Working on a design

by Unknown

Back to Survival Guide.

Unknown2010-04-07 05:41:10
So yeah, i 'm working on a design and i try to think of how I'll use the commodities, if they are available. So before i can even work on my design i need a question answered:

Besides the sand from the Isle of Light, is there any other place to get sand?
Xiel2010-04-07 06:31:43
Only other places I can think of to get sand come from manifestations or the viscanti in the Presidio.
Esano2010-04-07 06:32:41
And if you use dreaming sands to make designs, you will never be forgiven.
Xiel2010-04-07 06:53:15
^That.
Zalandrus2010-04-07 12:20:20
If you need more than 10 sands, I think you're being too liberal with commodities (unless this is like a throne, in which case you'd probably need more sand than the world ever produces ever). You can be fairly liberal within reason with comms...and if you're trying to use sand for something like glass, you could always just use gems.
Sylphas2010-04-07 13:48:31
QUOTE (Zalandrus Meyedsun @ Apr 7 2010, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you need more than 10 sands, I think you're being too liberal with commodities (unless this is like a throne, in which case you'd probably need more sand than the world ever produces ever). You can be fairly liberal within reason with comms...and if you're trying to use sand for something like glass, you could always just use gems.

And if you use 10 sand, you risk running into being rejected for "this interferes with a power quest," even if it's an item that is only mean to ever be made once, and even if anyone could ruin it just as easily without the design existing. dry.gif
Unknown2010-04-07 13:58:00
QUOTE (Sylphas @ Apr 7 2010, 09:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And if you use 10 sand, you risk running into being rejected for "this interferes with a power quest," even if it's an item that is only mean to ever be made once, and even if anyone could ruin it just as easily without the design existing. dry.gif

I'm sure hoards of older players will disagree with me here, but quests are supposed to be... quests. Just because they are static (the Gods can't design millions of them after all), doesn't mean they should be treated as gold/experience/essence/power-producing factories IC. Denying a crafting design because one of its components is "used for a power quest" borders on meta-gaming, in my opinion.

Also, I find it somewhat frightening that Lusternia is a world in which it's cheaper and easier to make glass out of precious gemstones than sand.
Sylphas2010-04-07 14:13:40
QUOTE (Cambrian @ Apr 7 2010, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, I find it somewhat frightening that Lusternia is a world in which it's cheaper and easier to make glass out of precious gemstones than sand.

That's just an odd quirk of gemstones. If all commodities were the same price, gemstone would still be cheaper because you cut multiple from one gems comm. It leads to a world where diamond is low class and wood and metals are expensive and rare.

But you're right about the power quest. Hell, I destroyed the pixie quest for an hour myself, just to test how many leaves you can actually get at one time. World did not end. Wouldn't do it when we needed nuts, but otherwise it's not big deal.
Unknown2010-04-07 15:13:08
QUOTE (Zalandrus Meyedsun @ Apr 7 2010, 07:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am not planning to use 10 sands, and I'm not turning it into glass. I wanted to make something that had used packed sand because I didn't think we had a way in game to obtain sandstone (yes I am aware that packed sand and sandstone aren't the same, but I have 2 designs in case I cannot obtain a certain commodity)
Lendren2010-04-07 16:21:48
Generally speaking, odd as it sounds, you can use marble comms for any kind of stone. I am sure you could get one using marble for sandstone to pass. (Not that using sand might not also work.)
Xiel2010-04-07 20:47:14
Marble for sandstone is a better alternative that would work for any other stone as well, really.
Shaddus2010-04-08 03:57:01
Try the sand from the Gaudi power quest.
Unknown2010-04-08 04:51:02
QUOTE (Shaddus Mes'ard @ Apr 7 2010, 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Try the sand from the Gaudi power quest.

Doh! I forgot about that sand. But i might try a bit a marble too. Thanks guys!
Unknown2010-04-08 19:27:53
This thread has inspired me. I'm going to make a design using the Dreamer Sands(if they let me). Bwahahahaha.