Mac OS X & Lusternia

by Damadreas

Back to Survival Guide.

Damadreas2009-06-06 05:14:44

I've seen past threads in concerns to this, but they're fairly old. Is anyone aware of or using a decent client for use in Lusternia on OS X? My main interest is bashing and RP not too much into combat for the time being. It just seems as if everything I've found is either relatively slow compared to mushclient/zmud etc or just... not.. polished or nice to use at all. Any help appreciated.
Unknown2009-06-06 05:17:40
If you're not into combat, I'd recommend either Tinyfugue or Atlantis. Tinyfugue requires opening Terminal and configuring things of which I've forgotten how to do (but there are instructions), Atlantis is more user-friendly. If you're wondering why bother using Tinyfugue, well, I think it's a lot faster and also has a simple and clutterless interface (it's just a terminal window after all).

Edit: And yeah, all those old threads you see about Mac OS X are still valid, because... nothing new ever comes out for Mac crying.gif
Damadreas2009-06-06 05:19:50

Sad panda. sad.gif

This is the only reason I've seriously considered dirtying my mac with a Window XP bootcamp partition sad.gif
Zallafar2009-06-06 05:37:59
I use TinyFugue on my Mac.

I also have spent an unbelievably enormous number of hours writing a system for it. Not that it matters to anyone, but what I'm working on at the moment is when a command is ignored due to stupidity or aeon, for example, that I restore the balance (e.g. herb balance) that I took away when the command was performed. Extraordinarily difficult to get right.
Isuka2009-06-06 06:46:37
I played Isuka for a long time on an Linux box via tinyfugue. TF is a great system, though a little heavy on the learning curve.
Gero2009-06-06 06:58:47
Macs are fine....as long as you have a windows operating system installed on it.
Charune2009-06-06 07:09:25
For a guide on setting up TinyFugue on a Mac: http://forums.lusternia.com/index.php?show...mp;#entry562626

I personally had been using TinyFugue on a Linux box with creating player systems etc. It's more annoying in that you have to create your own data structures, so things like ZMud's #forall are not built in. Learning curve is steep, but you can do anything possible with ZMud easily enough with TinyFugue. Zallafar - that sort of thing is just as easily done in either client, just involves setting values.

There's also Mudlet, which is still in Beta but has a Mac version. I've been using it as my preferred client in Windows 7 RC1 with no scripts running. http://mudlet.sourceforge.net/ has it.

Aramel2009-06-06 07:29:14
I have a Mac, on which I run Windows XP.

Yes, you may call me mad.
Isuka2009-06-06 08:37:54
QUOTE (Aramel @ Jun 6 2009, 12:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only benefit that windows truly offers is that it's distributed on open-architecture systems and supports virtually any hardware you'll come across. You've single-handedly given yourself the worst of both worlds.
Lawliet2009-06-06 09:37:39
Ah, I hated using a mac but only because I use nexus and use the little arrows to get around, and after moving I'd have to double tap tab to get back to typing, not that big a deal but bloody annoying for hunting and if you're getting jumped, it also had a... clunky... feel to it. Was an old mac, though.
Aramel2009-06-06 13:11:40
QUOTE (Isuka @ Jun 6 2009, 09:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only benefit that windows truly offers is that it's distributed on open-architecture systems and supports virtually any hardware you'll come across. You've single-handedly given yourself the worst of both worlds.

The reason I'm doing it is because Mac OS's text is too small for my taste (a fact I found after I'd gotten one). And also because I can run Mush on Windows.
Gero2009-06-07 05:43:53
QUOTE (Aramel @ Jun 6 2009, 12:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My friend has a mac and run's vista, it works fine he can do everything I can. Sure his parts are harder to exchange and more pricey but it works for him.
Unknown2009-06-07 16:30:57
Step 1: Mac OS X
Step 2: Wine
Step 3: MUSHclient
Step 4: ???
Step 5: Profit
Unknown2009-06-07 16:40:42
QUOTE (Zarquan @ Jun 7 2009, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Step 1: Mac OS X
Step 2: Wine
Step 3: MUSHclient
Step 4: ???
Step 5: Profit

I never got past Step 4. sad.gif
Mirami2009-06-07 19:09:51
Not sure why, but I had trouble with Wine on Leopard, and it's not technically supported yet...

Although, if you're a mostly noncom like me, Macawi wrote a Nexus system that can handle basic curing (No Aeon-workaround), as well as triggered responses to a good deal of stuff. Although, you need to keep backups of your reflexes or they disappear/break. Nexus also has the added benefit of letting you hop computers easily.
Arin2009-06-08 00:42:21
I always just used Safari and the Java client. As long as you don't enlarge the screen, you're peachy.

Found Firefox screws with it.
Mirami2009-06-08 01:29:50
QUOTE (Arin @ Jun 7 2009, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I always just used Safari and the Java client. As long as you don't enlarge the screen, you're peachy.

Found Firefox screws with it.

Yes, we call this 'Nexus'. Firefox on OSX messes up... everything. Safari works, though. Enlarging worked for me, though; you just need to be careful with your setting .

Unless you want to become a serious combatant, OSX + Nexus = good enough. I've got auto-influence-command-imput, basic curing reflexes, aetherspace triggers (which keep dying, but I think that's just because of aetherspace's spamminess), I could (and probably will) make rifting scripts, etc. Unless you need combat stuff, nexus can do just about everything you could want a client to, and it's very easy to learn, unlike Lua.
Arin2009-06-08 01:53:57
Enlarging it makes it sloooooow for me. Much laggage.

And yes, I know it's called Nexus biggrin.gif
Unknown2009-06-08 03:20:23
You maccies are crazy! tongue.gif

XP is a great OS with the SP's on it. Fast, clean, and easy to pop open and do all the fun stuff on biggrin.gif
Damadreas2009-06-08 05:58:20

Err.. I'm not a strong proponent of Apple, or Microsoft and largely for reasons related to being a student I'm going to install a form of windows eventually.
And I'm not exactly familiar with Wine.

TinyFugue eh... I'll give it a shot.