Karate-Kicking Helicopters

by Parabollus

Back to The Funnies.

Parabollus2009-06-22 02:15:26
Today's thread was inspired by the most recent strip on Penny Arcade, about the game Prototype. (Warning: adult language.)

Well, we have all these threads dedicated to ridiculous moments in Lusternia, why not one about other games? These ridiculous moments don't necessarily have to be an inherent feature of the game (such as being able to karate-kick helicopters), they could be caused by bugs for example. Bottom line is they should be hilarious. Heck, I wrote a whole Escapist article on them a while back.

The most recent example I can think of was my friend playing the 360 game Crackdown, and he just finished off the final boss of the Shai-Gen faction. Just for giggles he chucked the boss's corpse off the side of the building.

He actually got an Achievement for that - "Shot-Putter," or chucking any object in the game some long distance I don't remember exactly.

So yeah, general ridiculous/hilarious moments in gaming. Please post. freaked.gif
Aerotan2009-06-22 10:31:06
Blarghmuffins.
Janalon2009-06-22 12:37:44
The Honey Bee Inn in Final Fantasy 7.

This says it all: http://www.ff7citadel.com/secrets/s_honeybee.shtml

Xanfinro2009-08-25 06:18:25
I'm going to necro this thread, because I have nothing better to do.

Back in the day, I used to play Team Fortress Classic with a couple of friends. One was usually a sniper, the other liked to bounce between scout and heavy. Now, Team Fortress Classic has only a very few game modes, capture the flag being the most popular. One map had the flags sitting on top of a very tall tower which was itself on top of the enemy base. So you'd have to sneak or fight your way through the trenches in the middle of the map, through the enemy base, and climb the tower via a ladder on the OUTSIDE in clear view of anyone who happened to be looking, just to get the flag. And also the tower had turrets built into it that could be activated at any time, since it's just not quite difficult enough. Once you got the flag, a suicide jump off the tower where a teammate could pick it up would usually result in a flag capture. It was the opposite of a map like 2fort, which is much harder to get OUT with the flag than it is to get in. With the difficulty of actually getting to the flag in the first place, it was a fairly low scoring map. Usually less than 5 flag captures total over a 60 minute round until the map changed.

Now we played on a server that had friendly fire off, so you'd take no health damage when a teammate shot you. Important for spy checks, but not of much consequence. However, the PHYSICS of the rocket/grenade/bullet still affected other teammates, which made this whole setup work. In this game, the longer a sniper held down the fire button, the faster the bullet traveled, increasing damage and knockback. Now, my friends figured out that a scout (very light, so physics are super effective) jumping forward at the instant a sniper fired a fully charged shot at the correct angle would rocket the scout from the friendly base's roof to the enemy base's tower, hitting the flag on the way if he aimed right. Effectively making the distance from the base to the enemy flag 0 on the outbound trip. If you want a mental image, think of Halo 3's mancannons, mounted on the top of a building except for faster and higher. So a round that usually had 2 or 3 flag captures would have an ending score of 30 or 40 to 2. Yes, a flag capture every 2 minutes at the minimum. It was a little embarasing for the other team.
Lehki2009-08-25 07:56:36
Back when I played WoW during the Buring Crusade expansion, I was a shadow priest and did raids. My guild and I was still working on the lowest tier raid instance, Karazhan, and on this one boss, Shade of Aran. Aran was different from most bosses in that he chose a target at random and it was actually possible for somebody that's not a tank to take a hit without instantly dieing.

