Reflections of Characters

by Unknown

Back to Chronicles of the Basin.

Unknown2009-09-17 00:43:13
Just an option for you to talk about what your character was supposed to be, what they became, and what you feel they are now. I'd start, but I don't want to feel pretentious.
Lendren2009-09-17 01:28:49
My character was supposed to be a quiet, unassuming, unnoticed fellow who kept his pretentiousness to himself. Well, at least I got the pretentiousness part right!
Aerotan2009-09-17 01:47:44
Torre...He started out as a way to see the other side of the coin. He was my Magnagoran alt. Somehow I got the idea of a turncoat into my head, and coupled with the fact that I don't really care for Mag, for some reason, I decided to guildhop him to the Celestines.

He was actually happy there, especially with his family. He was supposed to be this playful, eternally cheerful puppy, and the Celestines and Dekovens let him do so without assuming that it also meant he couldn't be productive, which he was. When Bahna and the other Aslaran showed up, he was genuinely concerned for the lioness. And he showed a lot of interest in the golden-eyed bard Mai.

When I went inactive, apparently everyone else did too, though, and when I came back, Celest was a different city. everyone was always gung-ho about fighting. Bad for pacifist Torre. And with Eventru saying there was no way to cleanse Taint from a soul, Torre was genuinely worried about himself, to the point where the only thing he felt for a while was lost.

Then he found out about Maylea, his friend Lady Mai. He went to Her fulcrux, and fell in love with the calm and peace of it. And when one of Maylea's Dryads mentioned that he was welcome there, he decided to leave Celest. He never reconciled himself, though, with the fact that Celestia turned him into a new person, one he was happy with.

As far as roleplay is concerned, at the moment, he's hiding under a rock until this war is over, and he can go see Raziela again. Once more lost and confused, the puppy be.

As an aside, I'll do one of these for any of my characters on request.
Diamondais2009-09-17 01:59:22
Dylara was meant to be an escape away from political stuff, advancement, undersec, sec, etc. that would just quietly go about her way in her studies of nature and Hart.

Didn't stay that way long, not with someone badgering her to become an undersec and moving up fast. whatthe.gif

Now she's pretty much just back to quiet, but gets to plot and cackle in the shadows. rolleyes.gif
Everiine2009-09-17 02:01:03
Hmm, a reflection on Everiine...

Everiine started out as a shy little Trill with a broken wing who had no idea why he was a warrior. He would spend his early days exploring and learning about his new home. Everything was seen through rose-colored glasses, and Ev was actually quite a bit friendlier and happier in his appearance and actions.

I think the era Ev most grew was in his loyalty to his fellow Serenguard. While he is loyal to all the Seren, during the rough times when accusations were being flung about every which way, Ev began to put more and more of his personal trust into the only people that didn't seem to ever turn their back on him, his kin.

Now, Ev is fiercely dedicated to his tribe, perhaps to the point where if he had to choose, he would choose them over any other Seren. Having lost his mate and family to wandering and sleep, he treats them like his own family. While this means that he would fight for them until he had no more strength, and he honestly cares what they are feeling and who they are as people, he can be a bit overzealous. He will always take the word of his kin over anyone else's, and though the Seren are his people, he doesn't view them the same way as his kin.

All in all, I like where Ev has come and gone, and hope that I'll be able to keep evolving him (provided that classes don't chase me out of the game again).
Karel2009-09-17 02:04:01
Karel strives to embody what he sees in those around him: Sthai's aloof "I'm-superior-and-don't-forget-it" nature, Esano's perceptiveness, Iytha's vast knowledge. Coupled with what he knows of Magnagora's history, he realizes that he is, in fact, far greater than the lesser denizens of the Basin, and he tries to look at those of other orgs with measured disdain. (yes, the part about his superiority was satirical.)
But at heart, he just wants everyone to get along, and often is very conflicted about how he should treat a foreigner when he meets them the first time.
Unknown2009-09-17 02:53:28
QUOTE (diamondais @ Sep 16 2009, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now she's pretty much just back to quiet, but gets to plot and cackle in the shadows. rolleyes.gif

Oho?

On Ried:

Since Ried is my first character on a MUD ever, I intended to simply observe, to keep her quiet and studious and a good little druid who did not interfere or play a large role. She was very naive, but very faithful.

However, she quickly became an undersec and a secretary and has been GM twice. I'm still not sure how it happened.

But now, I intend to keep her from the limelight permanently. I hope it goes just as planned.
Diamondais2009-09-17 03:07:32
QUOTE (Ried @ Sep 16 2009, 10:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oho?

my life is too busy for more sad.gif
Unknown2009-09-17 03:53:44
QUOTE (diamondais @ Sep 16 2009, 11:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my life is too busy for more sad.gif

sad.gif

Are you still thinking of getting Dy married again?
Unknown2009-09-17 04:37:22
Never had plans for Synl beyond 'Ooh, text-based games, interesting.' Ended up becoming a POWERHOUSE in various arenas, mainly through unscrupulous use of alliances forged in the heat of Bellators. Went from Serious Business to Crazy Old Uncle to Why Am I Still Posting.

