Guild Administration

by Shiawase

Back to Chronicles of the Basin.

Shiawase2009-08-01 00:55:09
I was recently elected as Guild Administrator and to be honest I'm not sure what to do with this position. I mean, I know -mechanics- as in, editing files, favouring and what not. But the Ebonguard isn't a guild that really does much together and I have no creative ideas on how to get retention or bring the guild together. Before Shiawase was elected, she was totally intimidated by most of her superiors ( though Xenthos still kinda does ) and I don't really think Shiawase should be scared by the people she now works with. But she senses no connection to -anyone-, even though she has attempted desperatately to converse with her guildmates. There is also a lot of stangancy. Not many people advance far in the guild to persue other things. Do you know what I mean?
Diamondais2009-08-01 01:04:03
Yeah, you'll run into the stagnancy problem a lot with the Ebonguard. laugh.gif

I found one of the best things was to try and talk with the guild members, you don't have to be best friends but it helps to ask how they're doing (and you're doing well so far with that). From there you can get a pretty good idea of what people think about the guild, some ideas about what can be done, etc.

But be careful not to change too much, while the Ebonguard seems quiet and stagnant at times, it's at the same time a pretty stable guild.

Good luck!
Zalandrus2009-08-01 01:05:25
Try to fix that feeling of stagnancy and lack of connection! What the GA does is really up to you and your relationship with the GM. Some guilds' administrative structure (such as rank advancement) involve more GA work than others...I don't know much about the Ebonguard, but your goals should be to a) make sure the guild doesn't fall apart, then cool.gif gently push the guild towards the vision you and the other guild leaders share.
Shiawase2009-08-01 01:06:10
QUOTE (diamondais @ Jul 31 2009, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, you'll run into the stagnancy problem a lot with the Ebonguard. laugh.gif

I found one of the best things was to try and talk with the guild members, you don't have to be best friends but it helps to ask how they're doing (and you're doing well so far with that). From there you can get a pretty good idea of what people think about the guild, some ideas about what can be done, etc.

But be careful not to change too much, while the Ebonguard seems quiet and stagnant at times, it's at the same time a pretty stable guild.

Good luck!
Oh snaps. You're Rniaa. My mind just made the connection. >.>

I suppose you're right, but I guess you can't blame me for trying. tongue.gif
Diamondais2009-08-01 01:08:03
QUOTE (Shiawase @ Jul 31 2009, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh snaps. You're Rniaa. My mind just made the connection. >.>

I suppose you're right, but I guess you can't blame me for trying. tongue.gif

Yep, and you're not wrong for trying. It's not wrong to try and bring about the change you're thinking of, I just caution that you don't take it too far!
Shiawase2009-08-01 01:09:44
QUOTE (Zalandrus Meyedsun @ Jul 31 2009, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Try to fix that feeling of stagnancy and lack of connection! What the GA does is really up to you and your relationship with the GM. Some guilds' administrative structure (such as rank advancement) involve more GA work than others...I don't know much about the Ebonguard, but your goals should be to a) make sure the guild doesn't fall apart, then cool.gif gently push the guild towards the vision you and the other guild leaders share.

But the question is -how-. tongue.gif
Bael2009-08-01 01:18:33
EG is my favorite guild wub.gif.
Ayisdra2009-08-01 01:20:04
Small things always help. Guild hunts, Guild debates (something I just thought of recently that I haven't bought up yet). Talk with your guildmates and see what they like and try to make up a event for the guild to do that uses a few of the different likes.
Xenthos2009-08-01 01:23:01
QUOTE (Shiawase @ Jul 31 2009, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But the question is -how-. tongue.gif

The main thing here is to concentrate on guild togetherness and doing stuff together. More can flow from that. We do need infusions of new blood who are willing to help prod the rest of us into doing things every now and then!

Beyond that, keep on bringing up your ideas to me, we discuss them, figure out what to do with them... just now you also have the authority to continue on and implement them as well as doing payments, or whatever is required. You're essentially the internal Ebonguard leader, but really, we need more emphasis on doing things together and more day-to-day discussion of the Ebonguard teachings, etc.

