What is your favorite part of Lusternia?

by Shaddus

Back to The Polling Place.

Shaddus2009-08-08 07:12:14
I'm making this post because I'm curious as to why other people play Lusternia. I'm going to post a few rules, I would prefer if everyone sticks to them. If not, that's fine, but it defeats the purpose.

1. Make your comment, read other people's comments, that's it. Don't respond to others, don't argue with others, don't heckle others because you don't like their answer. Don't edit your post because you thought of what you should have written.

2. One post per person please. Just come in, post, and read the others. Is this a repeat of rule 1? Probably.

3. Explain fully.
Thoros: Because I liek mudkips
Isn't quite what I'm looking for.

Anyway, here is why I like Lusternia.

Though I enjoy combat, and I suck at politics/drama/sneakiness, I think my favorite part of Lusternia is being able to design items. Being a trademaster and designing items for others to use makes me happy beyond belief. Though I'm not the greatest designer, I always enjoy when a novice walks past me wielding an instrument I thought up, or a shofa I created from an idea that just popped up, or even when someone comes to me and gives me an idea for a new throne design. I've played video games in one format or another for almost two decades, and the ones I enjoy the most are the ones where I can combine weapons/items/armour and make things. (Arc the Lad series, Star Ocean 2-3, and so on). I've always wanted to be a blacksmith IRL (don't ask, I think it was a former life) and I honestly don't believe I would have been here so long if I couldn't design items for others to use. I don't know how many times I've decided to quit Lusty because I'm feeling burned out, and ended up suddenly thinking of an awesome jakari design or desk and logged right back on.

Hopefully some of you have similar stories on why you enjoy Lusternia and keep coming back
Diamondais2009-08-08 07:20:05
The History and ongoing store drew me in, combat may be difficult to get into for some people (which means me right here sad.gif ) but there's so many other things I can do it hardly matters.
Kyoko2009-08-08 07:21:47
Huh... This makes me rethink WHY I'm playing Lusternia..

Well, I meet some cool/nice people who become my friends along the way. Also, Beastmastery is awesome biggrin.gif I'm also striving for a title, which is what keeps me circling and getting guild ranks. Thats going to be epic :3

"The awesomeness Kyoko, Your Lord and Master"

-drools-

Lately however, I've found myself being on the forums than Lusty... I need to fix that
Unknown2009-08-08 07:39:26
The story and the degree of player control are what drew me in... why I stayed after those turned to poo is beyond me. Habit?
Viviere2009-08-08 09:13:52
Designing is what drew me in, along with the idea of an entirely new world.

But it's interacting with interesting characters that kept me from leaving. Some are weird, others are
a*@!&$es, and then there's the ones you fall in "love" with. That's life.

Also, I wanted to leave a legacy! A family of vivis! suspicious.gif
Karel2009-08-08 10:36:42
Nothing beats the player interaction. Meeting new people, seeing new faces, bringing my roleplay up against someone else's - it's totally boss. On the other hand, and sue me if this is a violation of the rules, but when people don't even try to roleplay it really grinds my gears.
Vathael2009-08-08 13:56:43
peeeekaaaaay
Talan2009-08-08 14:09:54
Quests and Glomdoring, not necessarily in that order. smile.gif
Unknown2009-08-08 14:21:53
Atmosphere. Lusternia used to have an atmosphere (at least, Glomdoring did). When you played your character, it was actual roleplaying, not simply hopping from one event to the next (event here is defined as anything from 'Kethuru being unleashed' to 'talking to a god' to 'trying to pass a guild test'). It was because there was a feeling that you were now in Lusternia, not in your room. Atmosphere died, roleplaying was removed, so you don't see me around much. Ta-da.
Lendren2009-08-08 15:27:31
What roped me in was the sense that this was a coherent and fleshed-out world, and then what sold me is the idea of Avenger ensuring that Lusternia could be played as a game about more than one thing. When I like Lusternia, it's not for any one thing but precisely for the fact that there are a lot of different fun things to do.
Eventru2009-08-08 15:37:23
What brought me was the idea of something new, as it would be my first MUD that wasn't several years old - fresh beginning, so to speak. What kept me was the amazing histories, the indepth environment, the events, the other players... A lot of things, really. I was always waiting for the 'next big thing', and I was -always- floored that if players really, really pushed for something to happen, nine times out of ten, it could happen. Glomdoring becoming an organization definitely comes to mind. What kept me here years later was the history, more than anything - I'm definitely a history buff, in and out of Lusternia - so I was always just awestruck by some of the stories (the Undervault definitely comes to mind).

