Merians as a racial choice

by Unknown

Back to Survival Guide.

Unknown2009-06-26 21:10:58
QUOTE (Deschain @ Jun 26 2009, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Merians used to be a playable race? whatthe.gif

Oh wait...they still are, except they suck and no one does. XD

hey guys I'm going to play a certain race only because it's stats are good nevermind the fact that this is an RP mud and that it'd be nice to RP a certain race no I just want to kill people lolololololololol
Celina2009-06-26 21:18:45
QUOTE (Allison @ Jun 26 2009, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey guys I'm going to play a certain race only because it's stats are good nevermind the fact that this is an RP mud and that it'd be nice to RP a certain race no I just want to kill people lolololololololol

confused.gif
Unknown2009-06-26 21:32:51
QUOTE (Celina @ Jun 26 2009, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
confused.gif

I'm with you.
Rika2009-06-26 21:34:18
QUOTE (Allison @ Jun 27 2009, 09:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome to Lusternia?
Vathael2009-06-26 21:34:31
QUOTE (Allison @ Jun 26 2009, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds like fun, I'm glad we're both on the same page.
Kelysa2009-06-26 23:07:51
Some people don't RP so much as justify PK. Going to go insane pretty quickly if you don't learn to deal with it. >_>
Unknown2009-06-26 23:22:01
QUOTE (Allison @ Jun 26 2009, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Combat for the high end people happens at the margin. For those people, little edges and weaknesses matter- and Merian has more than a little weakness. For you or me, or people who aren't at that extreme, we can afford to play Merian, or Orclach (not that I'm complaining about orclach, just as an example), or whatever else our heart desires, and really, any weaknesses tied to our choices are going to be the least of our concerns if we run afoul of some high end freak.

However, since the race overhaul a yearish ago, Merian is just bad. It is too bad it is, since it is one of the iconic races, but at the same time they really strengthened Viscanti, a side effect of the changes made Merians... crap.

So, though it would be nice if people could play them in good faith, it isn't really fair to mock/make fun of people who abandoned a race that went from usable to trash a year ago, and hasn't been fixed yet.
Unknown2009-06-26 23:33:41
QUOTE (Rainydays @ Jun 26 2009, 07:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Merian has more than a little weakness

Merian is just bad

Merians... crap

a race that went from usable to trash

Merian specializations seem perfectly fine for me. For example, Imperial Merian:

Strength: 9
Dexterity: 10
Constitution: 10
Intelligence: 18
Charisma: 15
Size: 12

Level 1 EQ recovery
Fluidswim
Healing in water
Level 2 asphyxiation resist

Level 2 fire damage
Level 2 electric damage

I don't see why they "suck" unless you're not Celestian, which makes sense because I'd feel pretty weak if I were a fish creature and weren't living near the sea. I'd give an arm and a leg to have a race with 18 int and level 1 EQ recovery in any other IRE game, and the level 2 fire damage can be dealt with by enchantments and proofing, can't it?
Casilu2009-06-26 23:36:48
Since the rebalancing, balance and eq bonuses hardly notice. That would be a .5 eq bonus in any other IRE game. Intelligence means little in terms of damage and 120% damage from two damage types is very hard to balance out, even with proofings. I can't even hunt gorgogs as a Lobo since they do magic damage and I can't kill them fast enough to not die.
Unknown2009-06-26 23:48:13
QUOTE (casilu @ Jun 26 2009, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Since the rebalancing, balance and eq bonuses hardly notice. That would be a .5 eq bonus in any other IRE game. Intelligence means little in terms of damage and 120% damage from two damage types is very hard to balance out, even with proofings. I can't even hunt gorgogs as a Lobo since they do magic damage and I can't kill them fast enough to not die.

I guess I should be grateful that at least in Lusternia people play other races. In Imperian, 90% of all PKers choose either Akrabi, Ssylsin, or Sidhe - tankiness, speed, and intelligence, respectively. Ssylsin have 16 dex and level 2 balance, Sidhe have 16 int and level 2 EQ, Akrabi have medium-high str, con, fast balance, cutting/blunt resist, and a random-toxin sting attack once they hit level 50. Anything else and you'll get laughed off the face of the earth as the Ssylsin death knight breaks your limbs and vivisects you in under a second.
Unknown2009-06-27 00:13:57
The reason I say that Merian suck is basically because of what Rainy said - they nerfed equilibrium and balance bonuses to be basically nothing, but they didn't bother to reduce the effectiveness of weaknesses. And a level 2 fire/electric damage will get you killed fast, especially by knights with those elemental runes, and I think that electric in particular is a popular one.

