Darned Tempests!

by Unknown

Back to Chronicles of the Basin.

Unknown2010-01-08 12:13:13
I was chasing a tempest around the forest then this happened:

A flash of light streaks down from the heavens, slamming with a horrific roar somewhere within the forest.
Twisting, howling winds congeal, tearing through their surroundings with a sickening, violent vehemence.

I've been, I'm still chasing a tempest or two, putting out the fires for almost an hour now.
There're just 3 of us Gloms awake! The most annoying part is it loves to stay at the Spider's Larder which is obviously full of annoying spiders T_T

What do the fires do anyway? Burn trees? herbs?

Unknown2010-01-08 13:04:26
Stop putting them out so we can find out.
Unknown2010-01-08 14:31:25
But they hurt *flap*
Jack2010-01-08 14:31:55
BURN
Diamondais2010-01-08 15:02:19
QUOTE (MakuiLet @ Jan 8 2010, 07:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was chasing a tempest around the forest then this happened:

I've been, I'm still chasing a tempest or two, putting out the fires for almost an hour now.
There're just 3 of us Gloms awake! The most annoying part is it loves to stay at the Spider's Larder which is obviously full of annoying spiders T_T

What do the fires do anyway? Burn trees? herbs?

room fires burn herbs, and obviously, hurt people who walk through!
Lendren2010-01-08 17:00:28
And spread.
Unknown2010-01-08 17:34:48
Huzzah! I should just leave the fires for the herbalists to douse em then! suspicious.gif lol Kidding!
Lendren2010-01-08 20:39:25
The Moonhart Mother Tree flares with chromatic colours, as Ameryth steps out of it, looking remarkably fresh and vitalized.
The air clears slightly as the foul air blows away.
The air churns vehemently as a foul, noxious wind blows in.
The air clears slightly as the foul air blows away.
Ameryth is caught up in a foul, noxious wind as it drags him through the trees.
Ameryth has been poisoned by a howling wind.

These things are very harsh to the young.
Lorina2010-01-08 20:43:29
Ugh, that does suck when it appears at the nexus. If there is no one strong to kill it, they have a chance of dying over and over sad.gif
Unknown2010-01-08 20:43:52
Does Innocence stop it? Guards ought to be able to subdue them or something.
Shaddus2010-01-08 20:44:39
QUOTE (Azoth Nae'blis @ Jan 8 2010, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does Innocence stop it? Guards ought to be able to subdue them or something.

Pretty sure it doesn't, and they won't.
Eventru2010-01-08 20:45:45
Took a glance - the tempests shouldn't attack people under lvl 40 (though its room attacks might hit them), it should move away from nexuses 99% of the time. The winds themselves blow people below a certain level around, but it doesn't hurt them.
Lendren2010-01-08 20:47:28
That wasn't a tempest though. Ameryth died to a tempest, conglutinated, and in the process of reappearing at the nexus while conglutinating, got hit by one of those bounce-you-around-and-do-damage winds, and that killed him immediately, in the same instant, for a second death. I don't know what level Ameryth is, but whatever level he is, the wind still hit him and was able to one-shot him instantly. So either the level threshhold for them doing damage isn't working, or maybe it's too low if one-shotting someone while they conglutinate isn't what's intended.
Unknown2010-01-08 20:49:41
The tempests should get stronger will each kill as they devour the essence of their prey. Soulless don't kill for the fun of it, after all worthy.gif
Lendren2010-01-08 20:51:32
They do seem to get stronger every time someone else comes into the room.
Unknown2010-01-08 20:58:11
I thought they powered-up once they got down to a certain amount of health. Could be both, shrug. I can't solo one, that's fer sure, unless I get a lucky annihilating crit.
Unknown2010-01-08 21:05:25
QUOTE (Lendren @ Jan 8 2010, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That wasn't a tempest though. Ameryth died to a tempest, conglutinated, and in the process of reappearing at the nexus while conglutinating, got hit by one of those bounce-you-around-and-do-damage winds, and that killed him immediately, in the same instant, for a second death. I don't know what level Ameryth is, but whatever level he is, the wind still hit him and was able to one-shot him instantly. So either the level threshhold for them doing damage isn't working, or maybe it's too low if one-shotting someone while they conglutinate isn't what's intended.

Don't you have to be killed off Prime to conglutinate or is dying in your org territory an exception to that?
Unknown2010-01-08 21:05:36
I do better against them solo than with a group.
Unknown2010-01-08 21:06:06
QUOTE (vinc456 @ Jan 8 2010, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't you have to be killed off Prime to conglutinate or is dying in your org territory an exception to that?

Org territory counts, too, yes.
Xenthos2010-01-08 23:12:42
QUOTE (Zarquan @ Jan 8 2010, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do better against them solo than with a group.

I would say that this is an example of bad luck, then.

My notes from hunting tempests:
1) They have a life-leech attack. If this cycles a few times in a row, they will look darned-near invincible. If not, a group tears through them extremely quickly (assuming a group of demi+, I guess, with high crit rates)
2) When they are hit, occasionally there is a message that they grow stronger (I'm not entirely sure if this is health restoration, or them getting stronger hits, or what, but when I've been soloing one I've seen the message a few times in the duration of the fight)
3) A WSC from a 1her seems to do about a bit less than half its health in damage.

And, in terms of the clouds: Getting moved around does indeed do damage. You get moved a few rooms (no damage), and when you are deposited in the last room you receive the message: "Your flesh corrodes away beneath the hungering, acidic winds." This does about 150 damage to me with all of my poison resist. I can see how it might sting for a level one, or if you keep getting hit by it repeatedly as a low level.