Racial Languages

by Mirami

Back to Chronicles of the Basin.

Mirami2009-05-27 04:44:04
Now, I play a Loboshigaru. We loboshigaru tend to use our racial language. A lot. Apparently, it drives some people mad. Personally, I really don't care if other races use their languages; it just seems that the only times other racial languages are used, it's to try to annoy me and/or other lobos who are already talking in loboshigaru.

So, I'm curious. Do other races use their languages much ? and If they do, when/why do they?

so, quick answers to the questions: Loboshigaru DO use their language a lot, and we use it mostly for race-related RP, such as questions about packs, etc. that many others would find wasteful/uninteresting to hear.
Aerotan2009-05-27 05:33:56
I used to see elfen using it in Seren from time to time. And I try to use Aslari when I can get away with it. The small number of people with it as a language is a bit prohibitive, though.
Unknown2009-05-27 06:21:55
I can't say much about races, but the Blacktalon use CROW SPEAK in rituals often enough, and when we're talking about private/guild things around other people. It's fun to be inclusive sometimes, it makes me feel like Ried's a part of some big cult.
Casilu2009-05-27 06:38:08
QUOTE (Ried @ May 26 2009, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't say much about races, but the Blacktalon use CROW SPEAK in rituals often enough, and when we're talking about private/guild things around other people. It's fun to be inclusive sometimes, it makes me feel like Ried's a part of some big cult.

Don't drink Viravain's Koolaid.
Gero2009-05-27 08:07:33
QUOTE (Romertien @ May 26 2009, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now, I play a Loboshigaru. We loboshigaru tend to use our racial language. A lot. Apparently, it drives some people mad. Personally, I really don't care if other races use their languages; it just seems that the only times other racial languages are used, it's to try to annoy me and/or other lobos who are already talking in loboshigaru.

So, I'm curious. Do other races use their languages much ? and If they do, when/why do they?

so, quick answers to the questions: Loboshigaru DO use their language a lot, and we use it mostly for race-related RP, such as questions about packs, etc. that many others would find wasteful/uninteresting to hear.

I'm krokani effectively mean I can talk to 3 people or so...happy.gif
Harkux2009-05-27 09:56:20
If Keph had a language, I'd use it :|
Arix2009-05-27 10:09:29
I get yelled at if I speak anything other than common, though usually the people who do so are generally just trying to provoke me anyway
Xenthos2009-05-27 11:35:32
QUOTE (Romertien @ May 27 2009, 12:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I use Elfen very rarely. Most of the time I use it these days is when a person is talking in Loboshi in public for some completely unknown reason (especially when this person is actually trying to communicate to the group). I'm not sure why anyone would keep themselves locked in the racial language most of the time. It would not be anywhere near as annoying if it was something that was done rarely / for specific reasons, but when done by default... I see that as being very rude on an IC level.

Think about it-- you have two friends come over. They know another language. You are talking, then suddenly they turn to each other and continue the conversation in Portuguese. You are completely left out of everything except the body language... and they're doing it specifically for that purpose. It is not even for just a few comments, but they keep on talking in Portuguese for the rest of the day.

I tend to use Elfen because most people in Glomdoring can actually understand it-- Crow speak is a lot more limited. There have been a few incidences using Elfen in a City/Commune gathering, though (it's also a common language between orgs).

There are times to enjoy / use racial languages, and I feel most of them are underused. At the same time, it does feel like the Loboshigaru's language is overused by a few. Note that this use is not even for things about packs or the like, but normal conversations in the middle of Glomdoring with Illithoid (who can understand all languages). Location plays a big role as well-- some "neutral" ground (like the Aetherplex) is fine, or an out-of-the-way spot in Glomdoring (where, if someone stumbles by, they won't catch the gist of the conversation), but nattering on at / near the Nexus is a different story.
Krackenor2009-05-27 12:22:25
I'm fine with racial languages being spoken, but then again, I'm Illithoid. I've been used as a translator before, which was pretty fun.
Everiine2009-05-27 12:50:55
I feel the nexus is a perfectly acceptable place to use racial languages. People influence guards there, def up, draw power, and have the most ridiculous conversations there as it is. Having a conversation in a racial language doesn't add any more craziness than there already is.
Xenthos2009-05-27 15:19:54
QUOTE (Everiine @ May 27 2009, 08:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I feel the nexus is a perfectly acceptable place to use racial languages. People influence guards there, def up, draw power, and have the most ridiculous conversations there as it is. Having a conversation in a racial language doesn't add any more craziness than there already is.

