Trying to improve my char...

by Unknown

Back to Survival Guide.

Unknown2009-09-30 17:58:37
So here are how my skills look right now...thinking about forgetting some and moving the lessons else where so my guy will do better at fighting and hunting. Any suggestions?

Common Skills Rank Pool
------------- ------------ ------------
Combat Gifted Melee
Resilience Master Fitness
Discernment Master Intellect
Magic Inept Arcana
Planar Transcendent Mysticism
Discipline Adept Willpower
Environment Gifted Communion
Influence Expert Magnetism
Beastmastery Apprentice Magnetism
Dramatics Inept Performance
Arts Capable Finearts
Highmagic Capable Arcana
Aethercraft Capable Mysticism

Trade Skills Rank Pool
Forging Inept Melee

Guild Skills Rank Pool
Knighthood Adept Melee
Athletics Novice Fitness
Hunting Capable Communion
Unknown2009-09-30 18:08:09
Forget Hunting and take up whatever your alternative choice is for this character.

Transcendent Planar before guild skills is a little ridiculous, even before the change to lower Conglutinate to Expert. You definitely need your skill specializations to do anything in PvP, and more Knighthood means missing less in PvE.
Unknown2009-09-30 18:12:05
Alternative choice to hunting for my char is totems. Is it really better then hunting?
Llandros2009-09-30 18:22:32
QUOTE (Black Dragon @ Sep 30 2009, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alternative choice to hunting for my char is totems. Is it really better then hunting?

totems is good for everything
Unknown2009-09-30 21:03:28
So should I just forget everything and learn my skills a different way or just keep going and focus on class skills right now? I'm 79 and 81.33% to 80...and right now hunting is a pain in the butt...and I want to get into combat even though I am on nexus...
Unknown2009-09-30 21:07:16
Forgetting everything will incur a heavy lesson loss, minimum 20%, so unless you're going to buy a batch of credits to offset it, just keep going with your guild skills from here on out.

And, I highly recommend you look into another client (MUSHclient is free and very good) unless there's a very good reason you're relegated to using Nexus.
Unknown2009-09-30 21:11:10
Using nexus because I get on the comp at the library and they won't let me download nexus...will switch when I can afford to get my own comp and internet assess.
Unknown2009-09-30 21:23:43
That's your very good reason then. smile.gif
Unknown2009-10-01 13:55:58
I see environment is at gifted. Tumble is at master, the next skill level up so that's something to think about as well.

Discernment is also at master- potionlist is at 50% master, so if you don't have it, I'd go ahead and get that- it makes your life much easier all around.

If you're being frugal with your lessons, I'd boost up Athletics first- it's at novice, and relatively cheaply you'll be able to get to Adept for regeneration (50% capable) and resistance (0% Adept), which are both worthwhile to have.

Skill wise, hunting/tracking doesn't do much for you in direct combat. There's a sum total of one defense-camouflage, no DMP at all, no active offense past your traps to speak of. Your bond can clamp, but is a pinata while able to do so. It can be a fun skillset, but if you're looking to do better in straight fights, it's crap.

With totems, Night/Moon are generally considered your best options, assuming you eventually get them to transcendent, because you'll get Nightkiss or Drawdown which both improve your weapons when active, and give you 24 DMP to all sources, which is a 22% reduction in damage. Stag and Crow have some neat toys (stagtotem, medicinebag, crow "my limbs don't break" facepaint, eyeballs, wings, other toys) but generally speaking these aren't considered to make up for not having Nightkiss/Drawdown.

Unknown2009-10-01 15:20:59
Alright thanks everyone. I appreciate the help. Already got tumble and potionlist. Made sure those were a must. I hate not knowing what potions I still have...will work on the rest. Again thanks. Keep the advice coming if you have anything new. Anything I can do to make my character better I'm willing to do except change guilds. I like being a knight to much.
Unknown2009-10-02 10:59:06
That all sounded like horrible advice to me. Forget hunting -UNLESS- you want to become a pureblade. Trans your knighthood skill first, as that helps pvp, and pve. Athletics to whatever the skill is that lets you convert mana to health, better. Aside from that learn enough discipline to selfishness at least. Learn as much combat as you can. Then finally magic and resilience.

Oh yea, you could always just floppy mushclient smile.gif it isn't actually downloading if you do it that way!
Tervic2009-10-02 16:00:19
QUOTE (krin1 @ Oct 2 2009, 03:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That all sounded like horrible advice to me. Forget hunting -UNLESS- you want to become a pureblade. Trans your knighthood skill first, as that helps pvp, and pve. Athletics to whatever the skill is that lets you convert mana to health, better. Aside from that learn enough discipline to selfishness at least. Learn as much combat as you can. Then finally magic and resilience.

Oh yea, you could always just floppy mushclient smile.gif it isn't actually downloading if you do it that way!

I know some librarys have blockers that won't let you run stuff off disk. Plus, they usually mean "no outside software" when they say "no downloading".

I don't know if Transmute is necessary (or worth it), but regeneration certainly is, as are just about all of the defenses offered in Athletics. Resilience is better than magic (resist venoms, pve). Combat is a purely 100% pvp skillset. Don't need it at his level. Ditto for magic. I do agree that selfishness is good to have.

Totems is just chock full of utility (scent, waterbreathing, sprint, leap, climbing, etc) Rainydays actually offers very sound advice.

There's a lot more utility to be gained that transing knighthood can't hold a candle to. So you'll miss a bit more, but you'll be able to escape/survive a lot better by investing midway through a more diverse skillset of Athletics, totems and discipline.