Firewall.

by Unknown

Back to Survival Guide.

Unknown2009-08-19 20:20:57
I'm trying to start playing Lusternia again, although my character Tadian was unfortunately deleted because I went inactive and didn't check sad.gif so today I decided to recreate him, however I cannot connect since I currently can only get on at a uni (home comp == dead).

And they have naturally blocked off the ports that allow access to things like MSN, IRC, Telnet.

Anyone know of any good solutions? I've looked around and tried an http tunnel program but it didn't work with the Nexus Client and I'm not sure how to configure something like that to work on a program such as MUSH or CMUD.

So would really appreciate it if anyone could help out!

Cheers,
Tadian
Llandros2009-08-19 20:57:37
The web client should work for you.
Unknown2009-08-19 21:06:19
QUOTE (Llandros @ Aug 19 2009, 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The web client should work for you.

Not if the port is blocked :|

Error: Connection timed out: connect
Lendren2009-08-19 21:16:05
Try port 2003 instead of port 23, that also works and most firewalls won't block it.

(Note: you will need a real client, not Nexus, to do this. Any will do.)
Unknown2009-08-19 21:17:33
QUOTE (Lendren @ Aug 19 2009, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Try port 2003 instead of port 23, that also works and most firewalls won't block it.

(Note: you will need a real client, not Nexus, to do this. Any will do.)

Thanks but I have already tried it, and it is also blocked -.-
Lendren2009-08-19 21:29:41
Then I think you're out of luck.
Zallafar2009-08-19 21:37:18
It seems simple to make a proxy server that switches ports for you, so I assume that someone has done it. By that I mean you connect past your firewall to the proxy server using an allowed port and then the proxy server connects to Lusternia on port 23.

But I have never actually heard of such a thing for telnet so I don't really know.
Unknown2009-08-19 22:07:19
Search the Aetolia forum for help on the proxy thing, it has been asked and answered there quite a few times.
Unknown2009-08-19 23:34:55
If you use shams mapper it has you connect to port 123 instead of 23.
Ilyarin2009-08-20 00:52:07
That's not quite the same...

Mudbot connects to Lusternia on port 23, and you connect to Mudbot on port 123.
Rael2009-08-20 01:12:06
Two suggestions:

If you own a laptop and you have a data plan for your cell phone, you can mud using internet tethering. The disadvantage is that data plans are super expensive, your connection will be sluggish, and you'll lose connection every time you answer an incoming phone call.

Another thing you could try is connecting to a remote machine. For example if you have a home server and an ssh client, you can connect to a remote machine and use that connection. A disadvantage is some initial setup, a slower connection and you would be limited to console clients like telnet. :\\ If you can't fix your home computer maybe a friend will be kind enough to leave their computer on for you.

Anyways message me in game if you need help trying either of these two methods.
Casilu2009-08-20 01:22:19
QUOTE (Rael @ Aug 19 2009, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anyways message me in game if you need help trying either of these two methods.

Am I the only one who sees a problem with that?
Rael2009-08-20 01:25:22
*headdesk*

Try your best and PM me over the forums if you're stuck. We can also arrange to chat if nothing seems to work.
Kante2009-08-20 05:38:17
QUOTE (Rael @ Aug 19 2009, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
*headdesk*

/looks at avatar
/looks at post

giggle.gif
Chade2009-08-20 07:18:31
No no no no no.

You're all doing it very very wrong.

His Uni probably blocks all ports except 80, 1080 and 8080. Maybe a few others too but as long as he has Port 80 (web browsing) working then he can bypass any firewall, as long as he is allowed to install software on his machine.

I showed Krellan how to do this but basically you need an application which creates a proxy tunnel, it sends all the data from your computer over port 80 to a server, that server connects to Lusternia and sends the details, Lust sends the details back to that server and it then forwards the details on to you along port 80.

Programs which can do this:

www.yourfreedom.net - this is your best option and is free, you can also pay to get a faster, more reliable connection.
www.mosha.net - haven't checked if this still works, but this service is free and designed specifically for bypassing firewalls to connect to MUDS. Not as good as Your Freedom but works in a pinch.

There are many other bits of software that do this too, just search for proxy tunneling software. You may also need to get proxifying software from somewhere, check the Your Freedom website and read the help/faqs to figure out how it works.
Unknown2009-08-20 15:58:08
It's working, thanks Chade smile.gif.

Using www.your-freedom.net, and it works pretty well for being free. The only downside is that it limits you to 6 hours a day, 18 hours a week and just to annoy you into paying makes you reconnect every hour.

But will look into similar programs, so cheers really appreciate it biggrin.gif.

Also thanks to everyone for the feedback.
Unknown2009-08-20 21:56:47
Never knew Your-Freedom was freemium. Meh, I use Circumventor for all my firewall avoiding needs. Now if only I could get java to work on it, the flash client is bothersome.