Money makin'

by Gleip

Back to Survival Guide.

Gleip2009-06-28 18:51:15
So, I've figured out that if I want to get much done, I'll have to earn the credits (and thus gold) to learn stuff. I'm curious what the best way to go about that would be though. Currently, these are my skills.

Common Skills Rank Pool
------------- ------------ ------------
Combat Novice Melee
Resilience Inept Fitness
Discernment Apprentice Intellect
Magic Inept Arcana
Planar Adept Mysticism
Discipline Capable Willpower
Environment Inept Communion
Influence Inept Magnetism
Beastmastery Inept Magnetism
Dramatics Inept Performance
Arts Inept Finearts
Aethercraft Inept Mysticism
Lowmagic Inept Arcana

Trade Skills Rank Pool
Herbs Inept Communion

Guild Skills Rank Pool
Kata Master Melee
Shofangi
Harmony Gifted Communion
Psionics Gifted Intellect
Psychometabolism

As you can see, I've chosen herbs as my tradeskill. From reading around, I hear that gives the best payoff. The question is though. When does it start to give good payoff? Should I learn up to Galingale, Reishi, Marjoram or just all the way to Sparkleberry before I focus on Psychometabolism? I want to alternate between harvesting and bashing to get the gold. Hmm... ah yeah. I'm a loboshigaru if that matters.
Daganev2009-06-28 19:13:55
Get the herbs needed for health, mana, and bromide refills
Klaermon2009-06-28 19:16:11
You can find that in the Scrying Pool wiki, by the way. http://scryingpool.wikispaces.com
Gleip2009-06-28 19:20:08
Quite a far ways in then huh? Oh well. It's easy to learn in the beginning at least.
Mirami2009-06-28 22:52:55
Galingale's your best bet for gold, as it's always needed in bulk. Again, Bromides/Health/Mana- much of the high-demand herbs you can get in 50-100 lessons, if I remember right.
I
Shaddus2009-06-28 22:55:42
If you can pick Galingale/Sargassum/Yarrow, you can provide 75% of health kegs. But you would need to spend mass time, as people would need the Galingale pretty much in groups of 800 at a time.
Kiradawea2009-06-28 23:04:41
Galingale is good for selling on the black market too, since it's only found inside forests. On your way to Juniper (the last health potion ingredient) you'll also get kafe and myrtle which you can sell on your own. And you'll also have all you need for mana.

Anyway, best of luck kid.
Damadreas2009-06-28 23:34:21

I'd venture dependant on your race/class that the most efficient way forward is to just bash... bash and bash some more. At level 75 Lobo Nekotai, I'm reaching a point with UV where I'm making about 30-40k per hour+ of just doing my normal bashing routine. I can't even clear most of the kephera without them repopping/corpses rotting etc, so that number will only increase.

It really seems as you reach 80+ gold can just start pouring in from bashing the right places efficiently.
Casilu2009-06-28 23:36:50
QUOTE (Damadreas @ Jun 28 2009, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd venture dependant on your race/class that the most efficient way forward is to just bash... bash and bash some more. At level 75 Lobo Nekotai, I'm reaching a point with UV where I'm making about 30-40k per hour+ of just doing my normal bashing routine. I can't even clear most of the kephera without them repopping/corpses rotting etc, so that number will only increase.

It really seems as you reach 80+ gold can just start pouring in from bashing the right places efficiently.

You still won't make as much gold as you would as an herbalist with gloves.
Damadreas2009-06-28 23:55:19
Stipulation: As an herbalist
Stipulation: With gloves.

Have fun transing Herbs and acquiring gloves in your situation.

You have to consider time spent here as well, in the same time you're spending using solely Herbs at a low level to acquire gold to spend on more credits to spend on more herbs to harvest more herbs until you can trans herbs. And at that point you're then using Herbs to save credits for your gloves, and then forward until you have -finally- reached the point that Herbs is a completely sustainable method for gaining gold/credits, you've not levelled at all.

I've harvested herbs in IRE games more then I care to remember. And it's not all rainbows and sunshine like people make it out to be.
Is it easy, consistent money? Yes.
Is it always the most efficient manner in making money? Rarely.
Casilu2009-06-29 00:01:09
QUOTE (Damadreas @ Jun 28 2009, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Stipulation: As an herbalist
Stipulation: With gloves.

Have fun transing Herbs and acquiring gloves in your situation.

You have to consider time spent here as well, in the same time you're spending using solely Herbs at a low level to acquire gold to spend on more credits to spend on more herbs to harvest more herbs until you can trans herbs. And at that point you're then using Herbs to save credits for your gloves, and then forward until you have -finally- reached the point that Herbs is a completely sustainable method for gaining gold/credits, you've not levelled at all.

I've harvested herbs in IRE games more then I care to remember. And it's not all rainbows and sunshine like people make it out to be.
Is it easy, consistent money? Yes.
Is it always the most efficient manner in making money? Rarely.

My gloves were free. When you can make 30 gold per a second, for an hour, there isn't much that can beat that.
Klaermon2009-06-29 01:00:45
30 gold? With what?
Casilu2009-06-29 01:33:53
QUOTE (Klaermon @ Jun 28 2009, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
30 gold? With what?

Sparkleberry or earwort.
Damadreas2009-06-29 03:46:14
Sparkleberry or Earwort = He has to harvest enough gold up to afford to learn Herbs to that point.

My point isn't really that Herbs isn't excellent money. It's just that you have to at some point level, and for my time spent hunting til atleast 80-85 seems much better time spent. At this rate I'll be able to purchase enough credits from bashing to 85 to get herbs easily up to a worthwhile skill level to make excellent money from it.

Just seems like it sets you up better then relying solely on herbs then afterwords going to bash your way up.
Mirami2009-06-29 04:55:17
QUOTE (Damadreas @ Jun 28 2009, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Only as a monk!
Damadreas2009-06-29 05:59:15

I won't venture that this is possible with the likes of a Wiccan/Druid/Mage etc, but accomplishing such as a warrior is certainly possible as well. Just saying.
Gleip2009-06-29 10:13:48
Since I'm a Lobo monk, I do bash a lot. However, I've yet to find any real gold-mines, and harvesting makes for a nice break from that. That, and I have this compulsive need to maximize every potential gain, so I enjoy replanting areas.

But thanks for the advice. Looks like I'll be harvesting lots of galingale from now on, at least until I can start harvesting sparkleberry and earwort.
Unknown2009-07-01 16:32:53
The easiest way to earn credits to is to be a decent coder with his own system. The second easiest is the herbs. Herbs was my first Transcendent skill and all the rest followed from just the sale of the herbs, not counting what I got from coding. It's rather time consuming, but it gets you out and about, at least.
Everiine2009-07-01 16:54:55
Find yourself a sugar momma/daddy who'll give you whatever you want.

If you can't find one, the methods in this thread are all good biggrin.gif.
Unknown2009-07-02 02:49:03
QUOTE (Zarquan @ Jul 1 2009, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The easiest way to earn credits to is to be a decent coder with his own system. The second easiest is the herbs. Herbs was my first Transcendent skill and all the rest followed from just the sale of the herbs, not counting what I got from coding. It's rather time consuming, but it gets you out and about, at least.

Nah, that's the second, the first is to make money by selling kittens for huffing.