At your nexus, maybe! But I feel that it is a conscious choice to do this, and if the person is choosing to switch over to racials for whatever reason at the Nexus, it is well within my right to see it as being rude. Just as I would in my aforementioned scenario.
Unknown2009-05-27 15:48:44
Be a bookbinder or an illithoid, it solves all of your language problems. biggrin.gif
Krackenor2009-05-27 15:54:24
not quite...if you're an illithoid you have to convince them that when you speak, you speak directly into their mind using thoughts, not words. That way, they can feasibly understand what you say.
Casilu2009-05-27 16:01:01
Well, Casilu utterly refuses to speak Loboshigaru. There was a time when she went crazy as a faeling and refused to speak common because it was the language of the cities or some-such and she had to get Meliana to translate for her. That was fun.
Unknown2009-05-27 16:16:44
Meh, if there was an option to learn languages outside of bookbinding then it wouldn't be such a big issue.
Xenthos2009-05-27 17:03:32
QUOTE (Ried @ May 27 2009, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Be a bookbinder or an illithoid, it solves all of your language problems. biggrin.gif

It would solve it for one person. It does not change my opinion that doing so (depending on location / circumstance) is incredibly rude to those around you.

Especially as it is, in many ways, intended to be rude!
Arel2009-05-27 17:33:47
No one speaks lucidian, so I only use it when speaking those phrases you have to use to get into certain locations, like the guildhall, etc. Being a bookbinder, I do have conversations with dracnari in that racial language, but it is a rare thing.
Mirami2009-05-27 18:00:13
QUOTE (Xenthos @ May 27 2009, 10:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It would solve it for one person. It does not change my opinion that doing so (depending on location / circumstance) is incredibly rude to those around you.

Especially as it is, in many ways, intended to be rude!

See, that's what I disagree with. I don't speak loboshigaru to be rude; rather, speaks it as a courtesy, and almost always for the sole purpose of racial RP. I don't do it just to piss people off, and I doubt many others do if they're actually talking to people.

Also, I agree with Jozan- if there was a way to learn languages besides bookbinding (Say, an artifact), it would be less of an issue to those who take offense at players making use of a system that's been built into the game and used for the intended purpose (Racial RP).

If you want to use elfen, Go for it! I just don't see any elfen using it anymore, except to try and bug me when I speak loboshigaru...
Unknown2009-05-27 18:47:09
I always speak human, for rp purposes.
Xenthos2009-05-27 21:35:39
QUOTE (Romertien @ May 27 2009, 02:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
See, that's what I disagree with. I don't speak loboshigaru to be rude; rather, speaks it as a courtesy, and almost always for the sole purpose of racial RP. I don't do it just to piss people off, and I doubt many others do if they're actually talking to people.

Also, I agree with Jozan- if there was a way to learn languages besides bookbinding (Say, an artifact), it would be less of an issue to those who take offense at players making use of a system that's been built into the game and used for the intended purpose (Racial RP).

If you want to use elfen, Go for it! I just don't see any elfen using it anymore, except to try and bug me when I speak loboshigaru...

I have no experience with how you use it, so I can't really discuss whether or not how you use it "feels" appropriate to me (from what you say, it's fine). From my own experience, though, that's not how it's being used by others who I do have more interaction with.

Also: You're completely within your right to use the mechanic! It's not a bad thing to do at all. Other characters are, however, equally within their right to think it is rude / whatever and their reactions are justified. Just like the stereotypical French* reaction to an American who visits and can barely speak their language, having to fall back on English. Your character is making a conscious choice to speak in a different language (despite being fluent in Common), and the people around you react to your choice.

* My experience there is actually that most of them are pretty understanding and like tourist money as long as you're willing to try. Silly stereotypes.