Archives of Lusternian Lore

by Lendren

Back to Survival Guide.

Lendren2009-09-16 12:29:01
Now that the Archives of Lusternian Lore is up, I'd like to invite everyone to look it over and help me fill it out.

There's a lot of stuff that hasn't yet been set up, lots of pages as yet unfilled, much of which I'll be pulling from the Scrying Pool and any other sources that will let me.

We went ahead with announcing it since the Skills page is complete, with every AB file of every skill, and with accurate training levels for every skill listed. On those pages, I've added green boxes with additional explanations when the AB isn't clear or complete, but though I got info from a lot of people and sources, I obviously don't have everything, especially on skills with which I am less familiar. So I'm really hoping everyone else goes over those pages and sends me suggested additional notes, which you can do by forum PM, in-game message or letter, or on the Talk links on the pages themselves, if you're able to access those (not sure if you can). If there's anything that your guild's novices or newcomers often ask about what skills do or how they work, and you can sum up the answer in a few sentences or paragraphs, send it to me. (As this is an official Lusternia site, please keep your tone neutral, explanatory, and helpful, though.)

If you're interested in becoming a contributor able to edit pages, please get in touch with me. Unlike a true wiki, this one won't be wide open to everyone, but that doesn't mean you can't be part of the team. It just means that applying to work on it will be like applying for other jobs in Lusternia, you'll need to get approved by Estarra first.

A few subjects I'd be particularly eager to see some contributions on:
  • Quests: The quests page on the Scrying Pool is badly out of date and incomplete. While we won't be having any walkthroughs or hints, we could certainly hope to improve what we have. I'd like for each quest to have notes about what you will need (levels, special skills, a team, etc.) to complete it, what kind of rewards you can expect (in general terms), and what impact if any it has on the world (so people don't do conflict quests without realizing the repurcussions).
  • Hunting Guide: This could definitely use updating too.
  • Newbie Guide: I know a few people have written in-game guides for newbies. Anyone want to distill one down and add OOC stuff and make something that will help a true newbie get started?
By the way, I went through every artisanal ever submitted to find ones appropriate to each skill, and in some cases I had to really reach to find something that matched. So if you're looking for ideas for subjects for future artisanals, there's some areas that could use better coverage! I hope you like the art we picked, and to those who drew those pictures, thanks!
Unknown2009-09-16 13:06:40
Pages on areas (bashing, influencing, aetherbubbles, etc.), notable people (denizens and adventurers), political factions (organizations, guilds, orders, etc.)
Lendren2009-09-16 13:24:34
Check out the menu on the left, that's already laid out, just not all filled in quite yet.
Rael2009-09-16 14:04:18
What is wrong with the Scrying Pool? Or how will this wiki be an improvement over the Scrying Pool?
Unknown2009-09-16 14:16:20
I just want to know how we decide who is notable enough to be listed under "adventurers."
Kelysa2009-09-16 14:36:14
I've always preferred Xiel's site_>
Lendren2009-09-16 14:38:58
QUOTE (Rael @ Sep 16 2009, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What is wrong with the Scrying Pool? Or how will this wiki be an improvement over the Scrying Pool?

It has access to some developer information: for instance, the listings of skills include definitively accurate information about skill rank requirements to gain each skill.

Also, since it's an official Lusternia-run wiki, it will hopefully consolidate information all in one place. Of course, that still depends on people's willingness to contribute to it, but I'm already getting a lot of great contributions.
Estarra2009-09-16 16:46:14
QUOTE (Ried @ Sep 16 2009, 07:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just want to know how we decide who is notable enough to be listed under "adventurers."

FYI, I don't really care how notable a person is to be included in the wiki (should be out of novicehood!). However, I'd think it's up to individuals to submit their own history or blurb (with wiki admin oversight) if their name isn't on the wiki and they want to be included.
Estarra2009-09-16 16:47:22
QUOTE (Kelysa @ Sep 16 2009, 07:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've always preferred Xiel's site_>

I don't know Xiel's site! I'd be happy to include it on the resources page. Maybe he can help us out too!
Xavius2009-09-16 16:48:41
QUOTE (Estarra @ Sep 16 2009, 11:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know Xiel's site! I'd be happy to include it on the resources page. Maybe he can help us out too!

xieltalnara.googlepages.com
Estarra2009-09-16 16:49:10
QUOTE (Rael @ Sep 16 2009, 07:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's nothing wrong with the Scrying Pool! I think it's great! To add what Lendren said, an official lore wiki (which will be player run) also will also be more stable insofar as the owner won't be leaving or transferring ownership around or getting bored and closing it down for whatever reason.
Tervic2009-09-16 17:07:56
Damn, this is nice. (or will be, once it gets into full swing). I like the promise of stability, ayes.
Lendren2009-09-18 21:00:07
Three of the five systems on the Systems page were dead links and I had to remove them, which means Zarquan has the only systems listed there. If anyone has a still-working link to any other systems (free or for sale), please let me know.
Unknown2009-09-18 21:12:31
Palisade is so old now that I doubt it's much help to anyone who's not already enough of a coder to make their own...
Xavius2009-09-18 21:16:39
Looks like you were linking to Ethelon's old free system. That's dead. New one is http://wildinkdesign.com/ag/.
Lendren2009-09-18 22:49:26
Thanks, added that one. Anyone know any others?
Simimi2009-09-19 02:22:54
Would you guys want stuff Simimi or others wrote for the Deep Blue Cathedral? Or Sermons? Or old, unpublished, Tahtetso writings and such?
Lendren2009-09-19 11:54:48
Personally, I'd like to see things like that eventually, maybe not right away while we get the more basic "reference" material. But I'm not sure what other people think about the question of how much an official Lusternia wiki should include content that may or may not be 'canon'.
Zenon2009-09-20 22:36:25
Some updates to the hunting guide:

Lolliprin Valley:
Mention that ants are aggressive when you're carrying larvae.
I don't think rock hogs can be exchanged for gold, but there's an indirect way to get gold from their corpses.

Mountains:
Rockeater prices depend on the village - not all villages pay 75 gold.
Level 20 could probably take the fledgling rocs, but not the fierce and enormous rocs.

Nagaradja caves:
Nagakali cause paralysis and are a bit stronger.
Nagameth can entangle and break legs and are even stronger, maybe around level 45-50.
Also, at least nagaradja have an emote when near death.

Earth Plane:
Magnagorans attack forestals on sight, probably not Celestians now.

Inner Sea:
Again, mention the political changes - Celest is probably not aggressive against Magnagorans.

Gorgog caves:
The gorgogs enemy and team up.
They're never aggressive in the caves.
I can take them as a level 63 psychometabolism kephera Shofangi.

Astral:
Possibly separate the astrospheres.
Mention the passive damage you take without Astral in Planar.

Add the nexus worlds:
I think they're good from around 20-40.
Afflictions vary.
Lendren2009-09-22 12:12:07
Quite a lot of updates and new content are up, including the planes and aetherspace pages with aetherspace maps, a list of beasts and their sources, and a lot of updates in various places that have been sent to me by many people.

I've only gotten a few expressions of interest in becoming a chronicler and I'm starting to work on reviewing them, so if you're interested in contributing, there's still time to PM me. Be sure to let me know what kind of stuff you'd like to work on.