Not to mention the ridiculously low 10 con, which would be near unbearable even without the weaknesses.

Also, the really high int isn't anything special. It's useless for a Celestine (we rely on speed, being able to tank, and timing). We never damage kill anyone unless you get a lucky hit in a group. For aquamancers it's more useful, but an Aqua Human will have more tankiness, and with sufficient levelling be able to get up to 17 int with a knowledge blessing. 17 is an important number, because stats peak at 17 and 21.

But, even if they can't get their int as high, it still doesn't matter that much. No matter what class you are, the battle relies more on timing and strategy than how hard you can hit. This is more true for druids than mages, though.

But really, I'm surprised at the rudeness and abrasiveness of your earlier commenting, considering how one of your first posts on these forums was thanking Estarra for removing -our- Idiots board because they encourage bad attitudes.
Unknown2009-06-27 00:20:21
QUOTE (Deschain @ Jun 26 2009, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But really, I'm surprised at the rudeness and abrasiveness of your earlier commenting, considering how one of your first posts on these forums was thanking Estarra for removing -our- Idiots board because they encourage bad attitudes.

Yeah, because having your own opinion sucks. We should all think like you should or risk being called "rude" and "abrasive". Anonymoose is legion! XD
Lawliet2009-06-27 00:21:46
QUOTE (Deschain @ Jun 27 2009, 01:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Stuff

This is quotes, not rants/raves/technical stuff.

(Wishes): Jozan (from the Prime Material Plane) says, "Who's biting my
property...er, wife."
Unknown2009-06-27 00:54:43
QUOTE (Allison @ Jun 26 2009, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, because having your own opinion sucks. We should all think like you should or risk being called "rude" and "abrasive". Anonymoose is legion! XD

Nnnnooooo, you were being pretty trollish there.
Casilu2009-06-27 01:14:07
QUOTE (Deschain @ Jun 26 2009, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The reason I say that Merian suck is basically because of what Rainy said - they nerfed equilibrium and balance bonuses to be basically nothing, but they didn't bother to reduce the effectiveness of weaknesses. And a level 2 fire/electric damage will get you killed fast, especially by knights with those elemental runes, and I think that electric in particular is a popular one.

Not to mention the ridiculously low 10 con, which would be near unbearable even without the weaknesses.

Also, the really high int isn't anything special. It's useless for a Celestine (we rely on speed, being able to tank, and timing). We never damage kill anyone unless you get a lucky hit in a group. For aquamancers it's more useful, but an Aqua Human will have more tankiness, and with sufficient levelling be able to get up to 17 int with a knowledge blessing. 17 is an important number, because stats peak at 17 and 21.

But, even if they can't get their int as high, it still doesn't matter that much. No matter what class you are, the battle relies more on timing and strategy than how hard you can hit. This is more true for druids than mages, though.

I'm the one who said that. crying.gif

Akui, WE MUST BECOME ONE!
Xavius2009-06-27 02:50:47
QUOTE (Allison @ Jun 26 2009, 07:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This might explain the Imperian incident a bit.
Casilu2009-06-27 02:52:15
QUOTE (Xavius @ Jun 26 2009, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This might explain the Imperian incident a bit.

Go try to start a war with the Achaea forums.
Xavius2009-06-27 02:57:25
QUOTE (casilu @ Jun 26 2009, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Go try to start a war with the Achaea forums.

I went to warn them about the impending forum changes in hopes that they could rise up and make it stop...and they went all emo on me, said the cool people were already banned, and starting cutting themselves. sad.gif
Razenth2009-06-27 04:02:38
Wait, were you joking when you mentioned that...? sad.gif
Fain2009-06-27 11:42:45
I've split this from the Quotes thread.

Be careful that this discussion doesn't become any more aggressive than it is or I'll pounce.