Lusternia with a gaming controller!

by Unknown

Back to Survival Guide.

Unknown2009-08-16 06:22:34
I bought a $10 Saitek gaming controller. It has a d-pad, two analog sticks, four shoulder buttons (or whatever they're called) six sick thumb buttons and two modes (pant).

Getting it to reliably do northwest by itself was kind of hard, it would usually go n! e! n! n! nw! and I would have trouble walking around. But I set the d-pad to just the main directions and one of the analog sticks to just the diagonal directions and it works well smile.gif In and out is pushing those in.

The rest of combat stuff should be fairly easy, there's enough buttons for all of the knight attacks if I use the toggle function in the controller (and maybe create a second toggle function through cmud and macros smile.gif.

Has anyone else ever tried this? I'm having a blast tongue.gif
Moiraine2009-08-16 06:25:17
rofl

You are win.
Unknown2009-08-16 09:22:54
Now all you have to do is get a gaming controller for speaking and emoting! jumpfire.gif
Zalandrus2009-08-16 13:45:36
Different simultaneous key combinations for different letters of the alphabet, and you're on your way
Fain2009-08-16 14:02:13
I've occasionally wondered about voice recognition for muds.
Aerotan2009-08-16 14:46:26
QUOTE (Fain @ Aug 16 2009, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've occasionally wondered about voice recognition for muds.

I've wanted to try that, but I can never find a place quiet enough. Or voice recognition software. It HAS to be doable, it makes too much sense not to be, and since you can train it to recognize odd words (like Celest, Gorgulu, or Fae) that means it could very well end up FASTER than traditional keyboarding, maybe even faster than aliasing, and theoretically with fewer errors.

Like I said, though, I don't have the software to try it.
Zalandrus2009-08-16 16:37:32
Should be possible, but can you imagine trying combat? Too many names are simply unpronounceable, and too many to be mistaken for another person's name. Is the cool-ness of voice recognition worth the large potential downside? ("WEST, god damn it, WEST WEST WEST. NO! Not northwest!!" *death*)
Ilyarin2009-08-16 16:52:28
Can you imagine?

"west west west west west northwest northwest south west in north north north north up enter portal north north north northeast northeast northeast north north down"

God that would be awful. Plus... If you played like that at uni, you'd quickly have a lot of time on your hands...
Arak2009-08-16 18:14:29
Hehe, not to mention you'd probably need to say something like 'send' or 'go' so it knows when each command ends. Twice the fun!
Moiraine2009-08-16 20:54:15
No no no

You use the controller for movement, and for fighting ("Thoros is such a pansy, he's easy. Just use UP UP DOWN LEFT RIGHT CIRCLE SQUARE SQUARE and you got'im!")

And voice recognition for talking/emotes.
Kante2009-08-16 21:48:26
QUOTE (Moiraine @ Aug 16 2009, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No no no

You use the controller for movement, and for fighting ("Thoros is such a pansy, he's easy. Just use UP UP DOWN LEFT RIGHT CIRCLE SQUARE SQUARE and you got'im!")

And voice recognition for talking/emotes.

Moiraine's got it right. The rest of you are noobs.
Unknown2009-08-16 22:06:53
QUOTE (Zalandrus Meyedsun @ Aug 17 2009, 02:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Should be possible, but can you imagine trying combat? Too many names are simply unpronounceable, and too many to be mistaken for another person's name. Is the cool-ness of voice recognition worth the large potential downside? ("WEST, god damn it, WEST WEST WEST. NO! Not northwest!!" *death*)

For targeting people, just use a series of triggers to keeps lists of names. The last ten people to attack, the people in the room, your list of enemies, the people on whatever X searching/scanning of area ability etc.

Then you'd target by saying "enemy 3" or "last hit 1" etc.

Moiraine2009-08-16 22:09:59
QUOTE (Teo @ Aug 16 2009, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For targeting people, just use a series of triggers to keeps lists of names. The last ten people to attack, the people in the room, your list of enemies, the people on whatever X searching/scanning of area ability etc.

Then you'd target by saying "enemy 3" or "last hit 1" etc.

Or just program in your own pronunciation.

Xerxes kicks you!

"Target skidmark. Facekick."

And, of course, for names you don't have programmed yet, just add the ability to spell'em out. "Target letters X E R X E S."

...I'm starting to want to try out this controller thing. biggrin.gif
Unknown2009-08-16 23:33:40
I'm having a great time with it. I'll probably post a youtube of me doing it at some point smile.gif But I start year two of law school tomorrow and already have many readings, so it's going to be slow going.
Lorina2009-08-17 02:46:36
All I can say is wow! LOL Crazy
Unknown2009-08-17 11:28:29
It would be fun to have group combat with voice recognized software... You'll be all...

RELEASE SHADOWS!
SHADOWDANCE CHOKE THOROS!

CPU REGISTERS:
release shadows
shadowdance choke thorns

shadowdance choke thors

NO! I MEANT SHADOWDANCE CHOKE THOROS
no i meant shadowdance choke thoros

Yes, that!
yes that

You have been slain by Thoros.

censor.gif
Tervic2009-08-17 20:02:49
QUOTE (Nicholo @ Aug 17 2009, 04:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It would be fun to have group combat with voice recognized software... You'll be all...

RELEASE SHADOWS!

CPU REGISTERS:

NO! I MEANT SHADOWDANCE CHOKE THOROS

Yes, that!

censor.gif

censor.gif

STOP TAKING ME SO DAMN LITERALLY! AAAAAH!

Sorry, come again?

Richter2009-08-18 07:40:42
I have a similar controller, might have to try that out.
Kyoko2009-08-18 13:23:25
And I though I was fancy with my laptop O_O

...How would you add triggers though? The only way to do so is by clicking on the trigger icon near the screen right?

...Right?
Unknown2009-08-21 20:01:40
I don't use the controller for everything, but it's fun for movement and should be fun in PvP.