Eventually, when I became an Admin, I had to reorganize why I stayed - I couldn't go bashing anymore, I couldn't socialize with a lot of the players I used to. I ended up finding that I really, really enjoyed GIVING something to Lusternia. People complain every now and then about this event or that area, and certainly it can be a hit to the ego. However, when you run that event that nobody complains about or you build that area everyone loves, you're just... I don't know. I feel like I'm walking on air! And when I'm building or doing patronly duties, I sometimes stop and say to myself, 'Man, years from now, I'll probably be dead from any number of unhealthy habits, but this'll still be here!'. And, by and large, my patron work, at least, seems well appreciated - and that just gets me all chuffed. cool.gif

Also, as other admin can probably tell you, I'm always waiting to see how players react to something. Not just the 'Are they going to hate this?' but how they react in general - will they play along with this twist in an event? What if one of the toys wasn't trying to kill them, but just decided to lazily lounge about eating gold all day? What if their guild tutor sacrifices himself, to ensure everyone else escapes, but is lost in the wreckage? What if that dead dude that's been asleep for an umpteen number of years, his spirit is sent down to protect his people? Seeing how players react and involve themselves in an event or roleplay just thrills me immensely. I'm always way too eager to see it. It's like reading a good book - I or one of the other admins might write the first twenty pages, and a general idea for the remainder, but a lot of times, it's the players who fill in everything between.

That, and I just can't get enough of the Elder War books. And who'd be begging Estarra to get the rest of them out if I wasn't here?! (On that topic, momma Tarra...)
Shaddus2009-08-09 04:04:43
-shameless bumpage-
Ardmore2009-08-09 04:36:12
I don't know why I play this game...
Unknown2009-08-12 06:51:40
The story. When the game first opened, I saw it had the Wiccan archtype and druids. I was an Arboreal at this time in Imperian. I figured why not and gave it a try. And I've been hooked ever since.
Dysolis2009-08-12 07:30:55
The reasons why I stayed in Lusternia where many, they came in number because I have played so many other mud's that where not as good as Lusternia. The rich history, the reason why I stay now Gaudiguch and I am not sure if anyone has recognized this or not but the separation of the elements. I love the mage casting class and Lusternia has by far the best mechanics for them. I felt that elementalism as a whole with only a few skills to pick from where just plain boring. When I mean Elementalism, I don't mean the short subset skill of Aquamancy or Geomancy, I mean the whole skill set from Achaea or Aetoila where all four elements are bunched together. Why not have an unique skill set for each of the four elements such as fire,earth,air and water instead of combining them into one. I enjoy playing as a Aquamancer and Geomancer and in the future I would love to be a Pyromancer.
Damadreas2009-08-12 08:08:58

Story, quests, RP, Combat, Politics.. all of it is interesting to me really. Plus IRE always has some of the neatest skill ideas and the flavour text to go with them. The style in general I guess.
Joli2009-08-12 15:36:01
I guess I play for the social interactions IG and some OOC. I really like roleplaying family and friendly relationships, not so much romantic relationships because those can be stressful. That's one of the reasons why I have actually stayed as long as I have. I've met a lot of new characters that look at Joli and see something other than just a bunny. I love sitting around with a bunch of girls and gossiping about weird stuff or brainstorming ideas for performances or plays with guild members. I like ACTUALLY roleplaying. I do really like roleplaying the racial stuff, but I see Joli as more than just, "I'm a bunny. KEESE ME NAO!" It's really neat to roleplay as this little fuzzy thing when everyone else is around 7 or 8 feet tall and it's even more interesting when they look down at you and see something like a little sister that they have to protect or at the very least tease the ever loving crap out of. I love good racial roleplay and lately it has definitely been lacking, but I've had a few recent encounters that have been really entertaining and adorable. Furrikin/Dracnari rp for example is adorable. Don't let race fall by the wayside, Lusternia! Come on Celest, I'm not Merian, you should be discriminating against me!
Ilyarin2009-08-12 15:47:23
QUOTE (Joli @ Aug 12 2009, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Come on Celest, I'm not Merian, you should be discriminating against me!

I tried to introduce this and everyone else shot me down. sad.gif Merian supremacy!!
Unknown2009-08-12 15:55:50
RP - Combat - History - Unfolding Story Lines - People

End of story

EDIT: Oh, and Eventru, cause his feces have cocaine in them.
Everiine2009-08-12 16:09:05
Lusternia was my first MUD ever, and the only one I still play. I spent the first few days walking slowly through the rooms, reading each description. I was amazed at the depth of the descriptions. What really got me to stay though was the Serenguard, how Malicia, the Big Champion, was kind and patient helping me out, and how everyone was willing to answer questions. And the RP. Love it, even though sometimes it's hard to find in some places.