Illithoids are serpents?!

by Viviere

Back to Chronicles of the Basin.

Viviere2009-08-15 03:59:11
So, I had an illithoid question that really never got answered. And instead of waiting for someone to look at an old forum topic, I decided to start a new one.

Anyways, I was doing some looking and noticed that on HELP RACES it says illithoid are serpent-like psionic vampires ((which is so bad ass!)) evil.gif and that Illith was nicknamed "The Leviathan" so I was wondering....would it be a stretch to say that illithoids are actually snake-like? You know, scales and tails and forked-tongue things.

Would be great if I could get the opinion of a Divine on this.
Eventru2009-08-15 04:00:32
Why not look at some of the illithoid in the Undervault - or, better, the pictures on the web page? I've always thought they were more lamprayish. Serpent-like would be more dracnari, really. Illithoid's are more slimy grey skin, ridges on their bald, bulbous heads, small sucker-like mouths with teethsies, and a sternum-opening where a giant worm pops out to suck up dead things.
Viviere2009-08-15 04:30:41
QUOTE (Eventru @ Aug 14 2009, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why not look at some of the illithoid in the Undervault - or, better, the pictures on the web page? I've always thought they were more lamprayish. Serpent-like would be more dracnari, really. Illithoid's are more slimy grey skin, ridges on their bald, bulbous heads, small sucker-like mouths with teethsies, and a sternum-opening where a giant worm pops out to suck up dead things.

eewww, I looked up some pictures of lamprey and....eewwwww. noway.gif
I liked my serpent idea better... oh well, one can dream. If they aren't serpent-like, then shouldn't that be changed on HELP RACES?
Diamondais2009-08-15 04:35:31
Oh, we have an infestation of those up here. The government employs students/interns to come up and kill them and help make the waters poisonous to the ones that invaded (there are those that are supposed to be here, but these ones are the huge ass variety)
Furien2009-08-15 04:37:07
QUOTE (Viviere @ Aug 14 2009, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
eewww, I looked up some pictures of lamprey and....eewwwww. noway.gif
I liked my serpent idea better... oh well, one can dream. If they aren't serpent-like, then shouldn't that be changed on HELP RACES?

It doesn't literally mean serpent as in scales, forked tongue and lack of limbs. Serpent as in, serpentine. Sinuous. Thin, perhaps with an oily sheen, deadly, menacing, etc.
Viviere2009-08-15 04:43:31
QUOTE (diamondais @ Aug 14 2009, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, we have an infestation of those up here. The government employs students/interns to come up and kill them and help make the waters poisonous to the ones that invaded (there are those that are supposed to be here, but these ones are the huge ass variety)

and here I was considering to go Canadian ermm.gif
Diamondais2009-08-15 04:45:36
QUOTE (Viviere @ Aug 15 2009, 12:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and here I was considering to go Canadian ermm.gif

It's pretty controlled for the most part and really only a problem on streams/rivers/canals around lakes.
Viviere2009-08-15 04:48:15
QUOTE (diamondais @ Aug 14 2009, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's pretty controlled for the most part and really only a problem on streams/rivers/canals around lakes.

all of which are reasons why I'd love to go to Canada. Oh well, the scenery should still be nice.
The scenery IS nice, isn't it?
Diamondais2009-08-15 04:49:34
QUOTE (Viviere @ Aug 15 2009, 12:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
all of which are reasons why I'd love to go to Canada. Oh well, the scenery should still be nice.
The scenery IS nice, isn't it?

Beyond beautiful around where I live, just lovely otherwise.
Viviere2009-08-15 05:06:31
QUOTE (Fireweaver @ Aug 14 2009, 11:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks for the bigger pic, really helped a lot. Dunno why I couldn't find it.... confused.gif

The more I look at it, the more I'm convinced they are serpent-like. Maybe not snake-like like I had originally...like ((lol)) thought, but I wouldn't compare illithoids to... lampreys twitch.gif
actually....they're starting to look a little buggish. Oh the mystery that is illithoids..... chin.gif