoring Library!

smile.gif
Ileein2010-04-09 15:01:47
Very good! I like it!

I wonder if anyone's ever done a bard version of "This is the Song that Never, Ever Ends." /random
Felicia2010-04-09 21:37:29
QUOTE (thisismydisplayname @ Apr 9 2010, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Congratulations! You are now a hired writer for the Glomdoring Library!

smile.gif

Awesome!

(Do you mean that literally? What does it entail, other than the obvious?)

QUOTE (Ileein @ Apr 9 2010, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very good! I like it!

I wonder if anyone's ever done a bard version of "This is the Song that Never, Ever Ends." /random

Thank you! And, I hope not....
Rika2010-04-09 21:49:19
Yay rhyming!

Just wondering, what is a Lusternian stanza?
Zallafar2010-04-09 22:01:45
QUOTE (rika @ Apr 9 2010, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The usual definition of stanza is "an arrangement of a certain number of lines, usually four or more, ..." but for bard's composition skill each line is referred to as a stanza.
Talan2010-04-09 22:03:17
Each 75 character-max line of a bard song is a stanza.

I like the rhyming and I love this song! It is a good line for your dirge, too!
Felicia2010-04-10 00:30:17
QUOTE (rika @ Apr 9 2010, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's just a made-up phrase I'm using because of Lusternia's game mechanics. Typically, bards will only assign one line of verse to each "stanza" in our songs. Not only is there a character limit, but running two discrete verses together on one line (instead of having them on separate lines) might ruin the flow of the song/poem.

In the real world, a stanza comprises a couplet (two lines), tercet (three lines), quatrain (four lines), or so on and so forth. You'll note there's no option for a one-line stanza, thus the discrepancy in terminology when comparing real-life terms to Lusternian game mechanics.

(Yay unnecessarily long elaboration? laugh.gif)

Thank you all for the compliments! Especially Talan, our guild Champion! worthy.gif
Siam2010-04-20 17:09:45
QUOTE (Felicia @ Apr 10 2010, 05:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awesome!

(Do you mean that literally? What does it entail, other than the obvious?)

It means I'll be expecting written works from you IG. superninja.gif
Felicia2010-04-24 14:29:00
QUOTE (thisismydisplayname @ Apr 20 2010, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It means I'll be expecting written works from you IG. superninja.gif

Huh! For some reason, I hadn't noticed there were new replies to this thread until approximately fifteen seconds ago. dazed.gif

I will certainly be writing pamphlets, books, songs, poems, descriptions, designs, and plays, all in due time. At the moment, however, I am focused on reading other players' books, soaking up Lusternian lore, and mastering the basics of gameplay, not to mention wrangling unruly aliases, triggers, and variables.
Siam2010-04-24 14:46:04
QUOTE (Felicia @ Apr 24 2010, 10:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Huh! For some reason, I hadn't noticed there were new replies to this thread until approximately fifteen seconds ago. dazed.gif

I will certainly be writing pamphlets, books, songs, poems, descriptions, designs, and plays, all in due time. At the moment, however, I am focused on reading other players' books, soaking up Lusternian lore, and mastering the basics of gameplay, not to mention wrangling unruly aliases, triggers, and variables.

Excellent! suspicious.gif