So basically what happened was, after a night of wiping on him, we got him down to 3% health or so when the last person besides me died. Everybody was freaking out because we hadn't ever gotten that close to downing him before and screaming at me to finish him off, but 3% is a lot of health for a single person to do a raid boss when I can only take like, 2-3 attacks without heals on me. But at just before I'm about to die, my spell to summon a little shadow fiend pet came off cooldown. Used that, and the boss actually turned around and started trying to blow up my fiend, and targeted it for like 3 spells in a row which it managed to live through. Used the time the boss was not killing me, to drop shadowform and heal myself, then switch back into shadowform. Was actually able to take another few hits from the boss, and finished him off with only a few seconds before he would have killed me. Everybody in the guild was spazzing about it for the rest of the night and wanted to replace our main tank with my shadow fiend.
Unknown2009-08-25 08:14:21
QUOTE (Lehki @ Aug 25 2009, 03:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Everybody in the guild was spazzing about it for the rest of the night and wanted to replace our main tank with my shadow fiend.

Tanks need love too crying.gif
Joli2009-08-25 08:37:09
In the game Thousand Arms.. You have to take the girls on dates so that they will offer their 'love' to forge stronger weapons for your party. Every single girl asks you if you would fart in front of her and I almost died when one of them gets HIGHLY offended if you say "No, I'd never do that in front of a lady." There are so many dirty jokes in that game, but it's sooo hilarious.. sleep.gif I love it.
Daganev2009-08-25 17:48:03
QUOTE (Xanfinro @ Aug 24 2009, 11:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm going to necro this thread, because I have nothing better to do.

Back in the day, I used to play Team Fortress Classic with a couple of friends. One was usually a sniper, the other liked to bounce between scout and heavy. Now, Team Fortress Classic has only a very few game modes, capture the flag being the most popular. One map had the flags sitting on top of a very tall tower which was itself on top of the enemy base. So you'd have to sneak or fight your way through the trenches in the middle of the map, through the enemy base, and climb the tower via a ladder on the OUTSIDE in clear view of anyone who happened to be looking, just to get the flag. And also the tower had turrets built into it that could be activated at any time, since it's just not quite difficult enough. Once you got the flag, a suicide jump off the tower where a teammate could pick it up would usually result in a flag capture. It was the opposite of a map like 2fort, which is much harder to get OUT with the flag than it is to get in. With the difficulty of actually getting to the flag in the first place, it was a fairly low scoring map. Usually less than 5 flag captures total over a 60 minute round until the map changed.

Now we played on a server that had friendly fire off, so you'd take no health damage when a teammate shot you. Important for spy checks, but not of much consequence. However, the PHYSICS of the rocket/grenade/bullet still affected other teammates, which made this whole setup work. In this game, the longer a sniper held down the fire button, the faster the bullet traveled, increasing damage and knockback. Now, my friends figured out that a scout (very light, so physics are super effective) jumping forward at the instant a sniper fired a fully charged shot at the correct angle would rocket the scout from the friendly base's roof to the enemy base's tower, hitting the flag on the way if he aimed right. Effectively making the distance from the base to the enemy flag 0 on the outbound trip. If you want a mental image, think of Halo 3's mancannons, mounted on the top of a building except for faster and higher. So a round that usually had 2 or 3 flag captures would have an ending score of 30 or 40 to 2. Yes, a flag capture every 2 minutes at the minimum. It was a little embarasing for the other team.

That is awesome!
was this figured out with just basic chat, or was there better communication than that?
Xanfinro2009-09-15 05:30:16
Nah, we lived next to each other. Can't coordinate something like that in text chat.
Aliod2009-10-12 04:08:35
QUOTE (Joli @ Aug 25 2009, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In the game Thousand Arms.. You have to take the girls on dates so that they will offer their 'love' to forge stronger weapons for your party. Every single girl asks you if you would fart in front of her and I almost died when one of them gets HIGHLY offended if you say "No, I'd never do that in front of a lady." There are so many dirty jokes in that game, but it's sooo hilarious.. sleep.gif I love it.

Nah, if you want a dirty game, Ar-tonelico 1 and Ar-tonelico 2 both for the PS2.

Anyway, awesome moment of Karate-kicking Helicopters. As some of you know, I am an avid Left 4 Dead fan, no other game has grasped the need to work as a team in order to get anything done that doesn't end with you getting free open-heart surgery from a hunter, or getting a buick lodged in your head by a tank.