We don't really need a massive overhaul behind the scenes I think, but more an overhaul in attitude and interest.
Rael2009-08-06 03:37:17
Hey you've just been elected as guild administrator! Could you at least pretend that you know what you were doing? tongue.gif

Not having been in any other guilds, I thought that this was just the way things were but now that you mention it the guild is kind of stagnant. o_O

For the most part everybody is pretty friendly when approached but I get the impression that everybody kind of wants to do their own thing. Part of this might be the fact that the guild is almost bipolar in that the senior members of the guild are all demigods that are off who knows where doing who knows what. On the other side you've got the younger ones like me who are struggling to learn the mechanics of Lusternia, need everything explained and generally get in the way.

One thing I've noticed is that we don't seem to get very many new novices period. When we do sometimes we may ignore them and that isn't really a warm way to welcome new blood. I've been guilty of this myself, but now that I'm aware of the issue I'll make a concious effort to help the guild grow.

Anyways for what it's worth I think you've been doing a good job. Your energy and enthusiasm is contagious, and hopefully you'll stir some of the grizzled veterans by example.
Diamondais2009-08-06 04:02:38
QUOTE (Rael @ Aug 5 2009, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey you've just been elected as guild administrator! Could you at least pretend that you know what you were doing? tongue.gif

It's really hard to know exactly what to do the first time you become an Admin, GM or GC. Some people easily pick it up and have great ideas, but others take it because they want to help and it's a learning process to them.
Chade2009-08-06 04:08:00
QUOTE (Xenthos @ Aug 1 2009, 02:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The main thing here is to concentrate on guild togetherness and doing stuff together. More can flow from that. We do need infusions of new blood who are willing to help prod the rest of us into doing things every now and then!

Beyond that, keep on bringing up your ideas to me, we discuss them, figure out what to do with them... just now you also have the authority to continue on and implement them as well as doing payments, or whatever is required. You're essentially the internal Ebonguard leader, but really, we need more emphasis on doing things together and more day-to-day discussion of the Ebonguard teachings, etc.

We don't really need a massive overhaul behind the scenes I think, but more an overhaul in attitude and interest.

What Xenthos said.

We need people who take more of an interest in guild stuff. I hit GR5 for the ability to set my own title, since then I haven't done anything because I don't really see a need to. If you can change that and make me want to get GR10 etc then you're doing things right. How you do that is a different matter altogether.
Shaddus2009-08-06 04:08:03
Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.
Kante2009-08-06 05:44:36
Occasional public beatings are key.
Shiawase2009-08-06 05:54:14
You guys are awesome. c: I adore each and everyone of you for the advice. I shall come up with something creative and orginal to have Chade want to get to GR 10 and on. I will have retainment, I will have togetherness even if I have to beat each and every one of you into submission.

Starting now. Be afraid, my lovelies. Very, very afraid.

However, if anyone has any neat and creative ideas on how to jumpstart this, I am more than open for suggestions. I suppose my brain needs a good, swift kick to get going. biggrin.gif
Kyoko2009-08-06 07:01:10
QUOTE (Shiawase @ Jul 31 2009, 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was recently elected as Guild Administrator and to be honest I'm not sure what to do with this position. I mean, I know -mechanics- as in, editing files, favouring and what not. But the Ebonguard isn't a guild that really does much together and I have no creative ideas on how to get retention or bring the guild together. Before Shiawase was .... Blah blah ect ect unimportant things

WHAT?!?!?! W-WHAT WHAT ABOUT YOUR BESTEST FRIEND?! argh.gif

<-----
Asmoth2009-08-06 11:02:16
QUOTE (Kante @ Aug 6 2009, 01:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Occasional public beatings are key.

First person who questions your authority, have them killed in your city executioner. That will teach them!

No seriously, good luck.
Chade2009-08-06 13:26:15
QUOTE (Shiawase @ Aug 6 2009, 05:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You guys are awesome. c: I adore each and everyone of you for the advice. I shall come up with something creative and orginal to have Chade want to get to GR 10 and on. I will have retainment, I will have togetherness even if I have to beat each and every one of you into submission.

Starting now. Be afraid, my lovelies. Very, very afraid.

However, if anyone has any neat and creative ideas on how to jumpstart this, I am more than open for suggestions. I suppose my brain needs a good, swift kick to get going. biggrin.gif

Chade beats back suspicious.gif
Kante2009-08-06 16:32:07
None of us are stupid enough to beat you, Chade. dry.gif

At least not yet.
Tervic2009-08-06 17:21:12
QUOTE (Kyoko @ Aug 6 2009, 12:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WHAT?!?!?! W-WHAT WHAT ABOUT YOUR BESTEST FRIEND?! argh.gif

<-----

Hey, you need to actually respond when your guildmates poke you.