Good stuff.
Unknown2009-09-17 05:14:19
Maellio started out as a simple furrikin, shy and quite on the side of introverted. For nearly a year he spoke almost nothing, it was the guild requirements and more importantly Shayle's interest in the strange little furrikin mime who brought him out of his shell. Life was good and simple: he made friends, got into skunking battles, buried his nose in a good book or twelve, and even wooed a lady or two. Pity optimism and good-heartedness aren't qualities of the Glomdoring.

This didn't last, even though he's certainly kept his good-heartedness (for a given value of good and heart), his optimism was quite quickly eaten away by fallings out, people disappearing, and a general sense that the Glomdoring (though his home) would never truly fit with his ideology. It was his friends and more importantly family (in the form of Eliron et al) that really tied him back to the Glomdoring, they're all he cares for in Glom.

All in all Maellio's become far more bitter internally than I had hoped, though given his tendency to treat enemies as equals and question the world it was somewhat a given. He's also become far more of a schemer and manipulator than I originally planned, made even more complicated by the fact that he still maintains a strict policy of honesty. Probably also a little more than a bit crazy.
Sthai2009-09-17 06:38:51
I made Sthai as a lolmerian in Mag. She was intended to be maybe thirty minutes to an hour of amusement before I moved on to the next MUD. Aiakon and Nariah were the only ones who convinced me to make an honest go at it. For the longest time, the character was intended to be purely temporary before a side project started up, leading to a string of me trying to get Sthai thrown out of the city, starting the process of moving to Glom, or have her driven nuts.

It never quite worked out. Eventually, she became a GM, HP of Fain, and a few other things.
Nariah2009-09-17 12:51:52
QUOTE (Sthai @ Sep 17 2009, 08:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For the longest time, the character was intended to be purely temporary before a side project started up, leading to a string of me trying to get Sthai thrown out of the city, starting the process of moving to Glom, or have her driven nuts.
Not on my watch! pissed.gif

Nariah was my first attempt at an 'evil' character after I spent the previous five years of MUDing on being a Goody Two-Shoes, and I was totally unsure if I can even pull it off since it was a friend who talked me into choosing Magnagora. My initial comments about Viscanti were, 'Eww no! They're ugly!'. ohyeah.gif She was to be a quiet and obedient priestess who devotes herself purely to religious pursuits. Slowly and surely people around her like Nepthysia, Aiakon, Sthai, Veonira, Othero, Morvior, etc propelled a change.

And she's been the Heresiarch to remember, Morgfyre's Chosen, on Fain's Council, and now the Warlady. Funny how things go. suspicious.gif
Mihewi2009-09-17 13:12:00
I made Mihewi so I could poke around the organizations and do their collegium quests. Because I was bored. She was meant to be a scholarly mugwump rogue who I would keep around for a week or two until I felt like drowning her in a swamp. Then I would run off to The Inquisition or something focused on pure roleplay.

I had her join Glomdoring and the Shadowdancers because... well... I liked that one collegium quest with the pages scattered throughout. The emits were interesting (the pages forming themselves in different ways and all that). And also because being a rogue got boring and I figured I might get another week's entertainment out of it if I did so. Also because the mugwump pictured on the racial page was a Shadowdancer.

The only reason I probably stayed longer than I intended was because I got snagged by a family that was actually into roleplay. And that kept me in the game for just long enough to get into all the other stuff... I remember how motivated I was to be involved in all the commune stuff when I first started.

I have no idea why I'm still around. No family, no kids to RP with... Megalith's pretty much silent whenever I'm around... which isn't terribly often. Even if there are like ten people standing there. Guess I hope that the motivation I had as a Glom newbie will return for some reason or another. Hasn't happened yet, but eh... it could.
Rancoura2009-09-17 21:20:19
With Lusternia being my first MUD and Rancoura being my first character, and this whole experience being my first with true roleplay, I didn't create Rancoura with anything in particular in mind. I chose Glomdoring because the idea of a dark, foreboding forest - and actually belonging to it, appealed to me greatly. I chose the Shadowdancers partially because I was interested in Wicca at the time, with the other partiality being the concept of worshipping a female Deity-like being.

To be fair, though, the decision to settle with the Shadowdancers before starting the novice tour was a difficult one - it was a toss-up between the Nihilists and the Coven. But, my being more nature-inclined than industrial, Glomdoring won out.

In her first years, I was just learning about this new type of story-game, with Rancoura's own proper roleplay being scarcely existent. I loved how, upon logging in, I became immersed in another world. The roleplay back then and the atmosphere, I suppose, was just that good. Not too long after, however, things in the Coven started moving downhill. Activity was falling, people were disappearing - quite a few of you, I imagine, could guess the reason for this. So, while retaining contact with a few select people that might be referred to as her "friends", Rancoura fell into silence. This lasted for IC decades.