Gregori, Aiyana, me and one of my friends that works at the local Gamestop were playing on expert, and to my knowledge if was the first time Gregori had played, any sort of game, with anyone else. But for the most part we were doing good made it through the first half of the chapter with no problems, except for Aiyana's scary ability to send shotgun pellets dangerously close to my head, yes friendly fire plays a huge role in expert games. One blast from the shotgun instantly downs you, and seeing as how most common infected do 20 damage when they hit you from the front and 10 damage from behind, things can go to crap real fast once someone is on the ground and unable to cover someone effectively.

We finally get down to the safe room after climbing down a truck, my friend and I had about 80 health each, Gregori had about 30, and Aiyana had just about 40. So we are at the safe room door, trying to keep the zombies off of Gregori and Aiyana, Aiyana passes the door first, a zombie runs infront of me and my friend, we both scream at the top of our lungs to NOT SHOOT IT and Gregori his the zombie with a point blank shell, the pellets penetrate the zombie, slam into me and my friend and we go from 80 health, to 2.

That is why Gregori wins the internet!

And for a graphical representation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G8m17Fh3d4
Tervic2009-10-15 20:40:42
QUOTE (Aliod @ Oct 11 2009, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh man, that's hilariously awesome.
Merik2009-10-15 21:05:24
Makes me wanna go play L4D so bad. Haven't played that in ages. sad.gif
Tervic2009-10-15 21:55:34
QUOTE (Merik @ Oct 15 2009, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Makes me wanna go play L4D so bad. Haven't played that in ages. sad.gif

Ditto.
Unknown2009-10-15 22:45:46
QUOTE (Aliod @ Oct 12 2009, 12:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nah, if you want a dirty game, Ar-tonelico 1 and Ar-tonelico 2 both for the PS2.

Anyway, awesome moment of Karate-kicking Helicopters. As some of you know, I am an avid Left 4 Dead fan, no other game has grasped the need to work as a team in order to get anything done that doesn't end with you getting free open-heart surgery from a hunter, or getting a buick lodged in your head by a tank.

Gregori, Aiyana, me and one of my friends that works at the local Gamestop were playing on expert, and to my knowledge if was the first time Gregori had played, any sort of game, with anyone else. But for the most part we were doing good made it through the first half of the chapter with no problems, except for Aiyana's scary ability to send shotgun pellets dangerously close to my head, yes friendly fire plays a huge role in expert games. One blast from the shotgun instantly downs you, and seeing as how most common infected do 20 damage when they hit you from the front and 10 damage from behind, things can go to crap real fast once someone is on the ground and unable to cover someone effectively.

We finally get down to the safe room after climbing down a truck, my friend and I had about 80 health each, Gregori had about 30, and Aiyana had just about 40. So we are at the safe room door, trying to keep the zombies off of Gregori and Aiyana, Aiyana passes the door first, a zombie runs infront of me and my friend, we both scream at the top of our lungs to NOT SHOOT IT and Gregori his the zombie with a point blank shell, the pellets penetrate the zombie, slam into me and my friend and we go from 80 health, to 2.

That is why Gregori wins the internet!

Wait, what? Penetrating Bullets do 0 damage to team-mates...weired.
Tervic2009-10-16 00:09:23
QUOTE (Kialkarkea @ Oct 15 2009, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wait, what? Penetrating Bullets do 0 damage to team-mates...weired.

Unless some of the pellets missed and didn't count as "penetrating". Afaik, the shotgun shoots a 'cloud', and if the first few pellets kill the zombie (as they would at point blank) the rest of the pellets don't 'hit' the zombie, but do 'hit' the players, thus dealing damage.
Aliod2009-10-16 06:43:48
That and Gregori has really bad aim

<33 you Gregori
Merik2009-10-16 06:55:56
I can't stop watching Criken's vids. The 10 vids of funniest fails or whatever had some absolutely fantastic moments, couldn't stop laughing.
Aliod2009-10-16 07:00:46
If you like those, look at Kilplixism. Good funny stuff