Charity rune and influencing

by Unknown

Back to Survival Guide.

Unknown2009-07-30 14:06:41
So I bought a charity influencing rune. It says that it has to be attached to jewelry. When I wear jewelry, my prestige goes up, and my charity attacks become weaker. Kind of ironic confused.gif

Anyone know if you can attach it to something that won't raise your prestige and still have it work? Or does it just have to be in your inventory and not worn to give you the bonus? I don't want to attach it to something before I know how to use it correctly.
Shaddus2009-07-30 15:27:15
I'm somewhat sure it doesn't actually have to be worn, just on your person. Don't quote me on that.
Unknown2009-07-30 15:33:03
QUOTE (Shaddus Mes'ard @ Jul 30 2009, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm somewhat sure it doesn't actually have to be worn, just on your person. Don't quote me on that.

I guess the best way to find out at this point is to experiment. I'm somewhat worried since I don't know how much it is supposed to help, but if I start off without all of my buffs up (so that it takes like 7-8 hits for a tosha monk) then it might be safe to assume that a working rune would drop it by 1... hopefully the admin will be understanding if it comes to me asking for a refund, because I won't buy a second artifact (hat or jewelry gloves) to make this one work.
Ayisdra2009-07-30 15:39:14
In general I believe the runes drop the attacks need by one or two.
Unknown2009-07-30 16:06:24
Well, I tested with buffs on and off, and collar worn and not worn with the rune attached, and didn't notice any differences at any point with the collar worn, not worn, or dropped in a corner away from where I was. So this suggests that the jewelry and rune are canceling each other out =/ Going to file an issue on it.
Kelysa2009-07-30 18:46:04
I put it on a necklace and wear a tawdry scarf or shawl over it to cover it.
Unknown2009-07-30 18:48:41
QUOTE (Kelysa @ Jul 30 2009, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I put it on a necklace and wear a tawdry scarf or shawl over it to cover it.

... I wish someone had told me this was possible sooner, I wouldn't have filed an issue tongue.gif I swear I asked 5 or 6 people about this!
Zallafar2009-07-30 21:09:52
QUOTE (Jello @ Jul 30 2009, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I tested with buffs on and off, and collar worn and not worn with the rune attached, and didn't notice any differences at any point with the collar worn, not worn, or dropped in a corner away from where I was. So this suggests that the jewelry and rune are canceling each other out =/ Going to file an issue on it.

I have mine on a necklace and it does help a bit, even without a scarf. It can be hard to detect because it will only help with some denizens. Which other denizens depends on your other influencing buffs. It will be the ones that you were "close" to needing one less attack on already; it can push you over the edge so to speak.

Might not be worth 100 credits to you that way though. Even a non-tawdry scarf helps to reduce the prestige increase. Tawdry is better as Kelysa said.

In general, it seems that the more influencing buffs you have, the less help a rune is.
Richter2009-07-30 23:08:18
QUOTE (Zallafar @ Jul 30 2009, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In general, it seems that the more influencing buffs you have, the less help a rune is.

Oh lovely. I have all of the runes, and practically all of the other buffs I can get. Hope I didn't needlessly spend 500cr.
Unknown2009-07-30 23:43:47
Not very on topic, but...

Through influencing, you will also gain something known as esteem. You can IMBUE esteem into items, such as bottles (which are long-lasting, and generally sold) or flowers (which decay fast, but are more pleasing to the Gods) which will grant you karma that allows you to receive karmic blessings.
I couldn't find anything on this in the help files, but is it true?
Razenth2009-07-31 00:32:36
Wort wort wort. Of course. It was to answer concerns that in hunting, you could offer to give essence to your god and get karma but when you influence, you couldn't. Esteem fixed this issue. Or are you talking about the flowers thing?
Unknown2009-07-31 00:44:06
Yes, the flowers biggrin.gif And it would be even better to know how much more pleasing a flower is.
Lendren2009-07-31 00:47:11
QUOTE (Jello @ Jul 30 2009, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I couldn't find anything on this in the help files, but is it true?

It's not like it produces more in the logs, it's just that some of the gods might find it better from an RP standpoint. Certainly Lady Maylea would! I would think Fain might have a different viewpoint, though. (Personally, though, I use candy. Even Fain must like candy!)
Casilu2009-07-31 03:37:49
QUOTE (Lendren @ Jul 30 2009, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's not like it produces more in the logs, it's just that some of the gods might find it better from an RP standpoint. Certainly Lady Maylea would! I would think Fain might have a different viewpoint, though. (Personally, though, I use candy. Even Fain must like candy!)

I'm pretty sure he doesn't. I think Fain eats souls of the innocent.
Shaddus2009-07-31 03:42:18
QUOTE (casilu @ Jul 30 2009, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm pretty sure he doesn't. I think Fain eats souls of the innocent.

Merians aren't innocent. I don't think Fain cares so long as it's bloody. Hell, imbue some bloody needles for Him tongue.gif
Lendren2009-07-31 18:32:53
Even Fain has to like lemon drops. I require it to be so.