During this time, I had more of an opportunity to lay out how exactly I wanted her to be. She's had some experiences with leadership that have helped. But really looking into the teachings of Night and what it means to be one of Her followers are what have affected her the most.

Essentially, a young Trill with no true definition of personality and purpose was shaped by that which she devoted herself to for the sole reason of not feeling like she would belong anywhere else. Glomdoring and the Shadowdancers (the two things she lives for), and those people she looked up to influenced her to become what she is today. In retrospect, she isn't what I feel she could have been, but I'm not completely dissatisfied with her. I've strayed many times to different interests (i.e. alts, different MUDS altogether, etc.), but I've always come back to her within less than a couple weeks or so. At the moment, though, with all the causes for grief happening in Lusternia, there are only a few reasons (albeit good ones) why I keep playing her/she keeps waking these days. Nostalgia, unwavering hope, determination, devotion and tenacity are among them, and apparently are enough.

Edit: Gods, that was long. My apologies - edited (yes, actually) for length.
Unknown2009-09-18 01:09:12
QUOTE (Rancoura. @ Sep 17 2009, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With Lusternia being my first MUD and Rancoura being my first character, and this whole experience being my first with true roleplay, I didn't create Rancoura with anything in particular in mind. I chose Glomdoring because the idea of a dark, foreboding forest - and actually belonging to it, appealed to me greatly. I chose the Shadowdancers partially because I was interested in Wicca at the time, with the other partiality being the concept of worshipping a female Deity-like being.

To be fair, though, the decision to settle with the Shadowdancers before starting the novice tour was a difficult one - it was a toss-up between the Nihilists and the Coven. But, my being more nature-inclined than industrial, Glomdoring won out.

In her first years, I was just learning about this new type of story-game, with Rancoura's own proper roleplay being scarcely existent. I loved how, upon logging in, I became immersed in another world. The roleplay back then and the atmosphere, I suppose, was just that good. Not too long after, however, things in the Coven started moving downhill. Activity was falling, people were disappearing - quite a few of you, I imagine, could guess the reason for this. So, while retaining contact with a few select people that might be referred to as her "friends", Rancoura fell into silence. This lasted for IC decades.

During this time, I had more of an opportunity to lay out how exactly I wanted her to be. She's had some experiences with leadership that have helped. But really looking into the teachings of Night and what it means to be one of Her followers are what have affected her the most.

Essentially, a young Trill with no true definition of personality and purpose was shaped by that which she devoted herself to for the sole reason of not feeling like she would belong anywhere else. Glomdoring and the Shadowdancers (the two things she lives for), and those people she looked up to influenced her to become what she is today. In retrospect, she isn't what I feel she could have been, but I'm not completely dissatisfied with her. I've strayed many times to different interests (i.e. alts, different MUDS altogether, etc.), but I've always come back to her within less than a couple weeks or so. At the moment, though, with all the causes for grief happening in Lusternia, there are only a few reasons (albeit good ones) why I keep playing her/she keeps waking these days. Nostalgia, unwavering hope, determination, devotion and tenacity are among them, and apparently are enough.

Edit: Gods, that was long. My apologies - edited (yes, actually) for length.

You don't have to! Nothing strictly wrong with a long post, it's what the thread is designed to inspire. I'll write mine when I'm not sleep deprived and sick.
Karel2009-09-18 06:24:56
What Rancoura did is kind of what I'm trying to do with Karel. No predefined roleplay. Just RP decided by what happens around him, from a very basic starting point.
Karel2009-09-18 06:25:13
Double post, my bad.
Kante2009-09-18 11:27:14
I'll do Tynghall, since Kante is way past defunct at this point.

I made Tynghall to try a new guild and new everything. I didn't expect to stick around, but Glomdoring kept me hooked. Really, the only RP I had starting out with Tyngh was "loyalist." After spending awhile in Glom, he went to Mag.

Tyngh as had a lot of firsts. First Order I've ever been in, after playing IRE games for six or so years now; first family I've ever started; and first manse I've ever owned. When Tyngh went to Mag, he bounced from Nihilists to Ur'Guard, and was in Fain's Order.

After going back to Glom, he ratted out a Fainite in Glom, and wound up cursed by Fain. Tyngh has went through BT, Nihilists, Ur'Guard, BT, Ebonguard, Harbingers, BT, Ebonguard. And over time, I've finally found a decent RP niche for him. I've slowly been evolving him into sort of a viking and shaman-like character.

Sorry if none of this makes sense. I'm normally going to bed at this time because I work third shift.
Tervic2009-09-19 16:05:29
QUOTE (Karel @ Sep 17 2009, 11:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What Rancoura did is kind of what I'm trying to do with Karel. No predefined roleplay. Just RP decided by what happens around him, from a very basic starting point.

I did the same thing. It's worked out pretty well, and people seem to love it when I act goofy around stuck up people.