Divine Prayers

by Atellus

Back to Survival Guide.

Atellus2010-01-08 19:12:26
I am not sure if this question is something that can be answered or not but does anyone know how the pray command works? If I pray at the alter of a divine who is not currently logged on does that prayer get saved, or do they only see it if they are present in the realms?

More generally speaking how do you go about contacting a divine? Messages are so OOC for me that I just can never bring myself to send one to a divine. It also just seems weird to send them a letter, though it is better than a message.
Shaddus2010-01-08 19:22:13
As far as I know, prayers are like messages for Gods, but IC.
Unknown2010-01-08 19:49:43
Yup yup. Sending them letters is perfectly acceptable as well.
Atellus2010-01-08 21:35:14
Are you sure the prayers are saved as messages? I guess it is not a huge deal, I like the RP of sending out a prayer now and then, but I would like to think I was doing more than just talking to myself =P
Unknown2010-01-08 21:36:42
I'm almost 100% sure prayers get saved. I sent one up when a god was not around (or at least appeared not to be), and I saw the results of it many hours later.
Kalikai2010-01-08 23:21:02
Prayers are received as messages if offline or displayed immediately if online.
Raezon2010-01-09 03:10:28
Most of us consider messages an entirely ooc medium, so prayers are the way to go if you mean it to be IC.
Atellus2010-01-09 19:49:05
Thanks, that is exactly what I was hoping was true =) I love the prayer command. It is another nice touch that lusternia has.

I sometimes wish the message command could not be used by players. It is just such an ooc thing. I admit though that they are a lot easier to deal with than letters. You can miss the fact that a letter has arrived and they can be a pain to organize.

Unknown2010-01-09 20:08:21
Do you really want to receive 100 letters when your vials decay? Messages are no more inherently ooc than tells are.
Atellus2010-01-09 23:06:00
QUOTE (Azoth Nae'blis @ Jan 9 2010, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you really want to receive 100 letters when your vials decay? Messages are no more inherently ooc than tells are.

A system message is not the same thing as a message from a player. I have no problem with system messages. I can see the argument that the tell system is the same as the message system but if that was the case then why are letters ever used?

I know a lot of people don't see messages as ooc so I have stopped trying to worry about it in game. It feels silly to reply to a message with a letter and often causes confusion. Still I can wish =)
Aoife2010-01-09 23:32:39
QUOTE (Atellus @ Jan 9 2010, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A system message is not the same thing as a message from a player. I have no problem with system messages. I can see the argument that the tell system is the same as the message system but if that was the case then why are letters ever used?

I know a lot of people don't see messages as ooc so I have stopped trying to worry about it in game. It feels silly to reply to a message with a letter and often causes confusion. Still I can wish =)

Letters are used because you can use line breaks in letters and put stuff in them. Messages are better for short communiques, such as, say, reminding someone that they need to turn in a design.
Shaddus2010-01-10 04:55:55
Something you should always remember about divine:

They may be online but not visible. For instance, today I sent Fain a prayer while I thought he was asleep, and -bam- he woke up and started tearing people a new arse. That doesn't mean they will suddenly become visible or respond to you (believe it or not, a handful of these people have lives outside Lusternia.) but they'll get to it when humanly possible.